E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Is this leather?

09-15-2008, 01:55 AM   #1
MeinBMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Is this leather?

Can anyone tell from this pic if it's leather or not? This is a 2008 335i Sedan w/ Sport Package

I know there is no Premium Package, but the car is listed as having leather

Thanks!

Not Stock...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 01:58 AM   #2
evoi19
Lieutenant General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80C

no premium..no leather

your pic looks like leatherette too.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 02:07 AM   #3
MeinBMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo119 View Post
no premium..no leather

your pic looks like leatherette too.
You can get leather without the premium .. just like Bluetooth .. if that really is letherette though I'm gonna be bummed

Not Stock...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 02:12 AM   #4
iheartsole
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

yup that doesnt look like leather more like leatherette. can u take a more clea picture of the interior
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 02:18 AM   #5
MeinBMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartsole View Post
yup that doesnt look like leather more like leatherette. can u take a more clea picture of the interior
That's the only pic I have .. haven't seen/bought the car yet .. one kinda pisses me off though is it is marked in the ad that it has leather .. and after thinking about it/looking at it it really doesn't look like leather

Not Stock...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 02:23 AM   #6
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinBMW View Post
That's the only pic I have .. haven't seen/bought the car yet .. one kinda pisses me off though is it is marked in the ad that it has leather .. and after thinking about it/looking at it it really doesn't look like leather
How the heck can you tell? I can't from just looking at the picture. It's not like BMW has perforated leather or anything like that. Just go check it out for yourself.
      09-15-2008, 02:26 AM   #7
MeinBMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
How the heck can you tell? I can't from just looking at the picture. It's not like BMW has perforated leather or anything like that. Just go check it out for yourself.
Aster some searching .. it is leatherette .. the leather seats have an extra line of stiching that runs in the middle of the bottom side bolster .. the leatherette doesn't ...

thanks for the help folks

Not Stock...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 02:29 AM   #8
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Quote:
Aster some searching .. it is leatherette .. the leather seats have an extra line of stiching that runs in the middle of the bottom side bolster .. the leatherette doesn't ...

+1. I was going to mention that. Leatherette for sure.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 02:39 AM   #9
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 5 different 3 Series

yep, extra stitching would indicate leather. Extra stitching on the door panel too.

I have both ette and leather (two bimmers).
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 02:41 AM   #10
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Quote:

Ah, my untrained eyes. Good work.
      09-15-2008, 02:42 AM   #11
MeinBMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
yep, extra stitching would indicate leather. Extra stitching on the door panel too.

Since you have both maybe you can answer this for me .. are the leather seats noticably softer? The last BMW I had with leathette was a '95 318is .. I remember it being a bit harder than my '94 325is that had leather

I'm not concerned with wear, as I will only be keeping the car a couple years, but as much time as I spend driving the seats have to be comfortable

Not Stock...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 03:13 AM   #12
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 5 different 3 Series

smell: definitely different, and the leather does smell stronger and better. The ette smell fades quickly and it smells pretty good too.

comfort: Both very comfy. The leather does breathe better and it's noticeable on hot days. Both are nicely cushioned. However, both can cause sweat.

softness: the ette is not "harder", it just has a "stronger" texture. It's almost too perfect. If you push down with your gloved fingers in a blind test, you can't tell. You can, however, tell a difference if you run your un-gloved fingers across the surface.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 03:24 AM   #13
MeinBMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
smell: definitely different, and the leather does smell stronger and better. The ette smell fades quickly and it smells pretty good too.

comfort: Both very comfy. The leather does breathe better and it's noticeable on hot days. Both are nicely cushioned. However, both can cause sweat.

softness: the ette is not "harder", it just has a "stronger" texture. It's almost too perfect. If you push down with your gloved fingers in a blind test, you can't tell. You can, however, tell a difference if you run your un-gloved fingers across the surface.
Thank you very much!

As far as touch, I'm not too concerned (how often do you really sit naked in your car?) .. but the comfort is what matters .. normally I would hold out for leather, but I got a pretty good deal on this one without and just want to make sure I'll be happy with it for the next couple years ...

Thanks again!

Not Stock...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 03:50 AM   #14
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
Just go check it out for yourself.
LOL now that's an idea. Sometimes I think it's a function of technology. People have been trained to do everything remotely. Why learn to play an instrument when a video game makes everybody a guitar hero? I hear the Wii even has a rock star game where you get the girls too and destroy hotels, all from the couch in your living room.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 05:00 AM   #15
MeinBMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
LOL now that's an idea. Sometimes I think it's a function of technology. People have been trained to do everything remotely. Why learn to play an instrument when a video game makes everybody a guitar hero? I hear the Wii even has a rock star game where you get the girls too and destroy hotels, all from the couch in your living room.
Why would I drive almost 3 hours to find out if it's leather or leathette when I can tell by looking at a picture (with the assistance of some helpful members here)

Yes .. if it was around the corner, sure I'd just go look, but would you drive 3 hours to answer a question that can be easily answered online?

Not Stock...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 07:51 AM   #16
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

if you're unsure about leather vs. leatherette, why don't you visit the local dealership to see the differences. i'm sure the car you want to buy doesn't have a different surface than the cars at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 08:59 AM   #17
slipperman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 e90 328i JB

Quote:
Why would I drive almost 3 hours to find out if it's leather or leathette when I can tell by looking at a picture (with the assistance of some helpful members here)

Yes .. if it was around the corner, sure I'd just go look, but would you drive 3 hours to answer a question that can be easily answered online?
+1 even if it WAS around the corner what's wrong with asking here... isn't this the whole point of having e90post..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 09:39 AM   #18
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:

+1 Stitching on the door trim is always easiest for me to spot.

We have 89,000,000 leather versus leatherette threads here for the OP's reading pleasure. In photos, I have to look for the extra stitching because they look the same.

As for feel -- FWIW, when I test drove, I couldn't tell the difference spending 5 minutes with each. After a couple of years in an E90 with leather, though, when I get in one with leatherette, I can tell the difference immediately. IMO leather feels better, but YMMV.
      09-15-2008, 09:52 AM   #19
mr.bob
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI Coupe; 2004 325

The easiest way to tell (leather or not) is to look at the sides and top of the seats. If you see stitching, then its not leather. The leatherette has a stitch around the whole seat. The leather does not
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 12:41 PM   #20
MeinBMW
Private First Class
Rep

The no leather was a deal breaker for me .. nothing against those who like the leatherette, but I can tell the difference and don't care to go back .. so it's off to search for another one .. I may have found something though .. so hopefully there is still a 335 in my future

Not Stock...
Appreciate 0