F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Feal 441 Coilovers F30
proTUNING Freaks

04-10-2020, 06:08 PM   #1
romemedrano
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

So I just swapped out my Bilstein B14 for Feal 441 Coilovers. Most will ask why!? I track my cars monthly ( I guess not anymore due to Corona Season) and needed some suspension changes.

Here are the reasons:

+Camber plates - additional $500~ due to Bilstein using stock mounts .
+Linear springs swap- additional $300-400 with rear adjusters to fit the new spring ID.
+Dampener settings- id like to have some control of this depending on the road/track/etc.

The cost above would be added on top of the $1100~ so Bilstein B14 coilovers. I've tracked plenty of "cheaper" set up such as BC , ISC, ST and Fortune Auto etc and always felt they were good enough for my driving. I'm no professional and just enjoy seat time.

I joined up a track day organization (Turn8 Track Days) with a few guys that have drift connections with Odi at Feal Suspension. I've heard of a Feal before and wanted to give them a taste. Mike sent over a set of 441 but I opted out of the 441+ with swift springs at this time. I wanted to try out OTS set up and change up the spring rate later at the end of the year using swift springs.

Even though track season is on hold due to Corona, I did get a chance to go on a quick test drive on the canyons this morning. The new coilovers does amazing going from one corner to the next by staying predictable every time. Road feel has stepped up a lot more with the new set up attributed to the linear springs. Additional camber is also a nice needed touch. The dampeners right now is set for my usual liking of 22/32 front (66%) and 24/32 rear (75%) stiffness. NVH is there so if your picky you should look another way.

Here are some basic info:
+Front 8.5k
+Rears 11k
+32 click adjustable
+Sway bar endlinks included (I reused mine for now)
+Dyno of shock is included in the packet from Feal. See photos

Anywho here are some pics. If you need more info or want your own hit up Turn8 Track Days for special pricing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
andino479.50
FaRKle!4017.00
      04-10-2020, 09:07 PM   #2
andino
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 328i xdrive

Didn't know Feal made a set for f3x. Did you pick your spring rates for flat ride or for a different target? How do they feel compared to when you drove Farkie or my car?
      04-10-2020, 09:11 PM   #3
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Interesting... everthing on there website is $1285 but I don't see F3x listed.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2020, 09:14 PM   #4
romemedrano
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
Didn't know Feal made a set for f3x. Did you pick your spring rates for flat ride or for a different target? How do they feel compared to when you drove Farkie or my car?
You know I need to drive again and feel for the flat ride I had with FaRKle! set up. I was just enjoying the drive transitioning from one corner to another with ease that I zoned out. I was also on Highway9 (Alices this morning ) which is somewhat smoother than our test road.

As far as set up I let them as I wanted a kit that was universal for all F30 at first then test and restructure after a few baseline track times.
Appreciate 1
andino479.50
      04-10-2020, 09:17 PM   #5
romemedrano
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
Interesting... everthing on there website is $1285 but I don't see F3x listed.
Definitely what I said as well BUT they did ensure they will make it and follow through. I made sure to let them know I am a "5 Bolt Pattern strut mount". Odi apparently double checked the set up and confirmed it was right when they had everything made.

If your looking for a set let me know, Turn8 is offering specials right now as a brand new authorized dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 10:30 PM   #6
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
Feal doesn't list F3x, but they list F22/23, which is the same mounting-wise. The spring rates (8.5kg/mm 476in/lbs front, and 11kg/mm 616in/lbs) are far from flat ride.

I'd be interested to see those damper dyno plots up close, but from what I can make out in the pics, they test from 2in/sec to 11.8in/sec, those dampers have linear pistons instead of digressive (so a HUGE amount of high speed damping), and they're ridiculously rebound biased!

What I thought was pretty interesting looking at Feal's site is they offer a TRUE coilover rear option. I wonder if there are any sway bar interferences like there are on the F8x coilover rears. They usually use shims to shift the position of the damper fore/aft in the camber arm to correct that.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 2
andino479.50