F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > "Clunk" when stopping
Extreme Powerhouse

04-12-2020, 06:01 PM   #1
SC435i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

"Clunk" when stopping

I have a 2015 435i with 51k miles and every time I stop moderately hard the car will clunk upon settling down. I don't know if this is normal or if it's the first sign that the springs/bump stops are going. The car rides fine and the noise only occurs when I come to a complete stop.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 07:15 PM   #2
Briland33
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC435i View Post
I have a 2015 435i with 51k miles and every time I stop moderately hard the car will clunk upon settling down. I don't know if this is normal or if it's the first sign that the springs/bump stops are going. The car rides fine and the noise only occurs when I come to a complete stop.
Is it the auto stop/start
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 08:43 AM   #3
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Can you be more specific ?

Does the noise happen AS the car comes to a complete stop ? Or just before, or after ?

Does it happen under slight, moderate, or heavy braking, or all of them ?

Is it a thump, knock, or rattle ?

Does it happen at slow speeds, with the brakes 'feathered', i.e. it could be pad knock ?
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 06:42 PM   #4
SC435i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

It's when the car comes to a complete stop and transfers the weight to the rear suspension, and it sounds like a single loud thump. It usually happy when I'm using about 30% or more braking force. I can get it to be quiet if I'm being gentle with the brakes but under normal driving conditions it always makes the noise
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 08:09 PM   #5
F30_ILLEST
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i F30

Check your front and rear inner wheels for any signs of grease. Friend had this issue of the "clunk" sound on his e90 signs of grease was visible in inner wheels on the font and ended up being his axle
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 04:20 AM   #6
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC435i View Post
It's when the car comes to a complete stop and transfers the weight to the rear suspension, and it sounds like a single loud thump. It usually happy when I'm using about 30% or more braking force. I can get it to be quiet if I'm being gentle with the brakes but under normal driving conditions it always makes the noise
I doubt it's a problem with bump stops - unless you're standing the car on its nose during braking, the weight transfer isn't typically going to unload/load the suspension to that degree.

Could be a loose rear suspension component, i.e. a bush, drop link, etc. Check all bolts/nuts are correctly torqued.

And there's the really obvious one - make sure there isn't anything rolling around in the trunk.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0