BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-05-2020, 10:44 AM   #1
Bimmer100_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 M3 6SPD

Garage List
New tires for 19 x3 m40i recommendations needed

Hey everyone. My x3 has 10k miles and I want to get rid of the run flats. I've narrowed it down to either the Michelin Pilot sport a/s 3 plus and the continental DWS. Does anyone have experiences with either and which is recommended for all season (NY). Also my next question is with a lease return, do I need to return the car with original run flats or can I return with either of the 2 tires listed above?

One more thing, is it recommended to have an alignment done after new tires even though the car has 10k miles? If so, should the dealer perform the alignment or can any performance shop with alignment rack do it? Thanks
      03-05-2020, 10:54 AM   #2
HoustonEaDo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Re: lease return, it has to have run flats

I recently had an alignment done -- dealer wanted $250....had it done at local shop for $99
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 11:04 AM   #3
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Search, plenty of reading material, example: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1674013
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 01:27 PM   #4
dmicah
Internet Weasel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwsteg View Post
Hey everyone. My x3 has 10k miles and I want to get rid of the run flats. I've narrowed it down to either the Michelin Pilot sport a/s 3 plus and the continental DWS. Does anyone have experiences with either and which is recommended for all season (NY). Also my next question is with a lease return, do I need to return the car with original run flats or can I return with either of the 2 tires listed above?
I yanked my RFTs within 400 miles and am storing them to remount upon the lease return. Currently I'm on the Pilot sports you mention and really like the ride and handling compared to my OEM Alenza RFTs. I think you can get away with returning the car with 10k RFTs on it.

As for which tire, if you do the research on tirerack, I think the DWS tends to handle snow a bit better than the Michelins, and so might be better for you if you think you're going to need that. In Seattle we tend to get snow once a year and my other car wears winters in the winter, so I went with the Michelins.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 01:33 PM   #5
Bimmer100_
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmicah View Post
Quote:
I yanked my RFTs within 400 miles and am storing them to remount upon the lease return. Currently I'm on the Pilot sports you mention and really like the ride and handling compared to my OEM Alenza RFTs. I think you can get away with returning the car with 10k RFTs on it.

As for which tire, if you do the research on tirerack, I think the DWS tends to handle snow a bit better than the Michelins, and so might be better for you if you think you're going to need that. In Seattle we tend to get snow once a year and my other car wears winters in the winter, so I went with the Michelins.
We don't get much snow in NY either. I like the performance of the Michelin and the comfort of the conti (according to reviews). However I don't mind the current comfort of the oem Bridgestone rft so if I go with the Michelin, I should still notice a big improvement in comfort, I assume?
      03-05-2020, 01:38 PM   #6
dmicah
Internet Weasel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
We don't get much snow in NY either. I like the performance of the Michelin and the comfort of the conti (according to reviews). However I don't mind the current comfort of the oem Bridgestone rft so if I go with the Michelin, I should still notice a big improvement in comfort, I assume?
Yes, you'll notice it. BTW, you're obviously not upstate if you don't get much snow!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 06:22 AM   #7
Bimmer100_
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, you'll notice it. BTW, you're obviously not upstate if you don't get much snow!
NYC. Have you had any issues with the Michelin and pot holes as far as getting bubbles on the tires, etc? The reviews say the sidewall is stiffer.
      03-06-2020, 08:27 AM   #8
dmicah
Internet Weasel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
NYC. Have you had any issues with the Michelin and pot holes as far as getting bubbles on the tires, etc? The reviews say the sidewall is stiffer.
Sorry, too early to tell. Less than 1K miles. But none so far
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 08:48 AM   #9
Yellowmattei
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi Msport, '20 X3 M40i

Quote:
Bubbles in the sidewall generally only apply to RFT's. The bubbles occur when the rubber separates from the steel that supports the sidewall after the air goes out.

The Michelin's might ride harder because they're stiffer. The DWS's are definitely a softer tire from everything I've read, but I've never had the Michelin's on any car so I can't really compare them. I have had the DWS's though, and liked them very much. I will either switch to those, or perhaps the Goodyear Exhilarates, which I've been hearing good things about.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 08:59 AM   #10
kargurin
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowmattei View Post
Bubbles in the sidewall generally only apply to RFT's. The bubbles occur when the rubber separates from the steel that supports the sidewall after the air goes out.

The Michelin's might ride harder because they're stiffer. The DWS's are definitely a softer tire from everything I've read, but I've never had the Michelin's on any car so I can't really compare them. I have had the DWS's though, and liked them very much. I will either switch to those, or perhaps the Goodyear Exhilarates, which I've been hearing good things about.
In December I had a blowout on the sidewall of my Pirelli rear passenger tire. Good news: it was RFT so I easily drove to a BMW dealership just 15 minutes away where they had a replacement in stock. Bad news (potentially): did the blowout occur because it was a RFT and developed a bubble somehow (pothole impact)? Do standard tires ever blowout on the sidewall? Ever since RFTs became repairable I don't mind them. Five years ago no one would touch the Pirelli's if it caught a nail. A few years ago they changed their policy and now no one complains when I need a nail plugged.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2020, 09:42 AM   #11
blschaefer1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 xDrive 30i

I’ve had Conti DWS06’s on my 2020 M40i since new. Love everything about the tires. They ride well and are very quiet. Plenty of grip for an SUV. Tire pressure is a bit critical with these in my opinion. I’m on 20” and running 38 front and 40 rear, cold.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 10:35 AM   #12
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ are good all-rounders. Great traction in any temp, wet or dry. However their weakness is when on actual snow and ice. Perhaps the Conti DWS 06 are better on snow/ice.

The Bridgestone Duelers RFT aren't terrible. They are mediocre, however they are low-rolling-resistance and get great MPG - about 8-10% better than the Pilot Sport A/S 3+. If that matters to you.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 11:52 AM   #13
Bimmer100_
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I just ordered the Michelin's. I've had that the contis on my previous cars so I'm eager to try these out.

Is it recommended to have an alignment done after swapping the tires?
      03-06-2020, 11:58 AM   #14
dmicah
Internet Weasel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Not required, but is a good idea WRT preserving the tires and making sure they wear correctly. If your alignment is already good, like you had an alignment a couple months ago, then there's little value. If it's been a while, it's a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 12:16 PM   #15
Bimmer100_
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not required, but is a good idea WRT preserving the tires and making sure they wear correctly. If your alignment is already good, like you had an alignment a couple months ago, then there's little value. If it's been a while, it's a good idea.
I'll probably just get the alignment. I've never done the alignment and I purchased in Aug 2019. I rather do it since I've read that many cars come from factory with the alignment out of whack
      03-06-2020, 01:53 PM   #16
MikeG12
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M40, 2000 Z3M, 2017 X1

i've had the Michelin AS3+ on both my 228 RWD and X1 X Drive. I use snow tires on the 228 during the winter because it is RWD but use the AS 3+'s all year on the X1. No problem handling snow on the X1. They are still high performance tires so don't expect 70K miles out of them but they are better than the original RFT's which wore out very quickly.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 09:15 AM   #17
Bimmer100_
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Had the Michelin's installed yesterday and alignment done. I was surprised to see that the rear alignment was off from factory. Does anyone have the stock alignment specs for 19 m40i with 19" wheels? Thanks
      03-15-2020, 11:47 AM   #18
newsmarr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 x3 3.0I

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
The Michelin's would be a great 3 season tire but I wouldn't use them in the winter.
Appreciate 0