BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 LCI vs M340i xDrive for main car

04-28-2020, 01:09 AM   #1
brandobmw
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

M2 LCI vs M340i xDrive for main car

As title suggests- I know these cars are so wildly different. Use = daily driver likely in Alberta Canada.

The logical brain- I will likely be in Canada. M340i is xDrive. Can drive this year round through snow.
This car is faster than an M2 (at least in a straight line) and more comfortable/room/convenient.
Also, I am in my Low to mid twenties. I likely will have less of a chance of wrecking this than a RWD M2 (not that I will drive too too irresponsibly, just... this is my first real performance car).

The emotional brain- that sound of the LCI M2 with the N55 going through an M Performance Exhaust is unreal. It’s a “real M” car. It feels maybe a little more fun. It getting mildly squirrelly when you step on it is thrilling. The “cool factor” and looks.

Anyone have experience with both cars? I know it’s kinda pointless me asking since I already outlined pros and cons, but. Any thoughts from people familiar with both are much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 02:10 AM   #2
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

are you going to lease or buy? lease the m340i is dirt cheap...if you buy...the m2 has better resale value. You should also add things like depreciation costs into your total ownership costs. M2 can be driven year around long as you have winter tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 02:25 AM   #3
brandobmw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
are you going to lease or buy? lease the m340i is dirt cheap...if you buy...the m2 has better resale value. You should also add things like depreciation costs into your total ownership costs. M2 can be driven year around long as you have winter tires.
I would be buying not lease.

See, I know m340 will prob depreciate more but also warranty coverage and pre paid maintenance on CPO 2020 vs 2018 m2 might make up for that, and chewing through less tires possibly haha. do you winter drive m2?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 06:38 AM   #4
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M2

Personally, I think the M340i looks fantastic (despite its "Lexusy' rear end) especially with some M-Performance Carbon Fiber bits. The interior and its technology is a massive upgrade to the M2 as well. While it may not handle like a M2, it's quite quick. The M340i will have lighter steering since its made for comfort and your rear passenger will appreciate the little extra room and rear door convenience. As others have stated though, M2 will have better resale value.

The M340i may make more sense per your location, but honestly, your best option is to test drive the two and see which one you like better.

Last edited by StarMan; 04-28-2020 at 06:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
Fuller1216.50
      04-28-2020, 06:39 AM   #5
BostonM235xi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandobmw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
I would be buying not lease.

See, I know m340 will prob depreciate more but also warranty coverage and pre paid maintenance on CPO 2020 vs 2018 m2 might make up for that, and chewing through less tires possibly haha. do you winter drive m2?
There's a decent price difference if your buying - 2018 M2 cost 44-45k, M340xi will run 57k base, in the US...
Logically based on where you live M340xi, I had a similar decision. I live in Boston, weather sucks. M2 or M240xi? I've had the M240xi for a year zero regrets, tons of mods later lol. My vote M340xi 👍🏻
      04-28-2020, 08:50 AM   #6
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
For me the M340i is too big. The real decision is whether you need four doors or not. If you need a four door car, I would consider an M235i GC.

Last edited by DanG; 04-29-2020 at 08:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 10:02 AM   #7
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
For me the M240i is too big. The real decision is whether you need four doors or not. If you need a four door car, I would consider an M235i GC.
Just keep in mind that the m235i is very different from an m340i or anything in the 2 series line up. The m235i is a front wheel drive mini with a bmw badge. At that point you'd might as well just get a golf, civic type r, used focus rs or some other hot hatch. Not that I dislike the m235i in of itself, but it's not comparable to an m2 or m340i, and not really that special. Imo, one can do better for the money in the sporty fwd compact segment.

In regard to op's question of m2 vs m340i, you've got to drive both before deciding. Do you prefer fast, stylish refinement, or brash, loud, raw cars? There's also the size difference. The m2 will obviously feel more playful with it's shorter wheel base. If I was in your shoes, and didn't need 4 doors, I'd go with the m2. The time will come where you'll be shopping for suvs or big, practical 4 door sedans. Enjoy not having to while you can.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 11:33 AM   #8
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Thinking about depreciation is a moot point unless you plan to sell it after a year. And even then, in today's market or next years, it's going to be terrible for a used car.

