E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Alignment and Steering question...

09-08-2008, 11:11 PM   #1
edb5020
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Question Alignment and Steering question...

Hey guys, I was wondering if my alignment could be off even if the car stays straight and does not drift in either direction. I can really tell if there is any "uneven" wear on the tires. But the reason I am asking this question is because lately my steering does not feel as tight or responsive. I have a 328xi with 17" wheels with Bridgestone RFT. There is only 3000 miles on the car but I swear the steering feels different than it used to be. I know I should probably take it to my dealer, but I do not believe they like me very much because they actually had to trade assist my last BMW, and I am reluctant to take it unless I KNOW for sure there is something wrong. Thanks in advance for all responses, I greatly appreciate them.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 09:47 AM   #2
Lassaxi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: April ED - E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by edb5020 View Post
Hey guys, I was wondering if my alignment could be off even if the car stays straight and does not drift in either direction. I can really tell if there is any "uneven" wear on the tires. But the reason I am asking this question is because lately my steering does not feel as tight or responsive. I have a 328xi with 17" wheels with Bridgestone RFT. There is only 3000 miles on the car but I swear the steering feels different than it used to be. I know I should probably take it to my dealer, but I do not believe they like me very much because they actually had to trade assist my last BMW, and I am reluctant to take it unless I KNOW for sure there is something wrong. Thanks in advance for all responses, I greatly appreciate them.
Sure, it's possible that the alignment could be off even if the car doesn't pull to one side or the other. A toe-in problem could cause this, for instance. But you won't know for sure if there's something wrong unless you put it up on a rack, which means going to the dealer (or an independent alignment shop).
      09-09-2008, 10:26 AM   #3
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

Start of with easy stuff, check the tire pressure, if too low it will take the crispness away. In fact I run mine at 35 all around which above the recommended range. Then raise the front and check that both wheels/tires are straight by spinning. I doubt your camber/caster is off because those don't have much wiggle room, but as ^ he said the toe could cause this. If the wheel stays straight on even roads though I would be very surprised that it's your toe since the chances of both tie rods changing to modify the toe while keeping the wheel in the original position are pretty low.
      09-09-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
tintivilus
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 325i  [0.00]
Agree with above -- check your tire pressure. Sounds like your fronts might be low.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 11:31 AM   #5
Lassaxi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: April ED - E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by noro View Post
If the wheel stays straight on even roads though I would be very surprised that it's your toe since the chances of both tie rods changing to modify the toe while keeping the wheel in the original position are pretty low.
This is a good point. It's pretty rare for toe to be screwed up without causing pull because even after hitting a hard bump or pot hole, the chances that the toe would change evenly enough not to cause pull are pretty low. And, the chances of camber not being affected are also pretty slim. But it is at least theoretically possible. As everyone else said, check tire pressures first.
      09-09-2008, 07:32 PM   #6
Heat00
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

funny, after 27k, I've just replaced the rear tires and I was looking at the fronts today and they have some tread left, to my surprise.. however front right is bald on the outer edge...
I'm guessing that is from alignment or toe or something right??
should I have caught this earlier? how do you detect if it feels right on... wait till you see uneven wear? isn't it too late then?

Appreciate 0