F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > weight training advice?
GetBMWParts

04-08-2020, 06:20 AM   #1
flashollie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 2017 335d black

weight training advice?

so I keep generally fit through circuit trainning, tennis running and cycling. Looking ahead if we end up not being able to go out for exercise at all that will send me bonkers. I'm not gym person but have some dumbbells never really done much with them.
So I thought I'd dust off the dumbbells during this current situation and in readiness for if I cant exercise outside Ill need something else. So a proper program I can stick to is what's needed. something that is progressive.
The missus is all excited as she thinks I'll look like some chiseled Adonis in 3 weeks. She has found me this.

https://www.coachmag.co.uk/fitness/w...bbell-workouts

What we don't understand is do we do work outs 1 2 3 and 4 spread out once across a week then up the reps and sets or does a "session" include all 4 workouts after each other - doing all 4 say 3 times a week?
Got through workout one last night and all was good.

Any advice thankfully received.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 06:40 AM   #2
Vasumir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i

You do them one at a time spread out over the week. As it's effectively a 4 day split... I would normally do Monday&Tuesday training, Wednesday rest day, then Thursday&Friday training, rest over the weekend.

If you could get hold of a bench you'd be able to achieve a lot more... but they are probably gold dust at the moment.

I'd also question the effectiveness of splitting it up in to specific body parts for a home dumbbell workout. It might be more beneficial to find a workout with upper and lower splits. Especially as you are a beginner, you might see better results with that. I'll see if I can find you something.

The leg workout didn't have anything focusing on hamstrings, I'd be throwing some dumbbell RDLs in.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2020, 07:23 AM   #3
flashollie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasumir View Post
You do them one at a time spread out over the week. As it's effectively a 4 day split... I would normally do Monday&Tuesday training, Wednesday rest day, then Thursday&Friday training, rest over the weekend.

If you could get hold of a bench you'd be able to achieve a lot more... but they are probably gold dust at the moment.

I'd also question the effectiveness of splitting it up in to specific body parts for a home dumbbell workout. It might be more beneficial to find a workout with upper and lower splits. Especially as you are a beginner, you might see better results with that. I'll see if I can find you something.

The leg workout didn't have anything focusing on hamstrings, I'd be throwing some dumbbell RDLs in.
Thanks very much.
If you could find something that would be great much appreciated.
my legs are generally strong from running and cycling.
What are RDLs?

I could knock up a bench from a scaffold plank and a couple of small stools?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 10:13 AM   #4
Roo12
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 4 Series GC M Sport +

Romanian dead lifts
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 10:33 AM   #5
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

When starting out there's no need for splits, better to start with full body workouts 2 or 3 times a week, then after a few weeks when you don't have DOMS anymore then change to upper/lower body splits. Push/pull/shoulders/legs splits aren't needed until at least 6 months of training really.

Other most important advice I'd give is always go to failure on every set, and always lower the weight slowly on every rep.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 11:27 AM   #6
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashollie View Post
so I keep generally fit through circuit trainning, tennis running and cycling. Looking ahead if we end up not being able to go out for exercise at all that will send me bonkers. I'm not gym person but have some dumbbells never really done much with them.
So I thought I'd dust off the dumbbells during this current situation and in readiness for if I cant exercise outside Ill need something else. So a proper program I can stick to is what's needed. something that is progressive.
The missus is all excited as she thinks I'll look like some chiseled Adonis in 3 weeks. She has found me this.

https://www.coachmag.co.uk/fitness/w...bbell-workouts

What we don't understand is do we do work outs 1 2 3 and 4 spread out once across a week then up the reps and sets or does a "session" include all 4 workouts after each other - doing all 4 say 3 times a week?
Got through workout one last night and all was good.

Any advice thankfully received.
This link and Teaston's advice below is pretty sound.

I'd avoid dumbell press ups if a beginner, renegade rows yes but myabe not initially pressing on a mobile dumbell.
      04-08-2020, 12:04 PM   #7
flashollie
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks very much for all the responses.

I'm fairly fit guy doing 2 x hours of circuits a week so press-ups squats burppes and many many other body weight exercises.
Only have mild DOMS after the chest and back session yesterday.
Finished the arms one at lunch time.

I take the point about not splitting the work outs yet and will have a crack at using the exercises I originally linked 3 times a week. I'll rest tomorrow and pick it up Friday.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 12:14 PM   #8
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

I'm fairly fit guy doing 2 x hours of circuits a week so press-ups squats burppes and many many other body weight exercises.

I take the point about not splitting the work outs yet and will have a crack at using the exercises I originally linked 3 times a week. I'll rest tomorrow and pick it up Friday.
Ok didn't realise you do a lot of circuits, you can probably go straight to splits then.

Concentrate on those eccentric overloads. There's a great saying; it's not about counting reps, it's about making every rep count.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 12:34 PM   #9
XAlp
Major
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 T6

Most weeks I do one night’s boot camp. No kit at home. Would “tins of beans” be a waste of time or achieve a gentle start / be better than nothing?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 01:15 PM   #10
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAlp View Post
Most weeks I do one night’s boot camp. No kit at home. Would “tins of beans” be a waste of time or achieve a gentle start / be better than nothing?
At 400g each, a complete waste of time!

