F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Face Masks - Should we all be wearing them?
proTUNING Freaks

04-20-2020, 07:04 AM   #1
GBR1
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 45e on order

Face Masks - Should we all be wearing them?

It looks like face masks will become the norm for public transport, i think for many years we have all looked at the Chinese tourists a little strangely but now being in a shop with someone wearing one doesn't feel un normal especially in these times.

So should we all be wearing them in public?

If so where does the line get drawn, public, being on the tube or in a big office?

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 07:12 AM   #2
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

I'm pleased you've asked this. As a London commuter I am starting to think about what to do when we return.

Personally, I intend to get one. I am under no illusion that it'll stop me catching CV if that's the way it's going to go. But if it can reduce the risk by some margin, and therefore reduce the risk when I may be unknowingly infected, then I think it makes sense to wear something.

I speak as a commuter on a particular line where it's largely standing room only and I can feel people breathing.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 07:16 AM   #3
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

I think we will end up wearing them. Many people are already. Given that we have been late and dragging our feet on this pandemic so far, i expect we will eventually copy everyone else. Unsure the effectiveness on a lot of the masks but guess it cant do no harm..?

Last edited by mikeoz; 04-20-2020 at 08:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 07:26 AM   #4
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Cities and public transport. Probably yes.

Elsewhere, no.
      04-20-2020, 07:55 AM   #5
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Cities and public transport. Probably yes.

Elsewhere, no.
when serving the public in any establishment, when being served in any establishment? who knows but getting them is going to be a real bun fight and no doubt prices will reflect that.....

On the plus side, if bars restaurants and hotels are in phase 3 of the reopening plan we wont need many by the time we reopen what is left....
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 08:18 AM   #6
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

The only type that will apparently provide any meaningful protection are FFP3 respirator masks that should be face-fitted prior to use

Anything else won't stop you from getting Covid
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 08:37 AM   #7
Cilonen
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla M3, 2016 F11 530d

Should we all be wearing them in public - NO!

1. There just isn't the supply of masks available for public use at this time - everything is needed for front line medical care, even if it isn't the required standard (FFP3)

2. The masks that are available, that you see people wearing in public (standard surgical), will NOT prevent infection

3. They will reduce the risk for a SHORT period - 20 minutes of wear, then they are near useless! This is why medical & dental staff change them frequently.

4. If they get damp/wet on the outside, they are IMMEDIATELY useless - no wearing in the rain, or mist/fog

5. They are utterly useless if you keep touching them, and transferring bacteria/virus particles onto their surface. This will just concentrate the particles next to your face, and also back onto your hands when you take it off (it takes Dr's, dentists & nurses months to get used to wearing such masks w/o touching them - I know, being a dentist & having taught students for years).

6. If you did get hold of FFP3 masks:
a) give them to your local hospital - they need them more than you do!
b) they are useless unless professionally fitted, by trained personnel - which you are not!

END OF RANT!
Appreciate 12
mikeoz2856.00
allachie91334.00
simon.922.00
rich100874.50
haagm58809.50
      04-20-2020, 08:43 AM   #8
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB118D View Post
The only type that will apparently provide any meaningful protection are FFP3 respirator masks that should be face-fitted prior to use

Anything else won't stop you from getting Covid
This^^^and they don't last long either.
Far better to wash wash hands properly.

It will be inserting to see how the anti - burka mob accept these as one is apparently a terrorist risk and the other not so much.
Appreciate 1
F30Andy1778.50
      04-20-2020, 08:45 AM   #9
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilonen View Post
Should we all be wearing them in public - NO!

1. There just isn't the supply of masks available for public use at this time - everything is needed for front line medical care, even if it isn't the required standard (FFP3)

2. The masks that are available, that you see people wearing in public (standard surgical), will NOT prevent infection

3. They will reduce the risk for a SHORT period - 20 minutes of wear, then they are near useless! This is why medical & dental staff change them frequently.

4. If they get damp/wet on the outside, they are IMMEDIATELY useless - no wearing in the rain, or mist/fog

5. They are utterly useless if you keep touching them, and transferring bacteria/virus particles onto their surface. This will just concentrate the particles next to your face, and also back onto your hands when you take it off (it takes Dr's, dentists & nurses months to get used to wearing such masks w/o touching them - I know, being a dentist & having taught students for years).

6. If you did get hold of FFP3 masks:
a) give them to your local hospital - they need them more than you do!
b) they are useless unless professionally fitted, by trained personnel - which you are not!

END OF RANT!
But, as anything up to 50% of sufferers are asymptomatic then a mask may well help keep it in, rather than out.

There are certainly reports from South Korea suggesting that it helped with their strategy.

Yes, you can use them in the wrong way. You can wash your hands incorrectly too, but it doesn’t mean the advice is to stop washing your hands.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 08:47 AM   #10
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR1 View Post
It looks like face masks will become the norm for public transport, i think for many years we have all looked at the Chinese tourists a little strangely but now being in a shop with someone wearing one doesn't feel un normal especially in these times.

So should we all be wearing them in public?

If so where does the line get drawn, public, being on the tube or in a big office?

Thoughts?
I currently wear an n95 equivalent mast on supermarket visits. The most important thing is to remember not to touch the mask again after putting it on your face properly until you thoroughly wash your hands first, and remove the mask in the correct way from the straps at the back of your head.

I think wearing masks will become the norm on public transport at least once lockdown measures are relaxed a lot.

