BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-19-2020, 07:57 AM   #1
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

Lowering springs - Eibach pro kit

I'm considering getting the Eibach pro kit for my 40i with M Adaptive suspension and IAS.

https://www.eibachshop.co.uk/eibach-..._p32437696.htm

Has anyone done this? Would there be any compatibility issues with the adaptive suspension or IAS?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 03:25 PM   #2
BimmerVinyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Will these fit the G05? If so I'd be interested in getting for my 50i
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 05:05 AM   #3
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I've used the Eibach pro-kit on no less than 5 different vehicles over the past 15 years.

They are good and bad.

They are good, because they provide a MILD drop, and still maintain a reasonable comfort level.

They are bad, because they do SAG over time, and often they do it at an uneven rate. Additionally, they provide virtually no handling improvement whatsoever... it's just for "looks".

And, as with any aftermarket lowering spring, you can expect reduced strut life.

Good for 3-ish years, moderate drop, comfortable ride.

If you want a "performance" spring... pick something else.
6-Piston X5M Big Brake Kit:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1779038
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 09:34 AM   #4
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

So they would need replacing after 3 years?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 04:04 PM   #5
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post
So they would need replacing after 3 years?
Probably.... yes. Your struts likely will as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 01:35 AM   #6
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Probably.... yes. Your struts likely will as well.
The struts would need replacing because of the Eibach?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 05:51 AM   #7
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

The struts will need replacing at an earlier interval..... with ANY lowering spring.

Eibach makes a great product in that, they have a similar ride quality to stock, while offering a moderate drop, and a moderate improvement in appearance.

They will do NOTHING for handling/performance though.

The downside.... is that they are "soft" by comparison to most aftermarket springs..... so they will sag over time, and they will cause quicker wear on your struts too.

Stiffer lowering springs will extend strut life somewhat.... and will likely offer a lower drop, and better handling. The downside though, is that the ride quality will be noticeably more harsh.

It really depends on what you want, and what sacrifices you are willing to make.

For moderate drop, moderate appearance upgrade, and comfortable ride....but reduced strut life..... I recommend the Eibach pro-kit.

*** DO NOT BUY Eibach's more aggressive (even lower) lowering spring. I can't remember what they call it.... but it is just as "soft" as the pro-kit.... but much lower. They sag just as quickly, and because they are SO low, and SO soft.... your struts will be gone in a year..... no joke. EDIT: They are called the "Eibach Sportline". Don't buy those pieces of s**t, you will destroy your car.

For aggressive drop, aggressive handling upgrade, better strut life (than Eibach anyhow) but harsh ride.... I recommend Vogtland springs.

The only way you will get the best of both worlds..... is to buy a matched set of struts and springs. I recommend Koni Yellow struts, and your choice of springs. Koni's are engineered to work with lowering springs, adjustable, and will likely outlast your factory struts.

I'm not bashing the pro-kit at all. I've used them MANY times over the past 25 years. However, I've learned their shortcomings. The last car I used them on was my 2014 328i, but that time... I was smart, and I coupled them with Koni Yellows. Car handled PHENOMENAL.... ride quality was impeccable.... and the car looked better too. Struts were $700, springs were $250ish if I recall, and the whole setup was worth every penny.

Ironically, when I traded in the car, I removed the suspension, the MPerformance BBK, and converted it back to stock. My new 2016 340i had adaptive suspension, and it was an Msport, so I didn't feel the need to lower it. I sold the springs on eBay in a matter of hours. The Koni Yellow struts?? Are still sitting in my basement... 5 years later. No one wanted them. They wanted the "look" of a lowered car, but didn't want to spend a few extra bucks to have the handling and reliability. Bizarre.

Last edited by Ninefourteener; 05-18-2020 at 06:28 AM..
Appreciate 1
matowi173.00
      05-18-2020, 08:09 AM   #8
BimmerVinyl
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
The struts will need replacing at an earlier interval..... with ANY lowering spring.

Eibach makes a great product in that, they have a similar ride quality to stock, while offering a moderate drop, and a moderate improvement in appearance.

The downside.... is that they are "soft" by comparison to most aftermarket springs..... so they will sag over time, and they will cause quicker wear on your struts too.

Stiffer lowering springs will extend strut life somewhat.... and will likely offer a lower drop, and better handling. The downside though, is that the ride quality will be noticeably more harsh.

It really depends on what you want, and what

It really depends on what you want, and what sacrifices you are willing to make.

For moderate drop, moderate appearance upgrade, and comfortable ride....but reduced strut life..... I recommend the Eibach pro-kit.

*** DO NOT BUY Eibach's more aggressive (even lower) lowering spring. I can't remember what they call it.... but it is just as "soft" as the pro-kit.... but much lower. They sag just as quickly, and because they are SO low, and SO soft.... your struts will be gone in a year..... no joke. EDIT: They are called the "Eibach Sportline". Don't buy those pieces of s**t, you will destroy your car.

For aggressive drop, aggressive handling upgrade, better strut life (than Eibach anyhow) but harsh ride.... I recommend Vogtland springs.

The only way you will get the best of both worlds..... is to buy a matched set of struts and springs. I recommend Koni Yellow struts, and your choice of springs. Koni's are engineered to work with lowering springs, adjustable, and will likely outlast your factory struts.

