E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Mirrorlink lag on new Android 8.8" CIC replacement head unit?

04-03-2020, 05:20 PM   #1
Throttleman
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E93

Mirrorlink lag on new Android 8.8" CIC replacement head unit?

I have installed a multimedia interface box that connects between my stock 2013 E93 CIC idrive head unit and have a chromecast connected to it via HDMI. I installed this interface to add a backup camera and to stream video wirelessly from my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7 edge).

My issue is that there is about a 1 second lag between the video on the screen and the audio when playing youtube videos on my phone.

Does the Mirrorlink on the AVIN, Belsee, etc... 8.8" replacement Android head units also have this lag when using the Mirrorlink function? I won't bother installing one of these if I am likely to see the same kind of lag when mirroring my phone.

I realize that the android unit will allow me to use Youtube directy from the app so I have to assume that there is no lag when using the app?

All input on this matter would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 07:18 PM   #2
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

The links are not pass through devices.

They must transcode the input video to what the CIC expects and rebuild the stream while buffering it.

Normally you would not notice the delays as with a backup camera.

The disparity between the audio and the video however makes it stand out. I have an Android mirror link in anther vehicle that exhibits the same thing.

Unless the head unit handles direct video input there will always be some form of delay.

The backup camera's delay is unnoticeable since you pay attention to only the display.
Appreciate 0