BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-26-2020, 03:26 PM   #1
banky2
Rep
Drives: Bmw X3

Bmw x3 tv tuner

Hello, Has anyone installed the TV tuner from BMW? Does it work fine?

Is it possible that it's only available in Europe?

Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by banky2; 04-26-2020 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 03:54 PM   #2
TheusBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by banky2 View Post

Thanks.
yo me gastaria ese dineral para mi proximo iphone jajaja seguro que hay apps para ver la tele como quieras. Mas vale pagar por un plan de internet movil de 100gb que ver canales de tele en mi opinion... claro esta que soy un Millenial jaja

I would rather spend money on my next iphone then dropping 1k on a what i consider an older technology (no offense). These days is about on demand videos/channels. I would rather pay money on sport/tv show apps then watching tv, but then again I am a Millenial. I wonder if that tecj is compatible with new generation bmw cars.

I believe with Bimmercode app you can code in videp play motion, which allows you to mirror your iphone screen to your car screen or watch videos from usb stick. I will leave it to others to point out the info discussed in this forum in regards. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 04:47 PM   #3
banky2
Rep
Drives: Bmw X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheusBimmer View Post
Quote:

Thanks.
yo me gastaria ese dineral para mi proximo iphone jajaja seguro que hay apps para ver la tele como quieras. Mas vale pagar por un plan de internet movil de 100gb que ver canales de tele en mi opinion... claro esta que soy un Millenial jaja

I would rather spend money on my next iphone then dropping 1k on a what i consider an older technology (no offense). These days is about on demand videos/channels. I would rather pay money on sport/tv show apps then watching tv, but then again I am a Millenial. I wonder if that tecj is compatible with new generation bmw cars.

I believe with Bimmercode app you can code in videp play motion, which allows you to mirror your iphone screen to your car screen or watch videos from usb stick. I will leave it to others to point out the info discussed in this forum in regards. Cheers.
Yes you are right, probably the screen mirroring could be a cheaper option.

Do you kow if screen mirroring comes with id7? I was told that screen mirroring was only available with apple car play option with id6.

Does screen mirroring play videos in full screen? and in motion (without coding)?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 07:16 PM   #4
PerthBMW
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.

Perhaps you could learn how to spell and type.....
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 09:35 PM   #5
TheusBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerthBMW View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.

meh dont need to spend too much time revising as it gets the message across - it aint an official business correspondence mate.
Appreciate 1
kevinkay271.50
      04-26-2020, 09:50 PM   #6
TheusBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.

Do you kow if screen mirroring comes with id7? I was told that screen mirroring was only available with apple car play option with id6.

Does screen mirroring play videos in full screen? and in motion (without coding)?

Thank you.
I would ask in the thread "iDrive 7 Coding - Bimmercode & eSys" as that pertains to id7 system mods.

I have personally not made the mod as I dont want to be tempted in using and abusing it ha. Hope the others will be more helpful.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 10:00 PM   #7
TheusBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerthBMW View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.

meh dont need to spend too much time revising as it gets the message across - it aint an official business correspondence mate.
@PerthBMW - sorry mate looks like that for you it might be business, being a potential bmw dealership rep? ha 😅

well, as I understand it, this is an enthusiast forum, so not sure what kind of request/comment value yours goes about... other than trolling which might not look good in ur resume . As a matter of, fact there are plenty of posts that lack proper spelling or grammar. Perhaps you want to highlight all them for consistency purposes
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 03:38 AM   #8
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 M-Sport

I have installed the OEM Digital HD TV module.

Although it was in an f25 x3, but I did use the G series TV module.

Not sure where the 1k figure came from but that's way out....

I bought the TV module from ebay, bought the bracket from bmw, made the loom (from parts I had), used the ATM module to provide the power/gnd and the fibre loop, swapped the dab antenna for the x5 tv/dab antenna and then used the dab antenna on the other side to send the signal to both antenna inputs.

Used bimmercode to enable the TV and select the correct wert for the NBT and bingo works like a charm.

Cost wise, it was apprx £250, but I could have used a non HD f series TV and paid about £100-£120 all in.

Its a cheap install tbh
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 08:46 AM   #9
rob175
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xiDrive30

How dangerously DISTRACTED while driving do you want to be?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 08:54 AM   #10
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep

errr, not a good idea to watch while driving mate....

I use it when im waiting in car parks etc

Even though I could code the unit for while in motion, I haven't, my screen blanks when moving.

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 10:00 AM   #11
rob175
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xiDrive30

ah...OK....good safety feature for it to shut off when moving.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 04:42 PM   #12
redz_uk
Registered
Rep
Drives: x4 f26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfj1 View Post
errr, not a good idea to watch while driving mate....

I use it when im waiting in car parks etc

Even though I could code the unit for while in motion, I haven't, my screen blanks when moving.
hi mate, where did you get the module from and the connections need to do this? i would like to do the same.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 04:52 PM   #13
TheFiX3r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:

Thank you.
Have Screen Mirroring with ID6 on my '18 X3.

Using a Samsung S21 Ultra (just switched from Pixel 4XL, since Google obstinately refuses to support Miracast screen mirroring on the Pixel platform), I am able to view video on the vehicle display.

However, video while the vehicle is in motion can only be enabled via coding. I used BimmerCode.

With this setup I can enjoy content from apps like ESPN and YouTubeTV.

(For those worried about distracted driving, mostly I listen to televised sporting events and will occasionally look over when stopped in traffic.)
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 06:06 AM   #14
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redz_uk View Post
hi mate, where did you get the module from and the connections need to do this? i would like to do the same.
The Tv module, x5 TV/DAB antenna modules, connectors (tv end and NBT end) and fibre leads all came from ebay, but they are available from BMW too.

The bracket came from BMW as well as the cage nuts.

The Fbas loom I made.

Rough costs...
Tv = £180 for the HD version, anything from £40-£120 for the non hd.
x5 Antennas = £20 each
Fakra leads £10 each you need 2 or 3 depending
connectors = £20 approx
Pins are approx £1 each and you need roughly 8-10
Fibre = £15 approx
Bracket = £34

The loom I made, so was a few quid.

I had some of the parts already and they were free (pretty much), but for the purpose of costs, above is a rough idea of what to expect to pay

And you must have the pro nav with the widescreen, the tv will not work with the smaller nav screen (business).

As for non TV video, use a usb and put the video/movies on there and access via the external media menu, it works like a charm, I added the 2nd usb to the glovebox as well, so i can still have tunes while connecting the ipod or updating the maps.

The extra USB was approx £35 for the lead and usb socket.

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 11:48 PM   #15
goldenadam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfj1 View Post
I have installed the OEM Digital HD TV module.

Although it was in an f25 x3, but I did use the G series TV module.

Not sure where the 1k figure came from but that's way out....

I bought the TV module from ebay, bought the bracket from bmw, made the loom (from parts I had), used the ATM module to provide the power/gnd and the fibre loop, swapped the dab antenna for the x5 tv/dab antenna and then used the dab antenna on the other side to send the signal to both antenna inputs.

Used bimmercode to enable the TV and select the correct wert for the NBT and bingo works like a charm.

Cost wise, it was apprx £250, but I could have used a non HD f series TV and paid about £100-£120 all in.

Its a cheap install tbh
Where did you find the settings (and what values) to use to code in the TV Module with Bimmercode? I keep getting pulled down the VO coding rabbit hole to add this, but if available in Bimmercode would be much simpler I think.
Appreciate 0