BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-26-2020, 11:48 PM   #1
BMW FINALLY!
Ultimate Driving Machine!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i

Acoustic Glass and Luggage Compartment Package

Hello all. Could not find info on this. I ordered my new X5 with Acoustic glass and the luggage compartment package. Anyone else order one or both of these options and can give any info on them? Like, dislike etc? Thanks so much
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2020, 12:27 AM   #2
desirusso
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 SG

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I have the luggage compartment and it's pretty cool option. It's only closes part way until the trunk closes then it goes the rest of the way. It's pretty seamless.
      04-27-2020, 05:30 AM   #3
BMW_Cyprus
Private
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Looking forward to G05 X5

There are number of discussions on acoustic glass. One of them being:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1666749

My reading:

1. The car has good noise insulation even without the acoustic glass (If I remember correctly then it is in mid sixties).

2. Acoustic glass will increase the insulation. How much of it is discernible or not is an individual perception.

3. On a car of this cost it makes sense to get it if you still have money to spend after checking all must have options.

On a personal note I would skip it and spend the money on crafted glass clarity

The luggage compartment pack looks nice, but at the end of the day it is one more electronic item susceptible to failure. So I would take it if I am leasing but leave it out if I am buying to keep long term. Again some threads do exist on this topic also. See https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1592961
Appreciate 2
W0ut243.50
      04-27-2020, 09:53 AM   #4
x5legend24
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I ordered both and love both. I can't compare the acoustic to non acoustic glass but the cabin is very quiet. Still get highway noise but around town it's great. As far as the luggage compartment, this is one of my favorite things in the car. I use the full trunk with the seats down enough where taking the trunk cover in and out and storing it is a pain. I like that you can store the manual trunk cover in this car, that wasn't the case with my Jeep. I park on a hill and the rubber does raise up to hold things in place and seems to work well. The stainless rainless do scratch very easily which is too bad. When I ordered it, I didn't think about it being another mechanical or electronic piece that could fail or need replacing but it does make sense. I'd buy it without hesitation again tho. It's on my short list of features for future cars forever.
Appreciate 3
volodp198.00
thereef5101165.00
      04-27-2020, 11:14 AM   #5
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

we have a F15 with the regular cover and the 3rd row seat option. Let me say how much of a pain it is to retract and release that cover. It always snags on the 3rd row seat belts, and when it's time to load something that won't clear it, it takes 10 minutes to pull and store that thing.

So when I saw this option on the G05, I immediately jumped on it and absolutely love it. I also love that you can just program it to open both the trunk hatches and the cover retracts a bit. It's a nice little dance it does every time you open the trunk. And obviously loading things in trunk is a breeze with the automatic retraction into the chassis. Having said all that, I wouldnt get this option if I was buying lol. Then again I cant imagine anyone buying this thing with all the noises it makes every time I get in or out of it.

We also opted for the privacy glass. I have directly compared it with our F15 and its quieter, but not that much quieter. but its still quiet and I like it. will be ordering both options when reupping on the next model.
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2020, 11:15 AM   #6
maczrool
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M50i Carbon Black

I use this to battle the scratches in the metal strips. Works really well. I’ve used it on the brushed stainless portions of my Rolex band and happy with the results there too.

https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Mesh-MX.../dp/B00ENGUE62
Attached Images

Last edited by maczrool; 04-27-2020 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 7
      04-27-2020, 07:06 PM   #7
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

Love the Luggage Pkg. Highly recommend . Don't listen to the naysayers
about something to break. If we went by that philosophy we wouldn't buy a power assisted everything luxury SUV in the first place.
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2020, 08:03 PM   #8
1stbmwx5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 535i. 2013 MB ML 350

I purchased a CPO 2019 X5 with 20" wheels. Issues from day one and after 1 month (3 weeks at the dealer for repairs), BMW did a trade-assist. I ended up with a 20 X5 M50i with acoustic glass and the luggage system. Since the 19' didn't have either, I can attest that acoustic glass even with 21" wheels is quieter than the 19' with 20" wheels. The first thing my wife said when she got in was "wow, it's really quite". Luggage system is nice, but I haven't used it, so I'm not sure about it yet. What I do know is that because of the way it works, you can't have a liner that covers the whole deck. And the BMW liner is not the best. Regardless, I feel you'll be happy with both choices.
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2020, 08:19 PM   #9
X54TH
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Garage List
Unfortunately in Canada at the time I order the X5 the Acoustic Glass option wasn't available but I did have it on my Jeep GC Summit so I knew what it was all about. Mind you the X5 is pretty quite to begin with. I got the Luggage Compartment Option and like it very much. I would definitely get it again. Also you get all the extra netting. I have the cargo mat so I'm not getting the benefit of the rails.

