BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-16-2020, 07:25 PM   #1
Koturbo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

BootMod3 initial impressions

I had the pleasure of working with Julio at BM3 the last few days as I purchased and flashed the s58 OTS stage 1 map onto my X3MC, and I can’t say enough good things! I’m from the old school, where tuning was either done mechanically, or via a chip into the ECU, and this is my first flash tune, so you can imagine my anxiety around this process with my brand new X3MC. Julio was excellent, and was very patient as we worked through the process which was very easy and straightforward.

After installing the map this evening, and driving the car for a while, I can offer a few observations. Note, I was in Sport Plus across the board with MDM, and shift point 2.

First and foremost, the car is CONSIDERABLY more powerful. The +100whp claim seems reasonable from the ”seat of the pants” dyno, but only getting the car on an actual dyno would confirm, which I’m highly unlikely to do.

Secondly, the car has a more “guttural” sound and feel in full Sport Plus mode, and the shifts definitely feel more pronounced, possibly because the exhaust pressure under gear change creates a much louder POP than before.

Lastly, and maybe my favorite part of the tune is that the power curve feels so much smoother. It gets right down to brass tacks when you flat foot it, and pulls hard and smooth all the way to redline. I know there has been much discussion around the lag from a stop. I did not get an opportunity to launch from a stop so I’ll have to report back on that later, but overall, I’m very impressed, and can’t wait to see what’s next from BM3.

NK
Appreciate 1
moff1362.50
      01-16-2020, 08:17 PM   #2
ek21
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

That's good to hear! Might do it on mine as well! Enjoy
      01-16-2020, 10:50 PM   #3
bulwhip
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Any Pricing and special install info?

Sounds cool.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 06:36 AM   #4
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Any concerns about BMW finding out at a service tune when you flash back to stock?

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 06:40 AM   #5
Koturbo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
Any concerns about BMW finding out at a service tune when you flash back to stock?
I’d say it’s a mild concern. I’ll flash back to stock and lock the DME for service, but I feel that my dealer is very cool, and they deal with a bunch of “car guys” that I know tune their vehicles, so I don’t foresee any significant issue. I also don’t plan to beat on the car, so I don’t foresee any issues as a result of the tune.
Appreciate 1
moff1362.50
      01-17-2020, 08:51 AM   #6
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

What are the downsides to this tune?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 03:54 PM   #7
kjb914
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2020 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
What are the downsides to this tune?
The downside to almost any tune is if you break something and need something big warranted. I was talking to a buddy who is a BMW tech - there's no getting around them finding out if they want to. Regardless - I'll be flashing mine soon I don't beat on my cars either so I'll be praying everything stays safe. Anyone find intakes for it yet???
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 05:42 PM   #8
GT500R
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjb914 View Post
The downside to almost any tune is if you break something and need something big warranted. I was talking to a buddy who is a BMW tech - there's no getting around them finding out if they want to. Regardless - I'll be flashing mine soon I don't beat on my cars either so I'll be praying everything stays safe. Anyone find intakes for it yet???
Agree on two points.

1. BMW will find out something was messed with the tune, piggyback or flash regardless.

2. I mean this is a forged engine with 4 years of engineering put into place before it was even released... and B58 was proven pretty well so?
10.6@130 Dragy / +820 DA The Streets |
NOW: Tesla Model Y Performance
Appreciate 0