F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Can a tune be backed up
ARMA SPEED

05-02-2020, 10:59 PM   #1
nickf30n55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I'm planning to go to bootmod3 soon but dinan released their flash tune I will be getting mine switched from their piggyback to their flash tune free of charge so I was wondering if I can back that tune up so when I sell the car I would like to flash it back hopefully to increase the value ( please don't tell me dinan is trash, oh you wasted your money on it. Car came with it period and I didn't pay anything extra for it, thank you .)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 09:34 AM   #2
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Consider that you might also be charged to remove the Dinan flash when you want to run BM3. BM3 is going to be much more user friendly because you can do the work in your garage.

I'm not sure if BM3 can flash over Dinan without it being removed. Probably? If BM3 can write over Dinan, you can save the stock tune. It's worth looking into. Good luck and please let us know what you think of the Dinan flash!
      05-03-2020, 01:53 PM   #3
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickf30n55 View Post
I'm planning to go to bootmod3 soon but dinan released their flash tune I will be getting mine switched from their piggyback to their flash tune free of charge so I was wondering if I can back that tune up so when I sell the car I would like to flash it back hopefully to increase the value ( please don't tell me dinan is trash, oh you wasted your money on it. Car came with it period and I didn't pay anything extra for it, thank you .)
My understanding is that BM3/MHD always backup your current tune whenever you first install/flash. So whether that is the "base" n55 tune, MPPK, or whatever, that would be the map you revert back to when you "flash back to stock" and uninstall BM3/MHD. I don't think anyone has verified this specifically for Dinan since it just came out, but the idea is the same.
Appreciate 2
ronanz1821.00
1QuikWS61621.50
      05-03-2020, 03:41 PM   #4
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
My understanding is that BM3/MHD always backup your current tune whenever you first install/flash. So whether that is the "base" n55 tune, MPPK, or whatever, that would be the map you revert back to when you "flash back to stock" and uninstall BM3/MHD. I don't think anyone has verified this specifically for Dinan since it just came out, but the idea is the same.

This ^^

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 11:10 PM   #5
nickf30n55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdegene View Post
Consider that you might also be charged to remove the Dinan flash when you want to run BM3. BM3 is going to be much more user friendly because you can do the work in your garage.

I'm not sure if BM3 can flash over Dinan without it being removed. Probably? If BM3 can write over Dinan, you can save the stock tune. It's worth looking into. Good luck and please let us know what you think of the Dinan flash!
Quote:

For sure I have a wide selection of fbo 335is I can race from our squad
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 03:28 PM   #6
nickf30n55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:

Just got it tuned yesterday there's more power nothing crazy something you would expect from dinan I'll make a full post with videos after I do all the pulls with my friends but worst part is they turn the burbles off in manual when you are in sport and sport+ but they can reverse that if you ask them.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 04:00 PM   #7
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Yes

I had the AA Stg2 Flash tune installed b4 I installed my custom BM3 tune

I could have went thru the trouble of flashing my car back to stock 1st using the AA tune (which saved my original factory tune) then installed BM3, but I never really want to go back to stock tune due to all my mods, so I simply let the BM3 tune backup the AA Stg2 tune as my 'oem' stock tune

If I ever remove the BM3 it will flash back to the AA Stg2 tune as my 'factory' - if for any reason I do want to go back to original stock tune - I'll just flash over the BM3 (or AA Stg2) with my AA backed up stock tune
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 1
harkes1084.00
      05-06-2020, 04:36 PM   #8
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Just got it tuned yesterday there's more power nothing crazy something you would expect from dinan I'll make a full post with videos after I do all the pulls with my friends but worst part is they turn the burbles off in manual when you are in sport and sport+ but they can reverse that if you ask them.
So you got the dinan flash installed? And are you still planning to BM3?

If you can capture some good logs with the dinan tune, and then with the bm3 tune, i would be very interested to see how they compare to each other in virtual dyno. This is the best you can get short of actual dyno session or draggy data.
Appreciate 1
harkes1084.00
      05-06-2020, 04:43 PM   #9
nickf30n55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

If you can capture some good logs with the dinan tune, and then with the bm3 tune, i would be very interested to see how they compare to each other in virtual dyno. This is the best you can get short of actual dyno session or draggy data.
Quote:
Quote:

I'll see what I can do but but it will be couple months before I get bm3 but I can tell you right now that same car as me mhd takes me about a car then I keep up
Appreciate 0