I'm not bashing the pro-kit at all. I've used them MANY times over the past 25 years. However, I've learned their shortcomings. The last car I used them on was my 2014 328i, but that time... I was smart, and I coupled them with Koni Yellows. Car handled PHENOMENAL.... ride quality was impeccable.... and the car looked better too. Struts were $700, springs were $250ish if I recall, and the whole setup was worth every penny.

Ironically, when I traded in the car, I removed the suspension, the MPerformance BBK, and converted it back to stock. My new 2016 340i had adaptive suspension, and it was an Msport, so I didn't feel the need to lower it. I sold the springs on eBay in a matter of hours. The Koni Yellow struts?? Are still sitting in my basement... 5 years later. No one wanted them. They wanted the "look" of a lowered car, but didn't want to spend a few extra bucks to have the handling and reliability. Bizarre.
Thanks, 914. Always appreciate your insight!
I just went to check out Vogtland, but it doesn't have anything for the G05... yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 08:09 PM   #9
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

So with the adaptive M suspension, would it be a costly exercise replacing the struts with OEM pieces?

The only other option that I'm aware of at the moment are KW v3 which would mean losing the electronic dampening I presume?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 08:13 PM   #10
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
So with the adaptive M suspension, would it be a costly exercise replacing the struts with OEM pieces?

The only other option that I'm aware of at the moment are KW v3 which would mean losing the electronic dampening I presume?
KW v3 have quite the reputation. Google KW v3 clunking and you will find a LOT of info on virtually every single platform. Personally, I would avoid them at all cost. I would go springs plus KONI yellow long before I would ever throw another V3 on any vehicle I own.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 08:21 PM   #11
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Going Koni yellow would also lose the adaptive dampening too?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 08:50 PM   #12
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Going Koni yellow would also lose the adaptive dampening too?
I don't believe they have a shock/strut with active dampening.

My 2 cents is that your shocks will go in 4 years either way. I would run a spring with stock struts no problem. A bunch of my F10 M5 buddies do it with springs and still get 75% of the life of the shock/strut. There is no question you have a slight loss in life, but it isn't as substantial as you think.

I will go with a lowering spring on stock shock/strut when we get a good option. I would love to see spring rates and linear vs progressive before deciding. I am not sure Eibach are what I want on this truck or not. Would like to see a couple more options before deciding.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 09:14 PM   #13
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Ah interesting thanks for the input. Funnily enough I've also got an E70 X5 which is now 10 years old on stock sport suspension and never replaced anything. Still drives fine lol
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 09:27 PM   #14
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ah interesting thanks for the input. Funnily enough I've also got an E70 X5 which is now 10 years old on stock sport suspension and never replaced anything. Still drives fine lol
I have driven on leaky shocks for a while on DD. LOL! It happens. If it isn't bouncing like crazy, then I am not replacing them. This is a performance SUV, so I care a bit more this time.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 11:55 PM   #15
UltraDave
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

The AC Schnitzer springs are designed to work on stock struts since they are only a modest drop.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 01:30 AM   #16
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDave View Post
The AC Schnitzer springs are designed to work on stock struts since they are only a modest drop.
I thought ACS was a rebranded Eibach?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 01:53 AM   #17
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB316 View Post
Thanks, 914. Always appreciate your insight!
I just went to check out Vogtland, but it doesn't have anything for the G05... yet.
You're welcome. You know what though.... the other folks are right. I forgot that all X5s have adaptive suspension. With Koni yellows, you would lose that. I completely forgot. My bad.

I've never used an aftermarket strut with adaptive connections.... I can't provide any insight on that one.

Still... if you want to go with just springs.... the pro-kit is not a bad choice for a daily driver. Hopefully the roads where you live arent too bad??
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 02:02 AM   #18
UltraDave
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I noticed that the Eibach springs have the same part number for the V6 and the V8 cars. That’s a big problem if you care about handling. A V8 is going to be heavier in the front and require stiffer springs.
Appreciate 2
matowi173.00
      05-19-2020, 08:32 AM   #19
BimmerVinyl
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I noticed that the Eibach springs have the same part number for the V6 and the V8 cars. That’s a big problem if you care about handling. A V8 is going to be heavier in the front and require stiffer springs.
If I stand correct, I believe the N63 engine is within 200 pounds of the B58 weight wise. Still a large gap between the two but on a 5,000+ pound car I'm not sure you'd notice or feel the difference in nose dive unless you were really pushing the car. And at that point, electronics probably takes over, making the difference even more minuscule.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 11:17 AM   #20
UltraDave
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB316 View Post
If I stand correct, I believe the N63 engine is within 200 pounds of the B58 weight wise. Still a large gap between the two but on a 5,000+ pound car I'm not sure you'd notice or feel the difference in nose dive unless you were really pushing the car. And at that point, electronics probably takes over, making the difference even more minuscule.
It may not be a huge difference but that weight is right over the axle. Just tells me that they are not engineered to specific vehicles. The AC Schnitzer springs on the other hand are specifically tested on the Nurburgring.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 02:52 PM   #21
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It may not be a huge difference but that weight is right over the axle. Just tells me that they are not engineered to specific vehicles. The AC Schnitzer springs on the other hand are specifically tested on the Nurburgring.
Are you sure the ACS aren't rebranded Eibach? I thought that was confirmed?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 09:12 PM   #22
UltraDave
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130FeetDeep View Post
Are you sure the ACS aren't rebranded Eibach? I thought that was confirmed?
Eibach doesn’t have the parts for the M50i yet so I don’t think that it true.
Appreciate 0