I use to live in Alberta when I was younger so completely understand the driving situation. I would still get the M2 for the "special" aspect and with some good winter tires and sensibility, you should be fine 90% of the time. The other 10%, take an Uber if you have to drive lol.

The question you have to ask yourself is, with the M2 already engrained. If you get the non-M. Will you still be happy reflecting on what you could have gotten?

Also you didn't mention if you were getting a manual for the M2. For me personally, that makes a huge difference and adds to the fun factor
      04-28-2020, 07:36 PM   #9
brandobmw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
Thinking about depreciation is a moot point unless you plan to sell it after a year. And even then, in today's market or next years, it's going to be terrible for a used car.

I use to live in Alberta when I was younger so completely understand the driving situation. I would still get the M2 for the "special" aspect and with some good winter tires and sensibility, you should be fine 90% of the time. The other 10%, take an Uber if you have to drive lol.

The question you have to ask yourself is, with the M2 already engrained. If you get the non-M. Will you still be happy reflecting on what you could have gotten?

Also you didn't mention if you were getting a manual for the M2. For me personally, that makes a huge difference and adds to the fun factor

Think an M2 will handle Edmonton roads?? Haha, I’ve test driven quite a few performance cars on dry road but never owned one/been in bad driving weather.

I don’t know how an M2 is on the highway in pouring rain, hydroplaning/getting squirrely in the rear end etc, hitting ice. The last thing I want to do is wreck a car I’ve been wanting for years. That’s where the long wheel base and xDrive on a 340i might come in as a huge plus but it’s just not as fun as that MPE exhaust and the small car nimble handling.

Am I overthinking how “difficult” an M2 is to drive in hard rain/highway driving and winter etc, and it’s really just a problem when hooning it like an idiot? Or is the M2 just really solid as long as traction control is on and I’m not hitting MDM on a cold day with bald tires and that’s where most crashes occur (/driver error with no nannies)
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 07:38 PM   #10
brandobmw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvmarv View Post
Personally, I think the M340i looks fantastic (despite its "Lexusy' rear end) especially with some M-Performance Carbon Fiber bits. The interior and its technology is a massive upgrade to the M2 as well. While it may not handle like a M2, it's quite quick. The M340i will have lighter steering since its made for comfort and your rear passenger will appreciate the little extra room and rear door convenience. As others have stated though, M2 will have better resale value.

The M340i may make more sense per your location, but honestly, your best option is to test drive the two and see which one you like better.
I did test drive both, absolutely love both of them. Driving experience M2 a bit more but damn is that m340i fast and fun (at least in a straight line).

Only thing I’m thinking of is safety in all weather driving/does it make more sense to have a 9/10 fun car like M2 and only drive it 5 months a year or an 7.5/10 fun car like m340i and be able to drive it 12 months of the year instead of having to drive a beater Subaru more than my BMW :/ hmm
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 08:15 PM   #11
Dj_Quik
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

I lived in edmonton and drove my m2 winter of 2018/2019 Which i remember was a bad winter. It did a great job in the snow mainly because of the m differential which essentially pushed you into a slippery corner amd thus maintain control. I found what helped also was skinnier and STUDDED winter tires. I actually went with a 255 square setup and it worked well but in hindsight, i wouldve gone even skinnier than that and gone with 18 inch wheels. I also found that actually turning off traction control but keeping stability control on actually made the car easier to control in deep snow. Winter really held back the car in terms of the fun factor but it did good and i was never really stuck in the snow. Like someone already said here, there will be that odd day when you probably shpuldnt use the m2 lol. And if youre wondering if my situation/decision applies to yours, i had an m240 xdrive thats tuned with a jb4 running 20% ethanol that dynoed at 380 ish wheel horsepower. Sooo pretty close to m340 power numbers. I mean my m240 was worlds faster and did AWESOME in the snow, than the m2 but i still made the switch because the m2 is just WAY more fun lol. The steering, chassis, the sound, the transmission, and the looks are just way better than the mainstream m240. In the end, if you need a family mover and practicality, the m340 is the better choice. But if youre buying because of sheer driving pleasure, its the m2 hands down in my humble opinion.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 08:31 PM   #12
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandobmw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post

