E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > PCV CrankCase Breather and CrankShaft OutLet Camshaft Sensor Price

01-22-2020, 10:57 PM   #1
JessiV909
Rep
Drives: 2006 Bmw 325i

Garage List
2006 Bmw E90  [0.00]
PCV CrankCase Breather and CrankShaft OutLet Camshaft Sensor Price

What's a Reasonable price to change the PCV CrankCase Breather and CrankShaft OutLet Camshaft Sensor. Parts and Labor just curious on a bmw 2006 325i?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 11:48 AM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessiV909 View Post
What's a Reasonable price to change the PCV CrankCase Breather and CrankShaft OutLet Camshaft Sensor. Parts and Labor just curious on a bmw 2006 325i?
Your description of parts/components above does NOT match my concept of BMW systems on the 325i.
1) I am NOT aware of any component called "the PCV Crankcase Breather." There is a "Breather Heater" beneath the Intake Manifold which is subject of a recall, and if THAT is defective a Dealer should replace it at NO CHARGE to you.
2) The "Crankshaft" is a major engine component, replacement of which would require engine removal and disassembly. There is a "Crankshaft Sensor" which senses crankshaft position and engine speed, and part price is ~ $45 to $85, but labor to replace is several hours due to its location and things required to be removed to gain access.
3) The "Outlet (Exhaust) Camshaft Sensor" part price is ~ $50 and ANYONE (including yourself ;-) could easily change that in 30 minutes or less, as it is on the top-front of the engine.

From the questions asked, my SWAG is that you have experienced some performance issues or warning lights with your vehicle, and SOMEONE has told you that you need certain parts replaced. There is an apparent LACK of proper understanding, either on YOUR part, or that of the "Someone" who gave you advice.

I would suggest: BEFORE you have ANYTHING done on your vehicle, or spend ANY more money on either parts or labor, that you post here:
1) What performance symptoms or warning lights your vehicle shows;
2) When those began, and what maintenance or repairs had been done to the vehicle immediately BEFORE the issue began;
3) What Fault Codes or other Fault Details did YOU or YOUR SHOP read with any Scan Tool or Software?
4) If you have an Invoice or Statement from any shop that shows any Diagnostic Information (Customer complaints, Fault Codes, Tests Conducted & Results, etc.) please attach a scan of any such Invoice.

Reason I suggest getting a "2nd opinion" from the forum is that it appears that either you and/or your shop do not correctly understand the issue, and re-evaluation is appropriate, or at least proper explanation to you.

George
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 04:41 PM   #3
AngelFarelli
Second Lieutenant
Abu Dhabi
Rep
Drives: BMW n52 e90

Camshaft position sensor $48 easy DIY
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...or-s119445001z

Crankshaft position sensor $68 not sure about DIY
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...or-s119044012z