BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-19-2020, 08:47 PM   #1
jasindude1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW X3

)7 BMW X3 Multiple misfires on almost all cylinders, help please.

Bought a new to me BMW X3, ordered some radiator hoses, and few other things here and there and finally got it fired. It ran like shit and would barely idle. I thought it was maybe bad gas to ran some fuel treatment and seafoam. No improvement, it would idle ok end then idle would go up and down and finally die. Went to autozone to get codes read and it had multiple misfires on almost every cylinder except 6. I was told to do the plugs, pulled the plugs and they were Denso iridium and look fairly new and good, i dont think they are the factory plugs. Next was ignition coils that was recommended, are these notorious for going out? i have 130k on the clock. any info will be appreciated. oh any my cats have been removed, this was done prior.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 09:44 PM   #2
PostModernHero
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasindude1 View Post
Bought a new to me BMW X3, ordered some radiator hoses, and few other things here and there and finally got it fired. It ran like shit and would barely idle. I thought it was maybe bad gas to ran some fuel treatment and seafoam. No improvement, it would idle ok end then idle would go up and down and finally die. Went to autozone to get codes read and it had multiple misfires on almost every cylinder except 6. I was told to do the plugs, pulled the plugs and they were Denso iridium and look fairly new and good, i dont think they are the factory plugs. Next was ignition coils that was recommended, are these notorious for going out? i have 130k on the clock. any info will be appreciated. oh any my cats have been removed, this was done prior.
One... you posted this in the wrong forum, as this specific to the latest gen X3. Two... this sounds like the Eccentric Shaft Sensor to me. It lives inside the engine under the valve cover. A crappy place to live as it eventually doesn't survive being bathed in oil. Oil seeps in, and kills the sensor. This happened to me in my 328i wagon, which I believe has your engine in common (N52).
Appreciate 0