F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Swift Sports Spec-R Spring Review
Extreme Powerhouse

04-29-2020, 02:20 PM   #1
YEET82
Lurker
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Swift Sports Spec-R Spring Review

Here is a link to what I purchased: https://www.vividracing.com/swift-sp...151455458.html

Car: 2016 340i RWD w/ adaptive suspension

I installed these springs "professionally" (my friend's friend was a mechanic) and it took him about 5 - 6 hours. I honestly believe it could have been faster but he was very meticulous about the work he was doing and I appreciated it.

Before the springs, I felt the ride was a little bit boaty and I was always floating on top of the road. The OEM springs were definitely soft and made the driving experience feel very "luxurious" for lack of a better term. The sports mode was what I really liked driving in because it stiffened the suspension and I felt like I had more control as a result of the adaptive suspension.

Now after the springs, normal driving in comfort mode feels like its always in sports mode. And sports mode feels even better given the even stiffer (but not too much) suspension. I feel very comfortable in turns (did not track the car) at high speeds. It does take some getting used to because I now avoid even the smallest potholes if I can because I dont want to blow the shocks since I am using the OEM bump stops.

Overall it is a good investment to the budget H&R lowering springs which I hear isn't that good for daily driving. I would definitely recommend it and it lowers the car by 1 - 1.5 inches as well so it looks good.

Before:
View post on imgur.com

After:
View post on imgur.com

Last edited by YEET82; 04-29-2020 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: Image not loading
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2020, 05:03 PM   #2
kilogram
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive

Hey, when you get a chance could you post measurements on the drop? Ground to fender at all 4 corners would be ideal. I'm looking at doing these on an xDrive and I want to figure out where it's gonna land with the extra weight on the front axle (I'm guessing 10mm further dropped than these pics) and if I'll need to design some parts to make it work...

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 05:17 PM   #3
blumagic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xdrive , 2013 SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilogram View Post
Hey, when you get a chance could you post measurements on the drop? Ground to fender at all 4 corners would be ideal. I'm looking at doing these on an xDrive and I want to figure out where it's gonna land with the extra weight on the front axle (I'm guessing 10mm further dropped than these pics) and if I'll need to design some parts to make it work...

Thanks!
User Skier_du ran this setup, bottom of this page:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1495834&page=7

10mm looks about accurate
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 08:48 PM   #4
kilogram
Private
Rep

That is good info, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 09:12 AM   #5
kilogram
Private
Rep

Finally got mine installed, 2016 340i xDrive w/ adaptive suspension:
View post on imgur.com

I designed and machined a set of 3/8" spacers to sit under the front spring perch to help with the front dropping too much. The added weight of the xDrive calculates out to about 9mm of extra drop in the front based on the wheel rates (that's BEYOND what it drops on a RWD).

I also installed Millway camber plates (street) at the same time, so the spacers gets bolted between the lower spring pillar and the mount plate (blue parts in the solidworks model):
View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Doing it this way also spaces the surface on the camber plate that the bump stop rides on down 3/8 inch so the bump stop rides in the same reference plane as the top of the spring.

These are paired with F80 bump stops front and rear.

Ride is actually really good. A little harsher than stock, but no harsher than my wife's Civic, or my old 350Z. Handling is much better- crisper turn-in, less body roll, MUCH less dive under braking, and less understeer. Swift does a great job engineering their springs to suit the new suspension geometry, IMO. It's not just the same spring but a little shorter and stiffer, they take into account how the roll centers move and adjust the spring rates to prevent a front to rear roll gradient that makes the car feel like it's falling over onto the outside rear tire. This was exactly what I was looking for.

I may pull the spacers next spring to see how it looks, but I'm happy with where it sits right now.
Appreciate 0