BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-26-2020, 01:19 AM   #1
Bimmers4life
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Cargo liner option for F97 with full spare

I had originally purchased the oem liner only to find out for the cars that have the full spare option the liner hangs off the edge. So I took it back and ordered one from Weathertech. I’m extremely happy with the fit and finish of their liner. I wanted to share this along with a photo in case anyone else with a full spare optioned F97 was looking for a cargo liner.

04-26-2020, 02:34 AM   #2
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Funny stuff I just ordered this today for my rig with spare tire. I debated getting a canvasback setup but went with weathertech. Yours looks great, happy that I will have the same! I also ordered the cargo holding blocks.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 08:37 AM   #3
Bimmers4life
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Funny stuff I just ordered this today for my rig with spare tire. I debated getting a canvasback setup but went with weathertech. Yours looks great, happy that I will have the same! I also ordered the cargo holding blocks.
That’s awesome! My buddy has it in his M40i so I got to see it in person. Weathertech is a great company that makes a good quality product.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 09:07 AM   #4
pluckydks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3 ZCP, 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Do the cargo holding blocks actually...hold? My stuff slides too much and the blocks look like they wouldn’t stay in the grooves and hold anything either.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 09:37 AM   #5
Young04
Captain
Rep
Drives: iX, i4 and 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluckydks View Post
Do the cargo holding blocks actually...hold? My stuff slides too much and the blocks look like they wouldn’t stay in the grooves and hold anything either.
I have those blocks. They do work. They have grippy bottoms. They blocks are held in place by the grips as well as the weight of you put on them.
Appreciate 1
pluckydks621.50
      04-26-2020, 11:16 AM   #6
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Quote:
Weathertech certainly sounds confident in the listing that they will hold.
Appreciate 1
pluckydks621.50
      04-26-2020, 03:07 PM   #7
Macanakey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC, X5M, 911Turbo & GTS

No spare tire, but I wished I'd gotten the Weathertech version. I purchased the OEM X3 mats from the dealership, but I don't like the cargo liner. It's so slick on the bottom, that it just slides forward when I pull my cargo towards me. I've got to then push it back in before I can close the hatch. I'm going to have to find some felt or velcro tape & attach it to the bottom of the cargo liner, so that it grips the carpet & stays put. Not a well thought out product.
1997 911 Targa, Zenith Blue
2017 GT3-RS Lava Orange (LEGO)
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7838.00
Max Well4781.00
      04-26-2020, 07:57 PM   #8
DAC17
Long live BMW M's!
Rep
Drives: 2023 CT5-V

I also got the Weathertech one. Fits perfectly, doesn't slide around and should wear well, based on my experience with their other products.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 09:23 AM   #9
Bimmers4life
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macanakey View Post
No spare tire, but I wished I'd gotten the Weathertech version. I purchased the OEM X3 mats from the dealership, but I don't like the cargo liner. It's so slick on the bottom, that it just slides forward when I pull my cargo towards me. I've got to then push it back in before I can close the hatch. I'm going to have to find some felt or velcro tape & attach it to the bottom of the cargo liner, so that it grips the carpet & stays put. Not a well thought out product.
Is the one you got from BMW still in brand new condition? Take it back. Get a weathertech liner. You’d love it! Without the spare and the floor being lower you have the little niche on the right side (when standing at the back of the car looking forward) but not the left side. On the left you have a little compartment with a net. So instead of two little side flaps that fill those little pockets yours would only have the one on the right. Which is fine and it still won’t slide around like the oem one does.
Max Well4781.00
      04-28-2020, 09:06 AM   #10
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

I got the Weathertech as well (spare tire for me) and have been very happy with it.

The floormats are great as well. One of these days I am going to try and swap out their logos with an ///M or X3 to make it look more OEM.

I saw a thread on a Lexus forum and the guy took it to a signage shop who made him up a new sticker.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 09:16 AM   #11
Macanakey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC, X5M, 911Turbo & GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmers4life View Post
Is the one you got from BMW still in brand new condition? Take it back. Get a weathertech liner. You’d love it! Without the spare and the floor being lower you have the little niche on the right side (when standing at the back of the car looking forward) but not the left side. On the left you have a little compartment with a net. So instead of two little side flaps that fill those little pockets yours would only have the one on the right. Which is fine and it still won’t slide around like the oem one does.
Thanks, but it's been in use since I got in on 12/31, so no longer new. Plus I purchased the car & the mats from an out of state dealer. I'm stuck with it, unless I resell to some unsuspecting schlepp. I'm too nice to do that. I've got some sheets of felt somewhere in my crafts room. I think that if I stick them on the bottom of the mat, the felt will catch against the carpet & prevent the mat from sliding. I just have to find that stuff! Might be easier to just order some new sheets.
1997 911 Targa, Zenith Blue
2017 GT3-RS Lava Orange (LEGO)
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 10:26 PM   #12
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

Nice there is a BMW one but its expensive. Also ordered a third party custom one and waiting to see how it fits.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 07:47 AM   #13
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
I had originally purchased the oem liner only to find out for the cars that have the full spare option the liner hangs off the edge. So I took it back and ordered one from Weathertech. I’m extremely happy with the fit and finish of their liner. I wanted to share this along with a photo in case anyone else with a full spare optioned F97 was looking for a cargo liner.
Thanks for sharing, Bimmers4life. I don't wish to hijack your thread, but I'm hoping you don't mind if I expand your question to also discuss Weathertech's product for those of us without the spare (and who have the floor cargo tracks)?

The problem with the OEM cargo liners (which I've had for years in all of our F25 and G01 models as well), is not only do they slide around as macanakey indicates, but they also damage the underlying carpet of the cargo floor cover. Over time the felt on the bottom also begins to slide around on the plastic, thereby exposing the adhesive which then sticks to the carpet as well.

