Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Modified the BMW G20 330i is pretty cool compare with the M Sport.

04-14-2020, 05:40 AM   #1
Jim Yuan
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Smile Modified the BMW G20 330i is pretty cool compare with the M Sport.

iPE exhaust/ Vossen Wheels/FK510 Tire

As many of you may know, the B48B20 is certainly not limited to 258hp/40.8kgm. The Mini Cooper F56 JCW GP uses the same exact engine and has 305hp/45.9kgm. However, this particular BTCC race car was dramatically boosted up to 340hp while meeting BTCC regulations, which prohibits engine modifications.

IPE full straight pipe exhaust sound and backfires
Despite the engine power of the original Sport+ being sufficient, the backfires generated by the muffler and the 600 cell catalytic converter leave more to be desired. In regards to the BMW G20 330i, the stock exhaust backfires have a “bon bon” sound while the installed iPE exhaust has more of a “bang bang” crackle. However, although us car guys love the loud, crackling backfires emitted from our exhausts, the general public and law enforcement’s opinions may differ. As such, this G20 330i is fitted with an iPE exhaust system, which are all equipped with a valvetronic system, allowing the user to not only enjoy the explosive yet refined exhaust notes of iPE when valves are open, but also minimize catching unwanted attention when necessary with the valves closed. With valves closed, this car’s exhaust volume becomes comparable to BMW’s comfort or ECO PRO mode. All of this can be performed with a simple wave of the hand using iPE’s OBDII Gesture Sensor. This sensor eliminates the need to waste time finding the remote control. Green means opened valve, red means closed, while blue signifies auto, which can be easily customized to the user’s preferences using iPE’s app. Due to backpressure issues, the auto mode creates the perfect balance for the car’s performance, preventing torque loss at low speeds and horsepower loss at high speeds. The valve also opens up when the car is switched to Sport Mode, delivering an instant rush of excitement and a much more engaging and enjoyable drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLPBJdBUzxg

Vossen HF-3 + Falken FK510
This car is also equipped with Vossen HF-3 20 x 8.5J Hybrid Forged wheels yet weighs closer to other standard 18 inch wheels. Regarding the tires, the performance is similar to the Michelin PS4S, but cheaper.

Test Drive PS4 vs FK510
PS4S uses a more flexible sidewall in order to better absorb shock but also provides surprisingly good grip and traction. On the other hand, the Falken FK510, using a stiffer sidewall, decreases more body roll but delivers a bit less traction when breaking the limit and a less comfortable ride compared to the Michelins.

Conclusion
Overall, I give this lightly modified 330i a score of 89 points. The sounds emitted from the iPE exhaust was satisfyingly enjoyable. I’m sure a ECU remap would improve the power even more. The 20-inch Vossen HF-3 looks quite domineering, in a good way. Unfortunately, the tires weren’t very comfortable, especially when driving over highway bridge joints. The owner informed us that the reason for this is because he has only installed short springs so far but has yet to tune the suspension. The owner is also planning on adding an aero kit onto his car. However, due to the fact that there are currently only M-Performance and 3D-Design aero kits on the market, which are fairly common, the owner is holding off until there are more options available to choose from.

Last edited by Jim Yuan; 06-18-2020 at 08:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1941.50
      04-14-2020, 01:07 PM   #2
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Ipe exhausts sound pretty nice! No other mods on it other than the exhaust?
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 01:58 PM   #3
aguycalleddb
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i XDrive

Garage List
I wonder what mods the BTCC car runs

G42 /// M240i Thundernight
Appreciate 0