F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > B6s installed still clunking
Extreme Powerhouse

03-29-2020, 09:36 AM   #1
Momir13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 335i xdrive

B6s installed still clunking

So right before my cpo ended I took my car in for a clunk it had developed in my 2 months of ownership. Dealer said a front strut (EDC) was leaking and needed replacement.

I was sure it was the rack.

Fast forward to yesterday and I installed b6s and m3 springs on the car. ( at an Indy)

The clunk is much improved but still present.

How do I go about having the rack clunk looked at and potentially still fixed under warranty as the initial complaint was made while in CPO.

I also have video of the noises before and after strut replacement, and the sound is the similar if not exact.

Should I just attempt the rack fix myself? Or if I end up being the unlucky few, who need an entire new rack, would that give BMW an excuse to make my life difficult ?

Appreciate and thanks ahead of time for any answers/advuc
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 11:27 AM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Since the indy shop worked on your car last, as the first step - I suggest returning to this shop and asking them to diagnose the clunk problem.

If the problem has nothing to do with the suspension, then you might have a chance (might ...) visiting the dealer and showing the diagnostic report. There is a chance that the dealer will identify the same root cause and honor the initial complaint while under CPO warranty.
Appreciate 1
Momir1340.00
      03-29-2020, 12:06 PM   #3
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Bet you it's the thrust piece for the steering rack. There's a cheap repair kit from bmw. 32106891974
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 01:08 PM   #4
Momir13
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschmacher View Post
Bet you it's the thrust piece for the steering rack. There's a cheap repair kit from bmw. 32106891974
I've seen this, but the newtis Install seems fairly complex; requiring specialty tools and coding afterwards as well. Is this correct ?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 05:24 PM   #5
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momir13 View Post
I've seen this, but the newtis Install seems fairly complex; requiring specialty tools and coding afterwards as well. Is this correct ?
My local performance shop did mine for me and honestly I think the official BMW directions are more complex than necessary. I don't *think* they coded anything, but I can tell you that it totally resolved my issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 05:57 PM   #6
Momir13
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
My local performance shop did mine for me and honestly I think the official BMW directions are more complex than necessary. I don't *think* they coded anything, but I can tell you that it totally resolved my issue.
Well that's next Saturday's project then! You're on b6s also right???

After a long drive today I'm surprised to find how bouncy the ride was in comfort sometimes .

(I also lowered myself on M3 springs (no sunroof not zcp )) perhaps a different spring would alleviate this ?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 05:58 PM   #7
Momir13
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Since the indy shop worked on your car last, as the first step - I suggest returning to this shop and asking them to diagnose the clunk problem.

If the problem has nothing to do with the suspension, then you might have a chance (might ...) visiting the dealer and showing the diagnostic report. There is a chance that the dealer will identify the same root cause and honor the initial complaint while under CPO warranty.
Hey mate Indy said same as dealer , could be struts or steering rack and since the dealer already diagnosed my front left strut as leaking I went strut route first.
Oddly enough, I asked to see my struts and there was no leak in the left one, looks identical and traveled the same as the right one.

Just goes to show how much guesswork goes into everything 😅
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 02:19 PM   #8
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Hey mate Indy said same as dealer , could be struts or steering rack and since the dealer already diagnosed my front left strut as leaking I went strut route first.
Oddly enough, I asked to see my struts and there was no leak in the left one, looks identical and traveled the same as the right one.

I do have B6s, but the adaptive version. The mildest eibach springs as well. Mine is still a little bouncy in comfort, but way better than stock. Feels like the way the car should have shipped IMO.
Interior: Bavsound stage 1 and subs - custom trunk sub by Mike1327
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 02:39 PM   #9
Momir13
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I do have B6s, but the adaptive version. The mildest eibach springs as well. Mine is still a little bouncy in comfort, but way better than stock. Feels like the way the car should have shipped IMO.
I'm on adaptives too, didn't wanna lose the edc at allll
Appreciate 0