F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Possible to disable/alter the MPPSK via coding?
GetBMWParts

02-08-2020, 09:34 AM   #1
K_Squared
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i ZHP (Black/Black)

Possible to disable/alter the MPPSK via coding?

I recently purchased a 2018 340i w/ the ZHP package which includes the MPPSK. My first impression of the car after briefly owning a 2016 340i xDrive was, "Wow, this is WAY more 'planted', handles better, and the exhaust/engine sounds 100% better."

Anyways, after about a week or so I went and did all my usual coding via Bimmercode to adjust lighting, warnings, mirrors, etc. etc.

The question I have is this: It might be all in my head but I really feel like after my coding the exhaust/engine is a bit more...tame? I can't say for sure but I am wondering if when we recode the vehicle ECU via Bimmercode if it's possible that we're altering or disabling some of the factory tune features of the engine or exhaust that are part of the MPPSK. To confirm I did NOT disable ASD or modify anything in expert mode. I only changed standard settings in the Bimmercode app. If it's just in my head someone tell me so...or if I've inadvertently modified something I'd like to change it back. I feel like the burbles in Sport/Sport+ mode are less and they don't really happen anymore when revving in neutral.

I've searched around and haven't readily found any answers. Can someone please share some insight here? I'm still pretty new to BMW ownership and coding...but I absolutely LOVE the 340i ZHP!

Here are a couple images of the little beast:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oQ...pRU2dzaTVNVmvH

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hr...UgZXNPvvRQxxQt
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 12:05 PM   #2
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

No, you cannot altering or disabling some of the factory tune features of the engine or exhaust by coding.
This is deeper in the system and you cannot get there by coding.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 12:39 PM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

K_Squared, you are very lucky. In the US, only 100 F30 340i were released for sale with ZHP package: 75 equipped with a manual transmission and 25 equipped with ZF8 transmission. ZHP package had MSRP of $6995.

Functional coding will not impact MPSSK firmware. It's runs much deeper.

When your vehicle was delivered, did the dealer reprogram the vehicle to the latest software? If yes - verify that MPPSK firmware was also re-installed correctly.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 12:39 PM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Oh ... forgot to mention. The car looks great!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 01:41 PM   #5
K_Squared
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
K_Squared, you are very lucky. In the US, only 100 F30 340i were released for sale with ZHP package: 75 equipped with a manual transmission and 25 equipped with ZF8 transmission. ZHP package had MSRP of $6995.

Functional coding will not impact MPSSK firmware. It's runs much deeper.

When your vehicle was delivered, did the dealer reprogram the vehicle to the latest software? If yes - verify that MPPSK firmware was also re-installed correctly.
Thanks for the response. The ZHP package had literally everything I wish I had gotten on my first 340i so when I found it and realized how rare it was I was pretty quick to pull the trigger. Appreciate the affirmation there

It was delivered by a third-party dealer and I don't think any reprogramming was done. I firmly believe the MPPSK was installed correctly as the car sounds and pulls much better than my previous 340i (which was unfortunately involved in an accident). For some reason I just thought it was a bit less throaty and lesser burbles here recently after the coding but it could just be in my head. Also I'm still on my first full tank of gas (just got it last week) which is nearing empty so maybe if I go put some 93 in it that will make a noticeable difference as others with the MPPSK have mentioned.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 02:46 PM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Squared View Post
Thanks for the response. The ZHP package had literally everything I wish I had gotten on my first 340i so when I found it and realized how rare it was I was pretty quick to pull the trigger. Appreciate the affirmation there

It was delivered by a third-party dealer and I don't think any reprogramming was done. I firmly believe the MPPSK was installed correctly as the car sounds and pulls much better than my previous 340i (which was unfortunately involved in an accident). For some reason I just thought it was a bit less throaty and lesser burbles here recently after the coding but it could just be in my head. Also I'm still on my first full tank of gas (just got it last week) which is nearing empty so maybe if I go put some 93 in it that will make a noticeable difference as others with the MPPSK have mentioned.

Thanks again!
Well - by all means maximize the fun factor by always taking the longer route home.

It would be prudent to visit BMW dealer and see if the programming is at the latest version. It's still under warranty - correct?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 03:16 PM   #7
K_Squared
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Well - by all means maximize the fun factor by always taking the longer route home.

It would be prudent to visit BMW dealer and see if the programming is at the latest version. It's still under warranty - correct?
Hah, I just went out and did EXACTLY that (take the longer route home). I did a little joy riding on Sport+ in manual shift mode and I'll have to admit that it's the way it what when I first drove it. I might have just been getting a little used to it but at least wanted to make sure the coding couldn't interfere. I managed to hit about 370ish HP and 385ish torque on the sport display when I hit it full throttle.

It is still under warranty until April 2023 and has just under 5K miles on it.
Appreciate 0