BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Ohlins ...swag bars?

04-22-2020, 04:21 PM   #1
BurpZilla
Avid Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alpine White M2 6spd

Hello friends, installing my Ohlins soon. Getting end links also.

Has anyone suggested or done sways? (Was thinking rear) or don't necessarily need it?

Help would be appreciated. Sounds like past threads was sort of all over.

Addendum *title should be sway. Swag good also ;0)
Alpine White BMW M2 6spd; 2015 Arctic White Yukon XL Denali
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 08:36 PM   #2
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Rear bar change requires lowering the subframe, so I stopped thinking about it.

Balance with Ohlins and their default spring rates has been very similar to stock on the track in my very limited experience so far on track (1 day on stock wheels with 255/275 tires, and 1 day on 265 square) since install. Meaning, a bit more understeer than I’d like on the staggered setup, but pretty well balanced on square. Body roll isn’t really a noticeable concern anymore with the higher spring rates.

If you want to adjust the handling balance, increasing/decreasing spring rates might be a better way to go. Rears looked like they could be swapped out fairly easily during install.
Appreciate 1
BurpZilla152.00
      04-22-2020, 08:49 PM   #3
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

Did front and rear sway. Rear required lowering of the sub-frame. My mechanic did it.. Did front myself, it is easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurpZilla View Post
Hello friends, installing my Ohlins soon. Getting end links also.

Has anyone suggested or done sways? (Was thinking rear) or don't necessarily need it?

Help would be appreciated. Sounds like past threads was sort of all over.

Addendum *title should be sway. Swag good also ;0)
Appreciate 1
BurpZilla152.00
      04-22-2020, 10:13 PM   #4
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

I have my front and rear replaced with the dinan bars done a while ago now. I'm kind of nauseous right now. I think because I smoked a cigarette when I had a craving instead of chewing a piece of nicotine gum. Then chewed the gum afterwards. Leading to nausea from nicotine overload. I bring this up to explain why I'm not going into deep detail about suspension philosophy and have a discussion about it. I gave my thoughts and explanations for the thoughts quite a bit in other threads here. If you search the suspension section for "dinan" or "sway bars" you should be able to find them. There are also other threads in the same section, posted at the same time as mine, of discussions about this. On top of that, there are a plethora of write-ups about how to setup suspension if you google for them.

I have my rear bar set to 0% stiffer over stock. This is the dinan recommended setting. If I did it over again, I wouldn't install the rear because I don't see it being needed in the driving I do. Reason being is that a softer rear bar prevents oversteer and accelerates out of corners faster. You can get on the gas sooner coming out of a corner with a softer rear. Because it transfers force onto the wheel the g-forces are taking away from. Since a sway bar is a torsion bar, the only time it has an effect is when there is uneven force on both wheels. So turns and slaloms where force is being transferred side to side. It will distribute the force/grip to the other tire. Also if you run over a bump with your left rear, it will transfer that force to the right rear. So a bumpy road will be more unstable and unpredictable with a stiffer bar. It makes the rear independent suspension less independent. As the stiffer the bar rate, the more dependent the one wheel is of the force being applied to the other wheel.

I also don't recall ever seeing anyone say there were benefits to the rear bar on the m2/3/4. I did a lot of research before getting mine and everyone I remember seeing commented that it wasn't needed.

https://5xracing.com/p-24306-sway-bar-tuning.html

Last edited by Anthony1s; 04-22-2020 at 10:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
BurpZilla152.00