Think an M2 will handle Edmonton roads?? Haha, I've test driven quite a few performance cars on dry road but never owned one/been in bad driving weather.

I don't know how an M2 is on the highway in pouring rain, hydroplaning/getting squirrely in the rear end etc, hitting ice. The last thing I want to do is wreck a car I've been wanting for years. That's where the long wheel base and xDrive on a 340i might come in as a huge plus but it's just not as fun as that MPE exhaust and the small car nimble handling.

Am I overthinking how "difficult" an M2 is to drive in hard rain/highway driving and winter etc, and it's really just a problem when hooning it like an idiot? Or is the M2 just really solid as long as traction control is on and I'm not hitting MDM on a cold day with bald tires and that's where most crashes occur (/driver error with no nannies)
Ok, a M340xi is not drastically different that it will significantly out handle a M2C. Really comes down to two points.

1. Right tires - if you will be driving in the winter, invest in some quality winter tires
2. Be smart when you will drive the vehicle - if you encounter a snowstorm. Ask yourself if you should travel. And if you do, what are my alternative travel solutions! E.g. Uber

When I lived in Edmonton a very long time ago, they plowed the streets pretty well.

I've test drove a M2C in wet conditions and below freezing. I felt fine and was responsible in my driving.

I think in the end you just have to make a decision you're comfortable with. But for me, it always goes back to these two questions and having some common sense. Then again, I also have a job where I don't have to travel and can work from home if I deem necessary.

Last point, I personally put more emphasis on what I will encounter 80-90% of the time. Sure there are situations where the M2 will not be appropriate. But I'm looking for driving pleasure and that is why I would urge you to really think about the M2C
      04-28-2020, 09:52 PM   #13
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
Quote:
For me the M240i is too big. The real decision is whether you need four doors or not. If you need a four door car, I would consider an M235i GC.
Wrong thread ⁉️

Regardless, the 2er GC is a dog compared to a M2.
      04-29-2020, 03:09 AM   #14
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
I've just sold my 18 M2 Lci and in the process of getting into a M340i. The M2 is a great car but after 12 months of ownership I decided to go for a car that could provide a better balance of comfort and performance. The M340i for me is the better all rounder although doesn't quite have the fun factor as the M2 has in terms of size, driving dynamics, exhaust note, and the DCT box
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 07:56 AM   #15
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikester19 View Post
I've just sold my 18 M2 Lci and in the process of getting into a M340i. The M2 is a great car but after 12 months of ownership I decided to go for a car that could provide a better balance of comfort and performance. The M340i for me is the better all rounder although doesn't quite have the fun factor as the M2 has in terms of size, driving dynamics, exhaust note, DCT box and definitely looks much sexier.
Waking up to this post was not a great way to start my day
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 08:44 AM   #16
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Wrong thread ⁉️

Not disagreeing, but for some a 2 door coupe doesn’t work. I would take an M235 GC over an M340i any day. To me the M340i is a big boat.

Obviously I would choose an M2 over an M235 GC. But I rarely have more than two people in my car.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 12:46 PM   #17
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Wrong thread ⁉️

Not disagreeing, but for some a 2 door coupe doesn’t work. I would take an M235 GC over an M340i any day. To me the M340i is a big boat.

Obviously I would choose an M2 over an M235 GC. But I rarely have more than two people in my car.
If you drove the two back to back, you'd find the 2er GC underpowered compared to what you're use to.
      04-29-2020, 01:03 PM   #18
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Wrong thread

Not disagreeing, but for some a 2 door coupe doesn't work. I would take an M235 GC over an M340i any day. To me the M340i is a big boat.