I would highly recommend both options.
2021 330i XDrive Alpine White M-Sport
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2020, 10:43 PM   #10
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW, X6, M50i

I have the Acoustic Glass in my G06, M50i. I had an F15 and I'd have to say that road noise is certainly less in the G06. (Although, I think the G05/G06 are quieter than the F15/F16 to start with...) In any case, I'm happy with the decision to pay for the option.

I don't have the luggage package. As someone else noted, because of the fact that you can't have a full-sized cargo mat if you want to have it retract into the floor. So, it was a no go for me, as I want a full sized mat, as I haul golf clubs and shoes regularly...
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2020, 10:45 PM   #11
PhilH930
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

I have both and would order again. The glass is tough to tell as I don't have highway speed comparison with the standard product. It is a quiet car, with obvious windnoise increasing above 80mph.

The luggage compartment package is nice to have. Makes getting the spare wheel out a little tight, but I like the added security of an auto-cover. The grip strips are nice. Note I don't even see my strips now as I added the fitted luggage compartment liner to protect the trunk. That in itself does cover the door that opens to hide the liner, but it simply pulls forward with one finger and no friction so has not impeded the auto cover at all.

Now, if I was ordering again I would have also included alcantara headliner and B&W speakers.
      04-27-2020, 11:16 PM   #12
BMW FINALLY!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Cyprus View Post
There are number of discussions on acoustic glass. One of them being:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1666749

My reading:

1. The car has good noise insulation even without the acoustic glass (If I remember correctly then it is in mid sixties).

2. Acoustic glass will increase the insulation. How much of it is discernible or not is an individual perception.

3. On a car of this cost it makes sense to get it if you still have money to spend after checking all must have options.

On a personal note I would skip it and spend the money on crafted glass clarity

The luggage compartment pack looks nice, but at the end of the day it is one more electronic item susceptible to failure. So I would take it if I am leasing but leave it out if I am buying to keep long term. Again some threads do exist on this topic also. See https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1592961
Hey! Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate it! Be Well.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 12:07 AM   #13
BMW FINALLY!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stbmwx5 View Post
I purchased a CPO 2019 X5 with 20" wheels. Issues from day one and after 1 month (3 weeks at the dealer for repairs), BMW did a trade-assist. I ended up with a 20 X5 M50i with acoustic glass and the luggage system. Since the 19' didn't have either, I can attest that acoustic glass even with 21" wheels is quieter than the 19' with 20" wheels. The first thing my wife said when she got in was "wow, it's really quite". Luggage system is nice, but I haven't used it, so I'm not sure about it yet. What I do know is that because of the way it works, you can't have a liner that covers the whole deck. And the BMW liner is not the best. Regardless, I feel you'll be happy with both choices.
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I'm glad I got them both!

Last edited by BMW FINALLY!; 04-28-2020 at 12:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 12:08 AM   #14
BMW FINALLY!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
Love the Luggage Pkg. Highly recommend . Don't listen to the naysayers
about something to break. If we went by that philosophy we wouldn't buy a power assisted everything luxury SUV in the first place.
Well said! You make perfect sense. I think ill be happy with them. Thanks so much.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 12:11 AM   #15
BMW FINALLY!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X54TH View Post
Unfortunately in Canada at the time I order the X5 the Acoustic Glass option wasn't available but I did have it on my Jeep GC Summit so I knew what it was all about. Mind you the X5 is pretty quite to begin with. I got the Luggage Compartment Option and like it very much. I would definitely get it again. Also you get all the extra netting. I have the cargo mat so I'm not getting the benefit of the rails.

I would highly recommend both options.
Im glad I got them now. Thanks for the feedback. I too will have the Cargo Matt so wont get much use of the rails Oh well! I have two dogs that travel in their carriers back there so not having to deal with that cargo net/cover will be great! Be well.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 12:42 AM   #16
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

I have both too. Unfortunately the luggage package in the 45e only consists in the little side nets and the other net that can be attached to the hooks because of the HV battery in the floor.