I was getting ready to order two Weathertech liners for our X3MCs without the spare this morning, but was wondering if anyone can first share an image of how it looks in the X3MC's cargo area without the spare? Does it cover the tracks for the tie downs? If so, how does it handle the height of the movable track tie down, or do you have to store those movable tie-downs until needed? Are you still able to use them if the liner is holding heavy objects, or do you have to remove the liner to be able to access those?

Apologies again to OP for expanding on your more specific thread title. Maybe we can make the title "Cargo Liner Options for F97 with and without spare"?

[Edit: after posting above I also searched the G01 Forum and found this image for those without the spare: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=79 . Would still be interested in how the track's movable tie-downs are handled with this product?]
Attached Images

Last edited by Max Well; 04-29-2020 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: Added link to image of liner in a G01 w/o spare
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 02:14 PM   #14
pluckydks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Thanks for sharing, Bimmers4life. I don't wish to hijack your thread, but I'm hoping you don't mind if I expand your question to also discuss Weathertech's product for those of us without the spare (and who have the floor cargo tracks)?

The problem with the OEM cargo liners (which I've had for years in all of our F25 and G01 models as well), is not only do they slide around as macanakey indicates, but they also damage the underlying carpet of the cargo floor cover. Over time the felt on the bottom also begins to slide around on the plastic, thereby exposing the adhesive which then sticks to the carpet as well.

I was getting ready to order two Weathertech liners for our X3MCs without the spare this morning, but was wondering if anyone can first share an image of how it looks in the X3MC's cargo area without the spare? Does it cover the tracks for the tie downs? If so, how does it handle the height of the movable track tie down, or do you have to store those movable tie-downs until needed? Are you still able to use them if the liner is holding heavy objects, or do you have to remove the liner to be able to access those?

Apologies again to OP for expanding on your more specific thread title. Maybe we can make the title "Cargo Liner Options for F97 with and without spare"?

[Edit: after posting above I also searched the G01 Forum and found this image for those without the spare: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=79 . Would still be interested in how the track's movable tie-downs are handled with this product?]
Here's a photo of my Weather Tech liner without spare. I'm not quite sure I understand the question following, though. As I've stated somewhere above, the only stuff I've tried to carry back there (I'll post a photo once I find it) tends to slide a bit too much for my liking.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Max Well4781.00
      04-29-2020, 02:23 PM   #15
pluckydks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here's a photo of my Weather Tech liner without spare. I'm not quite sure I understand the question following, though. As I've stated somewhere above, the only stuff I've tried to carry back there (I'll post a photo once I find it) tends to slide a bit too much for my liking.
Don’t mind the dirty car, but this has been the only thing I’ve really put back there so far.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
AlexFL7838.00
      04-29-2020, 02:52 PM   #16
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Thanks for the images (important cargo in the second one).

My question was about the sliding attachment points on the track - the Weathertech liner looks too flat to allow them to remain in place whereas BMW's has a raised tunnel along the edge so they can stay on the track. BMW's is also thin enough that I could still bend the edge so a bungee could reach the attachment even with stuff on top of the liner (provides some extra stability to hold items in place). Looks like the Weathertech may not allow for that.

Not a big deal as I don't use them that often, and would prefer the more consistent surface of the WT liner which doesn't look like it will slide around as much as the BMW one (the liner itself, not the stuff on top). Order for two placed this morning.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 03:16 PM   #17
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Don’t mind the dirty car, but this has been the only thing I’ve really put back there so far.
This looks good! Prost!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 03:22 PM   #18
pluckydks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Thanks for the images (important cargo in the second one).

My question was about the sliding attachment points on the track - the Weathertech liner looks too flat to allow them to remain in place whereas BMW's has a raised tunnel along the edge so they can stay on the track. BMW's is also thin enough that I could still bend the edge so a bungee could reach the attachment even with stuff on top of the liner (provides some extra stability to hold items in place). Looks like the Weathertech may not allow for that.

Not a big deal as I don't use them that often, and would prefer the more consistent surface of the WT liner which doesn't look like it will slide around as much as the BMW one (the liner itself, not the stuff on top). Order for two placed this morning.
Glad you brought that up. I had an issue when I shipped mine back to the States. My M mobility kit, first aid kit, and key fob cover were missing. I totally forgot about those hooks until now. How many did the car come with? I still have two, but for some reason, I want to believe there were four. The two I have are still in the track, up close to the rear seats. They fit underneath the cargo mat. The mat seems thin and pliable enough to bend if you need to access the hooks.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 01:33 PM   #19
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi Bimmers4life, did you order the weathertech version for the X3 M40i? They don't list X3M as a model on their site.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 01:43 PM   #20
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycd View Post
Hi Bimmers4life, did you order the weathertech version for the X3 M40i? They don't list X3M as a model on their site.
I have the X3MC with spare and ordered this one. I suspect the non-spare is the same for all X3s:

Cargo/Trunk Liner
# 401087
BMW 2020 X3 30i
Coverage Area: Behind 2nd Row Seating
Color: Black
Vehicle Options:
X3 Spare Tire: Yes
Appreciate 1
sycd247.00
      05-08-2020, 01:51 PM   #21
MENAC3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Any all-weather floor mat options for front & rear?

Can't seem to find anything X3M specific online..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 02:09 PM   #22
pluckydks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MENAC3 View Post
Any all-weather floor mat options for front & rear?

Can't seem to find anything X3M specific online..
When I ordered mine, I chose 2019 X3 M40i, as the Weathertech site didn't list anything for 2020. As mentioned, nothing listed for X3M either, but I can confirm that X3 M40i mats will fit. I don't have the spare tire option.
Appreciate 2
MENAC3119.00
sycd247.00