E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Some Basic Questions Re 335xi

09-15-2008, 05:17 PM   #1
jon9509
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi sedan

Some Basic Questions Re 335xi

Apologies in advance—I have some basic questions that I know are probably obvious to most of the folks on this forum. But the answers will help me and perhaps others as well.
I just sold a 4-year-old Subaru STI that drove hard and loved and bought a 335xi with the sport package and auto transmission, no less. Don’t ask—it keeps peace in the home, as my wife can drive it.
1. It came with 17” run-flats. I’m getting rid of them and going with separate summer and winter tires. For summer, what are the advantages and disadvantages of going from 17” to 18” wheels/tires? Likewise what are the advantages of going to the slightly larger rear tires? I’m looking at Potenza RE-01Rs
2. BMW sells a “performance” exhaust system and cold air intake. Is it really going to make much difference in, say, low-end torque?
3. Will the KW v3 suspension work ok with the above tires? Am I gaining much in the way of better handling (which the car could use)?
4. Are there any other mods I should be considering?
Again, thanks for taking the trouble to respond. I appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
BES335xi
Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: FBO+ N54xi

Garage List
03/07 E90 335xi  [1.00]
335xi with sport package... should of came with 18" wheels.
kw v3, i've heard nothing but good things about it, they work great.
& As of right now, the bmw performance intake is not out, but there is a few out there like Afe Duals, or Bms Duals, dont make any diference other than hearing the turbos spool a little better & some.
As for other mod's there's plenty like

Exhaust systems, AE, Borla, Remus, Bastuck etc... thats just to name a few.
Tunes: JB3, PROcede, AA, Helix, etc...

and then you have exotic mods...just search the forums you'll find a bunch.
JB4+usb | P3 Vent Boost Gauge v2 | BMS OCC | BMS DCI | AMS FMIC | AR xi CL DP's | BT Tool | Edibias/NCSExpert/INPA BMW Coding | Cyba Quad Exhaust tips | M-Tech Rear & M3 Front Bumper | Red Cyba Air Scoops | Blacklines | Vinyl Overlays | ACS Roof Spoiler | Matte Black Grilles | LED Side Mirrors | Rear Euro Fogs | etc..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
ChuckBimmer
Liv'n the Dream
Rep
Drives: '08 335

The best mod for the 335xi is first getting the KWV3 and trashing the run-flats. It will dramatically improve the handling. Once you get those depending if you want warranty or not consider tuning upgrades like Dinan (warranty) or JB3 (no warranty). I would wait on the exhaust and intake since they will give you minimun preformance upgrades. Good luck!!
Future: CAI
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 09:38 PM   #4
BavarianBullet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon9509 View Post
Apologies in advance—I have some basic questions that I know are probably obvious to most of the folks on this forum. But the answers will help me and perhaps others as well.
I just sold a 4-year-old Subaru STI that drove hard and loved and bought a 335xi with the sport package and auto transmission, no less. Don’t ask—it keeps peace in the home, as my wife can drive it.
1. It came with 17” run-flats. I’m getting rid of them and going with separate summer and winter tires. For summer, what are the advantages and disadvantages of going from 17” to 18” wheels/tires? Likewise what are the advantages of going to the slightly larger rear tires? I’m looking at Potenza RE-01Rs
2. BMW sells a “performance” exhaust system and cold air intake. Is it really going to make much difference in, say, low-end torque?
3. Will the KW v3 suspension work ok with the above tires? Am I gaining much in the way of better handling (which the car could use)?
4. Are there any other mods I should be considering?
Again, thanks for taking the trouble to respond. I appreciate it.
FWIW I have an 08 335xi 6MT sedan with cold weather and sport package w/18" wheels.

The 18" wheels with run flat hit extremely hard on potholes. I was shocked to get my first jolt from them. The wheels look good and minor bumps don't seem to register bad but moderate and larger bumps hit shockingly hard.

My previous car was an infiniti G35X sedan w/17" wheels and it handled bumps much better. Small bumps felt about the same on both cars. larger bumps, there's no comparison. I wish I knew how much of that was 17" vs 18" wheels, different suspensions and runflats but I can't comment on that yet.

I've not yet modified my car much (shifter, removed CDV, oil catch can going in soon) yet but the collective wisdom seems to be:

1) Intakes (ok, air filters): next to no gain on a stock car.
2) Exhaust. YMMV. not worth it on stock car unless for sound/style purposes.
3) chip/tune: If you owned a Suby you know what these can do. Well worth the $ if you want more power.
4) I wish I could afford the KWs. $3000 installed is a lot of dough though. Not worth it for me with a lease car. Postcard looks nice.