Here’s a good reason to wear one if you have one..
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...arket-11971373
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 10:00 AM   #11
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post

Yes, you can use them in the wrong way. You can wash your hands incorrectly too, but it doesn’t mean the advice is to stop washing your hands.
Classic Alex. All crows are black therefore all black things are crows.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 10:09 AM   #12
Straitkash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i GC

I'm in LA, so it's pretty much mandatory to wear a mask now when you are out in public. I don't like it, but I follow instructions and understand why its required. You can call me a sheeple. I'm an Engineer, so I know what it means when you deviate from specifications set forth by prior research and study.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 10:21 AM   #13
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Isn't it kind of late in the day to be having this discussion?

Surely we should have done it right at the beginning rather than start as numbers of infections and deaths are starting level off/come down?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 10:46 AM   #14
RickLS7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 435D, Boxster 981S

Exactly, the government were only concerned with the impact on the economy.

Well, the economy's buggered now!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 11:05 AM   #15
Straitkash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLS7 View Post
Exactly, the government were only concerned with the impact on the economy.

Well, the economy's buggered now!
My company makes valves for hospital beds and oxygen equipments, so our sales are increased and we have to hire more Temps to meet the demands.

What I'm getting at is that the people actually making these valves have to come in and work on the assembly line. They can't take the parts home and do it in their backyard. Some people in the office and all upper management are working from home.

How is that fair!? These people that came in deserve hazard pay, but all these workers were told that they were essential and helping with a greater cause. If we don't keep it moving, the supply chain will collapse, and everyone on that chain including the customers will have to shut down.

I get that, but it's the people actually keep everything moving get the short end of the stick. I hope my company pay them extra which I'm not aware of.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 11:08 AM   #16
flashollie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 2017 335d black

If Joe Public have the right FFP3 masks and this should only be the case once the front line workers have an adequate supply, if they are instructed correctly how to wear them and take them off correctly and not touch face or mask and continue to wash hands and social distance whenever they can, then masks bring some benefits.
I would suggest frontline workers is extended to include people like bus drivers, shop workers to protect them, where there is some element of training and management around PPE from their organisation.

The problem is that the general public can't use them correctly. They bring a false sense of security. It may even make it worse for some groups and scenarios.

I see this time and again with most forms of PPE we issue students at universities. We have staff walking about the labs telling them how to use different PPE and various safety products and they just don't get it.

These are graduates of the future intelligent people but safety is taken complacently by this group of society and I have no reason to think his won't be the same for other societal groupings.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 11:34 AM   #17
RickLS7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straitkash View Post
My company makes valves for hospital beds and oxygen equipments, so our sales are increased and we have to hire more Temps to meet the demands.

What I'm getting at is that the people actually making these valves have to come in and work on the assembly line. They can't take the parts home and do it in their backyard. Some people in the office and all upper management are working from home.

How is that fair!? These people that came in deserve hazard pay, but all these workers were told that they were essential and helping with a greater cause. If we don't keep it moving, the supply chain will collapse, and everyone on that chain including the customers will have to shut down.

I get that, but it's the people actually keep everything moving get the short end of the stick. I hope my company pay them extra which I'm not aware of.
I work in motorsport and my company is involved in machining respirator parts as well as 3D printing PPE for the local hospital. I feel sorry for the machinists etc. that have to go in, the company is doing what it can to protect them but one of my workmates died of C19 last week.

I am incredibly 'annoyed' at the governments tardy & amateurish response to this crisis, will leave it at that.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 11:39 AM   #18
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

I thought the face mask benefit was more to stop one potentially spreading it, rather than to help the wearer avoid picking it up, and that this doesn't require the medical grade PPE type.

If this is the case then it probably should become common use. Even if the benefit is only a few percent, that adds up across millions of people.

And as there are more mingers about than good looking folk, there's added benefit there too! Though maybe that say more about where I live.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 1
Stainy265.00
      04-20-2020, 11:45 AM   #19
Straitkash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLS7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straitkash View Post

I work in motorsport and my company is involved in machining respirator parts as well as 3D printing PPE for the local hospital. I feel sorry for the machinists etc. that have to go in, the company is doing what it can to protect them but one of my workmates died of C19 last week.

I am incredibly 'annoyed' at the governments tardy & amateurish response to this crisis, will leave it at that.
Wow, I imagined you would have to shut down if one of your employees is diagnosed with COVID-19. How can they be sure that no one else is also infected.

It boggles my mind.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 11:53 AM   #20
RickLS7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry, he didn't catch it at work and nor had he been there for the last 3 weeks.

Just brings it home when someone you know dies.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 12:18 PM   #21
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
I would not be as hasty as to claim masks offer no benefit at all. In the main Wuhan Coronavirus thread I posted a link to some research that was carried out analysing interventions used in the SARS outbreak which concluded that just simple (non-medical grade) masks were actually more effective (68%) at reducing transmission than hand washing (55%) although not as effective as medical grade masks (95%).

Of course definitive figures around most things to do with coronaviruses are always up for debate, but I'd say that on the strength of that report plus advice from the CDC and other governments, ordinary face masks have a role to play. Remember, any infection starts with an infected person releasing their body fluids.

Naturally there are challenges, first and foremost of which is to ensure that advice to the public in no way impacts supplies of masks to frontline staff in hospitals, care homes, etc.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 12:53 PM   #22
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Isn't it kind of late in the day to be having this discussion?

Surely we should have done it right at the beginning rather than start as numbers of infections and deaths are starting level off/come down?
I think that was straightforward - "if we tell them they need masks, they will strip the country bare of them in 24 hours." Most would have no masks and a few would have thousands. Look what we did with a small flap about toilet roll.

Ergo, tell the public that they don't need masks. Net benefit as you can secure some supplies for the people that really need them.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 4
RobUK2813.50
Scoobyd1960.00