BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)    Hard Water Spots?!

01-25-2020, 05:04 PM   #1
Tek-dad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 20 X5 M60i 24 i5 M60 24 X7 M60

Hard Water Spots?!

So I’ve had my X5 M50i for about a month. Finally decided to give her a good washing. Had it outside on a clear cool day. Brought it in the garage to dry it. Once it was in the garage and dry I see these water spots on the hood under the fluorescent lights of the garage. So I grab a little spray detailer and they won’t come out! Everything I see online says to use vinegar and water on the hard water spots but I’m petrified. If I take the car outside in the sunlight I can’t even see the spots. But back in the garage it’s clear as a bell. I’m attaching a pic.
The dealer threw in their ‘ceramic’ coating on the paint so I’m shocked there are water stains on the car. Could they be under the coating?!

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 05:23 PM   #2
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek-dad View Post
So I’ve had my X5 M50i for about a month. Finally decided to give her a good washing. Had it outside on a clear cool day. Brought it in the garage to dry it. Once it was in the garage and dry I see these water spots on the hood under the fluorescent lights of the garage. So I grab a little spray detailer and they won’t come out! Everything I see online says to use vinegar and water on the hard water spots but I’m petrified. If I take the car outside in the sunlight I can’t even see the spots. But back in the garage it’s clear as a bell. I’m attaching a pic.
The dealer threw in their ‘ceramic’ coating on the paint so I’m shocked there are water stains on the car. Could they be under the coating?!

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Question is if water stain is on top of or under ceramic coating. I would try removing again with detail spray in hope stain is on top of ceramic coating. If still doesn't come out and under ceramic I would do more research. Highly likely the ceramic has to be remove, paint corrected/ stains buffed out and either have ceramic coating reapplied or start wax routine.

There are plenty of expert knowledge on this site so answer is here, just don't know if you'll like the necessary fix.

FYI, I have vehicle scheduled for delivery within 10 days. I instructed dealer to remove protective film but not touch the paint. I will detail and wax myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 10:35 PM   #3
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
In what city did you purchase the vehicle? Did the dealer charge you for the ceramic coating? Was it a car off his lot or was it ordered?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 10:54 PM   #4
Tek-dad
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAGuy View Post
In what city did you purchase the vehicle? Did the dealer charge you for the ceramic coating? Was it a car off his lot or was it ordered?
It was not off the lot. I ordered it and ceramic coating was thrown in as part of my deal.

Going to try vinegar/water solution tomorrow in a very small spot.

My concern is that those spots are visible only under specific lighting conditions so they could have missed it entirely. I'll post the results tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 11:02 PM   #5
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
It was not off the lot. I ordered it and ceramic coating was thrown in as part of my deal.

Going to try vinegar/water solution tomorrow in a very small spot.

My concern is that those spots are visible only under specific lighting conditions so they could have missed it entirely. I'll post the results tomorrow.
I would try vinegar in an inconspicuous spot. Let's hope for the best.

Ceramic coating is an expensive and extensive process primarily for the work involved getting the paint ready even on new vehicles. I would imagine the dealer has other customers return with similar complaints.

Keep us informed how things turn out.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 08:13 PM   #6
Tek-dad
Private First Class
Rep

So today I washed her again. I even went a little nutty and rinsed it with distilled water.

Put it in the garage to dry the car. Once it was dry the spots were still there. So I took a mix of 1/2 distilled water 1/2 distilled vinegar and sprayed it on. Let it sit for a minute. Polished it and the spots are still there!

So I called the dealer and they assured me they are going to make it right.

I will keep posting updates.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 08:55 PM   #7
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
So today I washed her again. I even went a little nutty and rinsed it with distilled water.

Put it in the garage to dry the car. Once it was dry the spots were still there. So I took a mix of 1/2 distilled water 1/2 distilled vinegar and sprayed it on. Let it sit for a minute. Polished it and the spots are still there!

So I called the dealer and they assured me they are going to make it right.

I will keep posting updates.
Good to see dealers positive response however at this point I would be reluctant to have them touch my paint.
Resolution of this depends a great deal on how much you care. Is this a minor annoyance that you only see on close inspection and accept the door dings in parking lots and rock chips on hood are part of life? Or, do you wash car weekly taking pride in showing off that mirror like finish at auto shows? Probably someplace in between.
Talk with dealer to see his suggestion. If me, I would probably take to a “professional” detailer to resolve. I’m frugal so I would probably just ask detailer to remove coating and correct finish removing water spots etc. Then I would plan on waxing 2-3 times annually vs spending another $2-3K to apply ceramic coating again.

If you can live with the the blemishes, I would look to dealer for some sort of compensation for aggravation. Probably in the form of discounted services vs cash as potentially it has more value to you. (Discounted service should not include detailing).

Looking forward to your update.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 06:14 PM   #8
Tek-dad
Private First Class
Rep

Happy to report dealer took care of the problem! Today I picked up my X5 and all of the water stains are gone. Car looks fantastic! Whew!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 06:18 PM   #9
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Happy to report dealer took care of the problem! Today I picked up my X5 and all of the water stains are gone. Car looks fantastic! Whew!
What did they do? We're spots under the coating?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 08:24 PM   #10
Tek-dad
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
What did they do? We're spots under the coating?
You know what. Funny thing...I didn't even ask. They brought car out and I was busy inspecting it and so happy it was perfect I just thanked them and went on my way.

Yesterday they seemed to think it may be under the coating so they said they were going to buff it out. Whatever they did it was perfect!

Next time I'm in I'll ask.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 07:03 PM   #11
X519
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive 40i

Depending on the TDS content of the water in your area, this may recur if the water is allowed to dry by itself on the vehicle , especially if warm or sunny.

Solutions to counter this in the future are;
1) drying with a clean towel as soon as a section is washed and cleaned.
2) spray -on waxes
3) DI water (can get expensive), especially if TDS levels are quite high.

Edit; this can happen regardless of coating.

Last edited by X519; 02-05-2020 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: Additional info
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 11:27 AM   #12
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X519 View Post
Depending on the TDS content of the water in your area, this may recur if the water is allowed to dry by itself on the vehicle , especially if warm or sunny.

Solutions to counter this in the future are;
1) drying with a clean towel as soon as a section is washed and cleaned.
2) spray -on waxes
3) DI water (can get expensive), especially if TDS levels are quite high.

Edit; this can happen regardless of coating.
Agree with all you say. I was curious if spots were under or over the ceramic coating. I have to assume over the coating as I imagine they would have to remove the coating to remove water spots underneath.
Appreciate 0