Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Mission Performance Stage 2 Review

02-23-2020, 02:32 AM   #1
BayM340i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Mission Performance Stage 2 Review

Hey everyone!

I've got about 5k miles on the car now and thought it might be a good time to give some feedback on Alex's tune.

He's been a pleasure to work with, and I've bounced around between Stage 1 and 2, and also with and without burble mode. Without going into detail, I can 100% recommend any of these options.

I flashed to Stage 1 before my downpipe arrived and immediately noticed the power difference. I was honestly surprised by the difference on just a stock car. I only ran Stage 1 for about a week, but if I were to keep the stock equipment on the car, I would be completely satisfied with the gains.

Now I have the VRSF downpipe and stage 2 with burble mode. I am unfortunately running 91 octane here, but the power difference is incredible. It really makes me curious to run the e30 mix. I ran Stage 2 with stock spark plugs for a while and after gapping down to .025 (recommended by Alex) I did feel a small change in responsiveness.

The burble mode with a VRSF downpipe is a pretty intense. I've played around with individual sport settings and there's actually a big difference between comfort, sport, AND sport plus. It's nice to have the option to throw it in comfort and have nearly no popping, but let's be honest, we're almost always in sport. Sport and Sport Plus (individual engine settings) also have a difference. In Sport Plus it's pretty obnoxious. You'll hear burbles revving down from 2k, and gunshots anywhere over 5k.

Alex's support has been incredible throughout all of these changes. I didn't have any issues flashing over OBD, and he was available should anything come up. I've changed the flash myself 10+ times by now to feel the differences and apply new settings.

UPDATE: Alex has the CEL sorted out. Hoping that this will fix the launch and remote start as well.

I did have an issue with a CEL for my catless DP, but Alex was able to clear that up for me with an updated flash. I believe launch and remote start were caused by this CEL. Will update soon.

I'll be putting the car on a dyno soon, running stock, then Stage 2. I'll be sure to upload the results. Trying to find a good spot to use draggy as well. Even without the numbers, I can say this thing is MUCH faster..

Here's a flyby video and another showcasing the car.
Picked up all of the exterior part from getBMWparts!

Last edited by BayM340i; 02-24-2020 at 01:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 07:18 AM   #2
37b
☠️
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

Did you read what the CEL code was? I am curious if it's related to the downpipe rather than the time.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 11:11 AM   #3
BayM340i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37b View Post
Did you read what the CEL code was? I am curious if it's related to the downpipe rather than the time.
It was just from the the catless downpipe. Just spoke with Alex and it's not an issue anymore. Getting the updated tune for my car now. It was only an issue on my car.

The codes I've had are:

CD990B - Message (front axle speed request, 69.3.4) missing, receiver DME, transmitter DSC
CD990E - Message (front axle speed request, 69.3.4) missing, receiver DME, transmitter DSC
1F2113 - Saying my factory remote start option is broken.
021204 - DME: Function enable, RPM limiter, power stage 1: Malfunction / DME: Transport mode active
180001 - Downpipe detected

The first two have always been there. Apparently it's normal in the RWD car.
The rest should be cleared with this update.
Appreciate 2
37b86.00
      02-23-2020, 11:54 AM   #4
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayM340i View Post
It was just from the the catless downpipe. Just spoke with Alex and it's not an issue anymore. Getting the updated tune for my car now. It was only an issue on my car.
Glad you got things figured out - so nice to be able to actually have a conversation with your tuner vs being forced to email etc...

That aside - certainly try a little e85 in your tank to get close to an e30 blend if you can - like you, I'm in CA, and subjected to the 91 crap gas. The e30 blend (or 93) make an already outstanding tune (MP) just a little better. And while it's probably not practical on a regular basis for you it would be great to get your feedback.

Beautiful car - great mods - thanks for the share!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 12:24 PM   #5
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

Lol that airstrip video. Was that featured on your instagram?
Nice car. I'd love to see some dragy times.

| Previous: 18 M3 ZCP | 17 M3 6MT | 15 M235i |
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 02:18 PM   #6
BayM340i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Glad you got things figured out - so nice to be able to actually have a conversation with your tuner vs being forced to email etc...

That aside - certainly try a little e85 in your tank to get close to an e30 blend if you can - like you, I'm in CA, and subjected to the 91 crap gas. The e30 blend (or 93) make an already outstanding tune (MP) just a little better. And while it's probably not practical on a regular basis for you it would be great to get your feedback.

Beautiful car - great mods - thanks for the share!
I've reached out to him more times than I'd like to admit 😅 I really would like to stop by the shop at some point to say thanks for all the help he's provided

Going to try out the e85 mix here soon. I have a station 1 mile from my house! Probably going to run it for a little while and do the Dyno like that. I'm always super cautious with this stuff though and will probably switch back to 91 just for long term safety and convenience.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 02:20 PM   #7
BayM340i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnstr View Post
Lol that airstrip video. Was that featured on your instagram?
Nice car. I'd love to see some dragy times.
Thanks! I never really posted it anywhere. We unfortunately messed up the exhaust audio there. Planning to get the M Performance exhaust soon and will have to try again. Haven't heard many good sound clips with that setup.

We tried to use draggy but it was being glitchy and giving inaccurate times. Not worth posting anything from it the way it was recording. Definitely going to try again soon though.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 02:41 PM   #8
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

Quote:
Thanks! I never really posted it anywhere. We unfortunately messed up the exhaust audio there. Planning to get the M Performance exhaust soon and will have to try again. Haven't heard many good sound clips with that setup.

We tried to use draggy but it was being glitchy and giving inaccurate times. Not worth posting anything from it the way it was recording. Definitely going to try again soon though.
Exhaust is tricky for sure. I just bought a decent mic for my dslr to record the MPE audio and take car videos in general. You should check near the end of the MPE thread on here theres a few new videos posted recently. Picking up my car in April with MPE port installed.

| Previous: 18 M3 ZCP | 17 M3 6MT | 15 M235i |
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 02:47 PM   #9
BayM340i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnstr View Post
Exhaust is tricky for sure. I just bought a decent mic for my dslr to record the MPE audio and take car videos in general. You should check near the end of the MPE thread on here theres a few new videos posted recently. Picking up my car in April with MPE port installed.
Awesome, I'll check it out.

We have a really nice mic as we do photo/video production full-time. But we left the windsock off and it ruined the audio 😂
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 11:24 AM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for the review

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 03:08 PM   #11
cryptomit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320d 2012

Quote:

The codes I've had are:

CD990B - Message (front axle speed request, 69.3.4) missing, receiver DME, transmitter DSC
CD990E - Message (front axle speed request, 69.3.4) missing, receiver DME, transmitter DSC
021204 - DME: Function enable, RPM limiter, power stage 1: Malfunction / DME: Transport mode active

Can you please tell me what this error means?

I remapped my G20 330xi and I have this error. Car has stage 1 but something is wrong cause I don't really feel the difference :/. Is it some kind of ECU TP?

Thank you
      08-21-2021, 10:48 PM   #12
Care01less
@That.M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Comp

Quote:

The codes I've had are:

Hey sorry to bring back an old thread but I recently tuned my M340i and am getting the same 1F2113 Remote Start error code. I'm wondering if they ever found a solution for it. Really loved being able to have my car cool/heat itself after sitting in the sun at work all day but worried I might have just lost that function.
Appreciate 0