BB
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 09:42 PM   #5
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

I got pretty much the same ride except the auto tranny. I did opt for the 18" wheels since that was the only way to get the oil cooler on the XI. You have to get the sport package and 18" wheels to get the oil cooler.

For me since I already had 18" wheels I thought I'd use those for a winter setup. Stock 18" wheels with Blizzaks. Tires were the same size that came stock 225/40/18 & 255/35/18 I think. For summer use I opted to get 19" wheels with 235/35 up front and 275/30 in the rear. It is completely ok to do a staggered setup on an AWD car you just have to make sure they have the same rolling diameter.

The intakes on the market are very rewarding if you have a tune. If not then I would wait until you got one. The exhaust is very subjective. I however could not stand how quiet my exhaust was, so I bought an exhaust as one of my first mods. It doesn't yield to much power, but I love the way my car sounds with it

I've heard nothing but great things about the KW v3 and I think it would be a great mod. I'm planning on doing this in the spring, but want to hold out until then to see if other options become available. The good thing about us sedan owners is we have the room in the rear to fit 275's with no rubbing issues, even if our cars are dropped. Where as the coupes have to do severe rolling of the fenders to get them to fit. Either way you should be fine with your tire selection.

I would recommend a tune besides the suspension as a first mod. Just research all of them and make you own mind on what you want out of a tune. The JB3 and Procede V3 are of the most popular here on the board and which ever one you choose you'll have plenty of support to help you with anything you run into.
      09-15-2008, 11:10 PM   #6
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BES335xi View Post
335xi with sport package... should of came with 18" wheels.
kw v3, i've heard nothing but good things about it, they work great.
& As of right now, the bmw performance intake is not out, but there is a few out there like Afe Duals, or Bms Duals, dont make any diference other than hearing the turbos spool a little better & some.
As for other mod's there's plenty like

Exhaust systems, AE, Borla, Remus, Bastuck etc... thats just to name a few.
Tunes: JB3, PROcede, AA, Helix, etc...

and then you have exotic mods...just search the forums you'll find a bunch.
18" wheels are an option with the sport package on the xi. I also have the xi, sport package and 17" wheels. I use the stock wheels as my winter set and 19" for summer.

1. The only advantage 18" wheels give you is looks. 17" wheels are lighter and are cheaper to replace tires so they are a much better choice for performance.
2.BMW performance parts are overpriced and the difference in horsepower would not be noticeable.
3.The KWV3 would work fine with 17" tires. You will sacrafice comfort for performance.
4.Mods are up to you. I always say the best performance mod you can possibly do is to go to an instructed track event. After you learn to take your car to the limit you can better judge which mods you want to persue, whether it be power or handling. I'll bet you will find after a track day the number one performance mod you would want to make would be suspension and not power. The best first mod for the money would be a good set of summer tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 01:20 AM   #7
BES335xi
Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: FBO+ N54xi

Garage List
03/07 E90 335xi  [1.00]
i dont know, i thought once you opt out for sports package you automatically get 18s & oil cooler.
JB4+usb | P3 Vent Boost Gauge v2 | BMS OCC | BMS DCI | AMS FMIC | AR xi CL DP's | BT Tool | Edibias/NCSExpert/INPA BMW Coding | Cyba Quad Exhaust tips | M-Tech Rear & M3 Front Bumper | Red Cyba Air Scoops | Blacklines | Vinyl Overlays | ACS Roof Spoiler | Matte Black Grilles | LED Side Mirrors | Rear Euro Fogs | etc..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 10:15 AM   #8
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BES335xi View Post
i dont know, i thought once you opt out for sports package you automatically get 18s & oil cooler.
You have to order the 18's as an option. They are not standard with the xi sports package. The only way to get the oil cooler is the sport package and the optional 18's.

There are many people on these forums that have the xi with sport package that came with 17" wheels and no oil cooler, including me.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 10:47 AM   #9
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
You have to order the 18's as an option. They are not standard with the xi sports package. The only way to get the oil cooler is the sport package and the optional 18's.

There are many people on these forums that have the xi with sport package that came with 17" wheels and no oil cooler, including me.
+1

You have to get the Sports package + 18" wheels to get oil cooler.

To the OP. If your power hungry get a tune. Best power for the money. Otherwise get the KW's. From everyone who has them they say their worth the dough.