Why not get a golf R or Audi s3/rs3 over the m235gc?

For the OP, there might come a time in your life where your can't own a fun car, so get it while you can. The 2 series back seat are okay for passengers for short drives, better than most coups and great storage. I do Costco runs in mine without issue. Not much more practicality in m340 to me other than the 4 doors.

In either car you'll want winter tires if you're climate requires that. I live where the weather is generally mild but on QUALITY summer tires I have had no issues in rain on the m2 as long as I don't drive stupidly. I don't aggressively take a freeway entrance in the rain, I don't mash the throttle on a steep wet hill. You have to be aware of the situation and state of the tires and use common sense. You can still have fun in the rain but not where a loss of control will likely destroy the car and cause injury. I actually like driving mine in the rain because the car can be a bit more playful at safe slow speeds if I want it to be.

A guy at work totaled his Infiniti rwd vehicle because he likes to do donuts and his cheap shitty tires were bald in the rain on the highway. If you can't be trusted to not drive on bald tires in the rain then maybe m340 is for you. If you do decide on the m340 also consider the x3m40i, is more practical with the same engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 03:02 PM   #19
MetalM2
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_Quik View Post
I lived in edmonton and drove my m2 winter of 2018/2019 Which i remember was a bad winter. It did a great job in the snow mainly because of the m differential which essentially pushed you into a slippery corner amd thus maintain control. I found what helped also was skinnier and STUDDED winter tires. I actually went with a 255 square setup and it worked well but in hindsight, i wouldve gone even skinnier than that and gone with 18 inch wheels. I also found that actually turning off traction control but keeping stability control on actually made the car easier to control in deep snow. Winter really held back the car in terms of the fun factor but it did good and i was never really stuck in the snow. Like someone already said here, there will be that odd day when you probably shpuldnt use the m2 lol. And if youre wondering if my situation/decision applies to yours, i had an m240 xdrive thats tuned with a jb4 running 20% ethanol that dynoed at 380 ish wheel horsepower. Sooo pretty close to m340 power numbers. I mean my m240 was worlds faster and did AWESOME in the snow, than the m2 but i still made the switch because the m2 is just WAY more fun lol. The steering, chassis, the sound, the transmission, and the looks are just way better than the mainstream m240. In the end, if you need a family mover and practicality, the m340 is the better choice. But if youre buying because of sheer driving pleasure, its the m2 hands down in my humble opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_Quik View Post

This is 100% true. I live in Ottawa and just went through a typical winter (cold temps with high humidity = snowy, icy roads. Ottawa snow isn't the good fluffy stuff they get in Whistler, BC) with my 2018 M2. I put on 18" winter wheels with Nokian Hakka's (square set-up, studless) and the car handled the daily mix of city/highway driving (120kms/day) beautifully. Zero issues, even at extralegal speeds on the highway (studded tires would be overkill, imo). The M differential is FANTASTIC. I wouldn't take the car to a remote ski hill after a fresh snowstorm, but it's amazingly capable as a winter daily driver.

As was already said, if you don't need the 4-doors at this stage in your life then don't do it (this is coming from a guy with 2 kids)!

Get the M2. You will be amazed at its versatility and capability as a 4-season daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 10:51 AM   #20
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Wrong thread ⁉️

Not disagreeing, but for some a 2 door coupe doesn't work. I would take an M235 GC over an M340i any day. To me the M340i is a big boat.

I get the case for a 4 door, but bringing the m235i gc into this discussion is apples and oranges. The m235 gc isn't actually a 2 series despite the badging. It's a mini or 1 series hatch in compact sedan form. There's no 2 series lineage there at all.

It's basically a fwd configured hot hatch. This doesn't fit with what the op seems to want. I'm not saying it's a bad car, I'm sure it checks all of the boxes for someone. In some important ways, it's different from a 2 or 3 series though.
Appreciate 0