If you order the mat don't forget to order the dedicated one. It is shorter than the standard one.

One thing about the acoustic glass that was not mentioned is that it also protects against breaking in and is safer in accidents because it is laminated.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2020, 02:21 AM   #17
xigolle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
I have both too. Unfortunately the luggage package in the 45e only consists in the little side nets and the other net that can be attached to the hooks because of the HV battery in the floor.

If you order the mat don't forget to order the dedicated one. It is shorter than the standard one.

One thing about the acoustic glass that was not mentioned is that it also protects against breaking in and is safer in accidents because it is laminated.
So the 45e doesn't have those retractable cargo lines ?
Do you maybe have a picture of the trunk of the 45e ?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 12:10 PM   #18
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by xigolle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post

So the 45e doesn't have those retractable cargo lines ?
Do you maybe have a picture of the trunk of the 45e ?
It is just the normal cargofloor without the rubber indeed and without the automatic sliding cargo cover. It is not available with the 45e because of the battery.

There is a hatch to put in the charging cable or standard cargo cover and dog net.

So if you order the travel package you get the usb C in the back seat the blinds for the rear windows and two nets in the trunk. The price is reduced of course.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 12:18 PM   #19
puckybadger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i LCI TBII/Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkratochvil View Post
I have the Acoustic Glass in my G06, M50i. I had an F15 and I'd have to say that road noise is certainly less in the G06. (Although, I think the G05/G06 are quieter than the F15/F16 to start with...) In any case, I'm happy with the decision to pay for the option.

I don't have the luggage package. As someone else noted, because of the fact that you can't have a full-sized cargo mat if you want to have it retract into the floor. So, it was a no go for me, as I want a full sized mat, as I haul golf clubs and shoes regularly...
I don't think a luggage package is even available in an X6 M50i
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 01:22 PM   #20
doctorttt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckybadger View Post
Yes, you are right. Even the G06 x40i doesn’t have the luggage package as one of the options, at least in the US. It would have been a no brainer for me if bmw had offered it on the G06.

To OP. I don’t think you will be disappointed with both options. I have the acoustic glass option on my G06 and it is indeed quieter than without, but this is subjective.

Don’t worry too much about the operability of the luggage package down the road. Like moonroof, side windows, etc. they all have mechanical and electronic components. Why not worry about those? You get the point.

I did order a custom built G05 in mid 2019 with the luggage option and liked it a lot. (But the transaction went wrong at delivery so the purchase was never completed, so I went with a G06 due to its physical attractiveness.)
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2020, 01:27 PM   #21
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckybadger View Post
Option 418, Luggage Compartment Package is in the Ordering Guide. (https://batxcr1.bmwcenternet.com/lib...eringGuide.pdf)

It had a 12/19 SOP, so it was something that wasn't available originally.

However, it doesn't show-up in the Build Configurator on BMWUSA.com.

Honestly, I never actually got past that point to inquire further. The Build Configurator seemed to not be consistent over a couple of month period while I was spec-ing mine out anyway. So, I leaned on the Ordering/Pricing guides...In looking at how it worked in a G05 and then seeing a G06 in person, I felt that if it operated the same in the latter, I was going to not like it with the change in cargo mats. So, didn't consider it further...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 01:30 PM   #22
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorttt View Post
Yes, you are right. Even the G06 x40i doesn’t have the luggage package as one of the options, at least in the US. It would have been a no brainer for me if bmw had offered it on the G06.

To OP. I don’t think you will be disappointed with both options. I have the acoustic glass option on my G06 and it is indeed quieter than without, but this is subjective.

Don’t worry too much about the operability of the luggage package down the road. Like moonroof, side windows, etc. they all have mechanical and electronic components. Why not worry about those? You get the point.

I did order a custom built G05 in mid 2019 with the luggage option and liked it a lot. (But the transaction went wrong at delivery so the purchase was never completed, so I went with a G06 due to its physical attractiveness.)
We were obviously posting at the same time...it is in the Ordering/Pricing Guide for the G06, M50i for 12/19 SOP. (It's not in the Configurator). I never took it past that, so it's possible it operates differently, etc.
Appreciate 0