F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N55 oil filter housing gasket replacement cost in so cal
Studio RSR

03-04-2020, 11:46 AM   #1
leejak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F12 6401ED, F32 428i

N55 oil filter housing gasket replacement cost in so cal

Hi:

Was wondering what the cost is for an Indy shop to replace oil filter housing gaskets in so cal or Orange County.....recommendations for Indy shops would be great as well...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 12:08 PM   #2
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by leejak View Post
Hi:

Was wondering what the cost is for an Indy shop to replace oil filter housing gaskets in so cal or Orange County.....recommendations for Indy shops would be great as well...
DIY $50
      03-04-2020, 12:20 PM   #3
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Hi:

I think there is a section of the forum for this. SSR and european auto source come to mind. I never used either, but remember them from when i was searching. I ended up just doing my IC+CP+DP install myself.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 12:51 PM   #4
leejak
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
I think there is a section of the forum for this. SSR and european auto source come to mind. I never used either, but remember them from when i was searching. I ended up just doing my IC+CP+DP install myself.
Yeah, was considering doing DIY....have done most things DIY till now...but have moved and no longer have a nice garage to work in....current situation in a very small garage may make it difficult....but still considering DIY unless indy shop can do for a reasonable $$....I know stealer will what over $1000....to replace $30 worth of parts....which is a design flaw anyway, at least to my way of thinking...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 05:48 PM   #5
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, was considering doing DIY....have done most things DIY till now...but have moved and no longer have a nice garage to work in....current situation in a very small garage may make it difficult....but still considering DIY unless indy shop can do for a reasonable $$....I know stealer will what over $1000....to replace $30 worth of parts....which is a design flaw anyway, at least to my way of thinking...
Quote:
Quote:
Hi:

Very easy to replace and you don't need a big space. You don't have to get under the car, all done up top and up front.
      03-11-2020, 08:23 PM   #6
Fourdirty5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: N55 F30 335i & S55 F82 M4

Im in socal, I can help u out for free ninety nine . I did the ofhg twice and the vcg three times. I think I’ve nailed it by now 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 08:25 PM   #7
Fourdirty5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Word of advice: should you choose to diy it, get the new o ring seals for the two plastic tubes that hook up to the ofhg. Those two rubber seals can start leaking, especially sfter being takenn apart.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 01:06 PM   #8
leejak
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourdirty5 View Post
Word of advice: should you choose to diy it, get the new o ring seals for the two plastic tubes that hook up to the ofhg. Those two rubber seals can start leaking, especially sfter being takenn apart.
Hi:

Where are you located?.....I am in Irvine......so this is actually on a F13 640i with the N55 engine......it does not look as crammed as it does on a f32.....which is more encouraging to me to attemp diy.....although it looks like one of the intake manifold bolts is not visible but can be feelable....

Also, will a 3/8 drive E10 socket be able to engage the hidden bolt on the oil filter housing......I keep seeing people say you need a 1/4 inch drive socket with a universal joint.....
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 01:09 PM   #9
Fourdirty5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi:

Where are you located?.....I am in Irvine......so this is actually on a F13 640i with the N55 engine......it does not look as crammed as it does on a f32.....which is more encouraging to me to attemp diy.....although it looks like one of the intake manifold bolts is not visible but can be feelable....

Also, will a 3/8 drive E10 socket be able to engage the hidden bolt on the oil filter housing......I keep seeing people say you need a 1/4 inch drive socket with a universal joint.....
yes, that dreaded "hidden" bolt. It's best to use the universal joint. It's not really a big deal. For this, it's best to not take any shortcuts. I have all the necessary tools, and tbh, this job is one that can be done on a driveway, as long as the tools are there. I'll send you a pm and we can link up on the weekend or something.
Appreciate 1
_das_bae_374.50
      03-12-2020, 01:42 PM   #10
_das_bae_
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourdirty5 View Post
yes, that dreaded "hidden" bolt. It's best to use the universal joint. It's not really a big deal. For this, it's best to not take any shortcuts. I have all the necessary tools, and tbh, this job is one that can be done on a driveway, as long as the tools are there. I'll send you a pm and we can link up on the weekend or something.
+1 on this, did this by myself in my garage and took me 2hrs going slow just to make sure I was doing everything right the first time. It will save you a big chunk of change and there are several videos/DIY tutorials here to help.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0