E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Auto Insurance on E92, Assistance Needed!!!

09-07-2008, 09:34 PM   #1
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Auto Insurance on E92, Assistance Needed!!!

First thing first, THIS FORUM IS AWSOME!!! (including the Off-Topic area ) Really appreciate every forum member for their contribution and love for BMW.

Anyway, here is my question. It's about getting auto insurance, something not really car-related, but definitely essential.

Well, i have been driving in Vancouver since i was 17. I just came to Chicago a year ago to studying in college. I don't have an American or Illinois driving license at this time, but will after I get a job on campus so I can apply for a security number that will allow me to get a driver license (never thought getting a driver license can be this complicated...).

The whole process shouldn't take more than a month, so I am looking forward to placing my order on a E92 335i no later than end of this year. But as I said, I am from Vancouver, Canada and is rather confused by number of car insurance companies there are in States (the province that Vancouver is at only have one auto insurance company). So I am wondering how much should the insurance cost me and which company are good and which are to avoid. It would be great that anyone similar of my ago could share their story on auto insurance. Some of my insurance related information are listed below.
- Male, 19, College Student (high GPA in a top private university)
- Driving since 17, clean record (no accident, no speeding, nothing )
- Canadian license and Chinese license (lol, weird, i know)

By the way, any of you Chicago guys can recommend me some good dealerships in this area? That would really help too. (Any of them do pickup? I don't have a car at here...)

(and please, don't flame me because i look like just another kid getting a bimmer at such a young age. i am aware that i am fortunate to have all of this. I am a responsible person and definitely won't end up crashing into a house like we have seen from the kids with that white M3 few weeks ago .)
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 09:58 PM   #2
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Your best bet is to call around to State Farm, Allstate, etc. plus the company that has the BMW NA tie-in, Liberty Mutual.

That´s the only way to proceed - shop around.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 11:02 PM   #3
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Try GEICO for sure. Most other companies have high premium for young drivers with expensive cars When i renewed my M3's policy I called a couple other companies, and the cheapest was $1100+ vs. $758 GEICO.

BTW i have a chinese license too.

FYI, when I was 20 w/ 335xi coupe, it was $714 per six months.

GL!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 11:08 PM   #4
flicks28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i; 2006 325i

Yes, you will have to call around and make sure you ask the insurance companies if they recognize a Canadian drivers license. I mainly work with people who are foreigners in the United States and they pay absolutely insane car insurance rates and alot of these people have driven in their home countries for more then 20 years. Many times car insurance companies in the US consider them "new drivers" and assign a new driver rate to them. I have seen yearly rates of USD2500-6000 depending on the individual. In fact, 2 guys I know are paying $1035/month right now for an approx. $40K car. However, you need to call the insurance companies and ask if a Canadian drivers license "counts."
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 12:00 AM   #5
z4mber
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe

I am also a foreigner. Anyway I do not need a SSN to get a driver license, not in California. All i need is to prove that I have a student visa for a school here and the i-20. I have been tdriving for 4 years and I used to own a 08 x5 and a 07 mini, my insurance is 920 for half year. I think it really depends what insurance you use and your location. Being a foreign student should not bump up your insurance price. However you are very young and insurance might be expensive for a sport car.

Also when i go to my insurance company, they never ask am I a foreigner or not. I just show them my california ID and that's it! Maybe you should just give you US information unless they ask about your Canadian citizenship
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 12:52 AM   #6
Universal_Magnetic
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi

dont forget to get an LOE (letter of experience) and a drivers abstract for your driving history. that way they can/should credit you for however many years of driving experience you had in BC. you should probably get these yourself and then fax them over to the insurance company you decide to go with, because from personal experience ICBC does not give LOE's to brokers without the clients consent or having the client on the line (im in insurance broker in ontario btw)
      09-08-2008, 12:53 AM   #7
yoyeewee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW M6 coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
Try GEICO for sure. Most other companies have high premium for young drivers with expensive cars When i renewed my M3's policy I called a couple other companies, and the cheapest was $1100+ vs. $758 GEICO.

BTW i have a chinese license too.

FYI, when I was 20 w/ 335xi coupe, it was $714 per six months.

GL!
Yes...call GEICO (800) 841-3000

Call them now, they're open 24 hours!
2008 335i coupe Atlantic Blue with Black Leather Steptronic ZSP ZPP NAV PDC COMFORT ACCESS REAR SUNSHADE HEATED SEATS HD RADIO SIRIUS USB/IPOD 20" Klassen K5.1 3-piece wheels w/Toyo Tires Job Design Body Kit M3 Trunk Spoiler Eisenmann Exhaust Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 11:34 AM   #8
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

thanks everyone for their help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal_Magnetic View Post
dont forget to get an LOE (letter of experience) and a drivers abstract for your driving history. that way they can/should credit you for however many years of driving experience you had in BC. you should probably get these yourself and then fax them over to the insurance company you decide to go with, because from personal experience ICBC does not give LOE's to brokers without the clients consent or having the client on the line (im in insurance broker in ontario btw)
and i will look more into that while i am still at vancouver.
Appreciate 0