E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > refitting xdrive possible?

09-16-2008, 03:39 PM   #1
mhaas
German in exile...
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330dA M-Package

refitting xdrive possible?

Hi, wanted to know if it is in general possible to refit the xdrive to an E90?
Had an accident due to aquaplaning, as a result the front axle will have to be mostly replaced. Because of the cause of the accident I thought to maybe see if its possible to get the xdrive build in now. I know it will not be cheap and of course buying a new car with xdrive will be easier, but I just wanted to know if it is possible at all...

Thanks, Mathis
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaas View Post
Hi, wanted to know if it is in general possible to refit the xdrive to an E90?
Had an accident due to aquaplaning, as a result the front axle will have to be mostly replaced. Because of the cause of the accident I thought to maybe see if its possible to get the xdrive build in now. I know it will not be cheap and of course buying a new car with xdrive will be easier, but I just wanted to know if it is possible at all...

Thanks, Mathis
Anything is possible with the right amount of money, but you find it A LOT more the just replacing a front axle and some adapters.

There are a ton of sensors that are not present in non xi cars, as well as gearing differences, you will end up having to replace the rear axles as well (or at the very minimum the differential so it can match correctly with the new front diff.)

I know you know it will be easier to just get a new or used xi car, but in this case its way easier and will be lot less expensive.

Not sure if you care about resale either but your vin will still be for a non xi car and the value will drop considerably for that much modification.