5kg dumbells would maybe do for shoulder side raises, but not much else. 10kg is probably the lowest useful dumbbell weight, but selectable ones of at least 25kg ideally.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 02:29 PM   #11
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Google some hiit with weights work outs as well. Joe wicks has a good one 25min full body hiit with weights.
I have my setup in the garage now and am considering a cheap squat rack if we are house bound for a few more weeks.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 02:52 PM   #12
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
Google some hiit with weights work outs as well. Joe wicks has a good one 25min full body hiit with weights.
I have my setup in the garage now and am considering a cheap squat rack if we are house bound for a few more weeks.
I would say don't combine cardio and weights, both end up being compromised. Advice is actually not to do cardio less than 8 hours before weights workout.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 02:56 PM   #13
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Quote:
I would say don't combine cardio and weights, both end up being compromised. Advice is actually not to do cardio less than 8 hours before weights workout.
#CrossFit
      04-08-2020, 03:12 PM   #14
flashollie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Ok didn't realise you do a lot of circuits, you can probably go straight to splits then.

Concentrate on those eccentric overloads. There's a great saying; it's not about counting reps, it's about making every rep count.
What I don't get is by doing splits of different bit if the body once a week, I'm actually doing less work compared to doing a whole body work out 3 times a week?

Is the idea that by doing splits your doing quality not quantity?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 03:33 PM   #15
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What I don't get is by doing splits of different bit if the body once a week, I'm actually doing less work compared to doing a whole body work out 3 times a week?

You'd typically do a lot more in that single session though and really push it.

For example you might do squats for legs in an all over body program 2-3 days a week.

With a 'Leg Day' you might do squats, dead lift, lunges etc etc etc for 40-60 minutes.

There are so many variables hard to explain all briefly but that's the premise of days working on specific areas.

Other approach has you doing push pull days etc

Lots of ways to train!
      04-08-2020, 03:35 PM   #16
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

By doing splits you're doing 3 or 4 exercises on each muscle, rather than 1 or 2.

Typical full body workout:
Pull ups = lats and biceps
Bench press = chest and triceps (& bit of front delts)
Seated rows = mid back and biceps (& bit of rear
delts)
Shoulder press = mid delt and triceps
Squats = upper legs (& bit of lower back)

Typical split day for chest and triceps:
Bench press
Dumbell flyes
Decline/incline dumbell press
Barbell tricep extensions
Cable tricep pulldowns

The full body workout you could do 2 or 3 times a week, the split ones will need a week recovery before you work that muscle group again, but there are 4 groups of muscles so it is 4 workouts a week.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 03:39 PM   #17
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Quote:
I'd disagree. That video I was on about destroys your shoulders for example. He uses two pairs of dubmbells one lighter and one heavier with complementary exercises.

Yes if you want to have weight days and then cardio that works well but add in a hiit like that and it shocks your muscles in a good way.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17518.50
      04-08-2020, 03:39 PM   #18
flashollie
Lieutenant
Rep

Ah now I get it. Splits hammer the muscle groups more through different exercises on same group. Hence needs longer rest.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17518.50
      04-08-2020, 03:45 PM   #19
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Ah now I get it. Splits hammer the muscle groups more through different exercises on same group. Hence needs longer rest.
Yep, splits are necessary when full body or upper/lower body splits just aren't stressing the muscles enough anymore.

When I haven't trained for a few months (which is very often these days ) I always do upper/lower body splits.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 03:49 PM   #20
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'd disagree. That video I was on about destroys your shoulders for example. He uses two pairs of dubmbells one lighter and one heavier with complementary exercises.

Yes if you want to have weight days and then cardio that works well but add in a hiit like that and it shocks your muscles in a good way.
Yes changing things up and shocking the muscles is definitely a good thing now and then. Battle ropes are something I wish I had room for in my garage.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 07:22 PM   #21
Vasumir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes changing things up and shocking the muscles is definitely a good thing now and then. Battle ropes are something I wish I had room for in my garage.
Battle ropes are awesome. Could you not just use them outside your garage? i.e. attach them to something in the garage and trail them out the door... Especially now the weather is better.
Appreciate 1
teaston10998.00
      04-09-2020, 12:06 AM   #22
AndyTo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

I tried the HIIT sessions but found I was giving myself too long for rest periods, so bought a DVD I could follow. Firstly as I didn’t really know what I was doing so I could see technique but also get my timings right between work & rest.
I’ve been using Body Beast for about 18 months and while I’m a very long way from looking like the instructors, results have been good and everything has a bit more shape and is a lot firmer.

It’s designed to be done at home and I started with a cheap dumbbell set and a kitchen chair, worked ok. Now bought a set of rubber hex dumbbells and a proper bench and it is less hassle now. I’m still enjoying it. Sessions are between 25-45 mins so I can get one in while dinner is cooking.

If you’re looking to tone up a bit I’d recommend any dynamic set training DVD. There will be loads on eBay or amazon.
Appreciate 0