BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-23-2020, 01:42 PM   #1
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Tartufo Interior color variance online....

I don't understand why it is so hard to grasp this color from online pics and videos. Tartufo also seems to look different between different car models as i've seen it on the M5 and the color is more orange while i've seen it in the 7 series and it looks more old man beige/tan brown. Literally every Tartufo image I've found the shade looks different. Its frustrating because I would see a pic of it where it looks lovely (orangy brown like in the M5) and then i'll find another pic where I think it looks gross (tan-ish beige). Lets not bring up the bmw online configurator where the color looks completely different there as well

Can you guys with this interior post your interior shots up here?

Thanks in advance!

Alan
      04-23-2020, 02:36 PM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I don't understand why it is so hard to grasp this color from online pics and videos. Tartufo also seems to look different between different car models as i've seen it on the M5 and the color is more orange while i've seen it in the 7 series and it looks more old man beige/tan brown. Literally every Tartufo image I've found the shade looks different. Its frustrating because I would see a pic of it where it looks lovely (orangy brown like in the M5) and then i'll find another pic where I think it looks gross (tan-ish beige). Lets not bring up the bmw online configurator where the color looks completely different there as well

Can you guys with this interior post your interior shots up here?

Thanks in advance!

Alan
People can indeed post actual pix of their Tartufo interiors but you will still see a difference between pix. There's a lot that goes on between the time someone aims their camera/phone at something until you view it on your screen. Just too many color and calibration differences to be able to know that what you see on your screen, or anyone else's screen, is in fact what it actually looks like in person.

- What kind of light did the original Tartufo sit in? Daylight with sun, without sun, shade, influenced by tungsten, L.E.D. or fluorescent lighting
- What was used to take the picture? someones phone, a camera, true color, aperture setting, etc
- How was the picture processed before sending it? phone processor, computer, Adobe, etc
- Pic resolution? Untouched and raw (doubtful), compressed (probably), color level or contrast retouched?
- Your computer/phone/tablet screen: What are you looking at it on and how is that calibrated?

Ok, you get the point, and I believe your complaint is actually the fact that you are seeing all these variables. Not to mention if in fact BMW's Tartufo is the same across models - or slightly different.
I saw Tartufo in person in three different models, I think it was the 8 series or maybe the i8, can't recall off hand, one of the M's and the G05. To me, they all looked a bit different and I'm not sure if it was due to the different seat styling or not but I liked it in the G05 and for me that is all that mattered. No way would I pick a seat color, besides black, without first seeing it with my own eyes in my model of choice. However, looking at digital pix is good enough to get the idea whether you include it in your choice or rule it out.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 02:56 PM   #3
JayInVa
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 40i MSport Tanzanite Blue

I too was frustrated when trying to get a good feel for what this color looked like from pictures and the online configurator. Having gotten Tartufo myself, IMHO I have to say that I don't think pictures will ever do it justice. It's a very unique color and one of those things you have to see in person. As Marty said, there are just too many variables when it comes to this color.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 03:02 PM   #4
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Here a video of it in a X7. I think it looks great here but you can literally see the color tone shift and change even while he moves the camera around. For those that have this interior is this an accurate representation of the color in the G05? What i like about it is that it looks more like a orange warm tone brown color. I've seen some where the color looks very flat and bland more towards a beige tone which i don't like.

Chances are I won't be able to see Tartufo in the flesh anywhere besides when my car arrives and it would be way too late if I don't like it.
      04-23-2020, 09:06 PM   #5
doctorttt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G06

Here are a bunch of tartufo pics. You really can't go wrong with this color and you will get a lot of complements. Especially if you look through the windows and windshield, tartufo is really eye-catching. If you compare Tartufo and Cognac, you will, for sure, notice that Tartfuo is more on the orange side. Cognac, from my perception, is more like light-yellowish brown. Tartufo is a fancy color in my opinion. Have you heard of a luxury brand for leather goods called Hermès based in Paris? This company uses a orange color as part of its brand. Whenever I see Tartufo, it reminds me Hermès. I have the G06 with a red interior. If Tartufo were offered in G06, it would have been a no brainer for me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
jphcbpa314.50
      04-24-2020, 05:16 AM   #6
tvasica
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 M50D

This is Tartufo in X5?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 08:32 AM   #7
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvasica View Post
This is Tartufo in X5?
Looks like an X5 to me. They didn't offer Tartufo in the US for the 2020 models until start of production (SOP) in April, but with COVID IDK how that affected it.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 09:09 AM   #8
GSG5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5MC (MBB/SS)

I have no pics to post as I don’t have this color, but just want to say that I have seen it many times in the flesh (both in an X3M and an X7) and I would describe it as baseball glove orange. It looks fantastic IMO...especially with BSM, CB and white exteriors.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 09:31 AM   #9
doctorttt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvasica View Post
This is Tartufo in X5?
Yes, X5.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 08:33 PM   #10
Cooltones
Happy M Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, F82 M4, G05 X5

I agree that Tartufo is a great looking color. Saw it in person for an X5 interior. Apparently, for now, you can only get Tartufo in an *extended* merino leather (where the bottom portion of the dashboard is not covered in leather) instead of the *FULL* merino leather option (Where typically the color choice of the leather is also the same color leather on the bottom portion of the dashboard).
Given how the combination layout looks, my choice would be if they had a Tartufo *FULL* merino leather option, but instead of Tartufo color for the bottom portion of the dashboard let it be the black leather.
Just my $0.02.
2020 X5 40i M Sport - The "Unicorn" (B&W Sound, Touch Screen, Heated/Cooled Cup Holders, Soft Close Doors, Acoustic Glass, Full Alcantara & Glass Controls, Luggage Compartment Package, Heated/Ventilated Seats, Laser Lights, Fog Lights)
2016 M4 Coupe; 2008 Dinan S1 M5; 2006 530i; 1998 328i
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 11:05 AM   #11
FrenchDriver78
Registered
France
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 40i

For the past few months, I've been driving a new X5 40i White with the Tartufo interior. After many cars with black interior, I decided to change .... The decision was quite complex because it is more or less impossible to see a picture of the interior of the Tartufo color with the real appearance. On each picture, the color seems more or less orange and / or light brown. To finalize my choice I did a few kilometers to see exactly this color live. And it's really a nice color at the end. (warm, modern, quality, ...). You can find attached some photos even if these photos do not exactly reflect the appearance.
Attached Images

2010 E91 330d
2008 E91 330d
Appreciate 1
Mike_P20.50