BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-16-2020, 04:14 PM   #1
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

M50i Tune / Downpipes / Intake / Exhaust???

I am kind of surprised seeing a lack of threats about any performance upgrades for the M50i? I assume a lot of us bought it for that engine. An intake will really help us to hear the sound of those turbos spooling and give HP gains. Downpipes should be worth good horsepower and give a nice turbo spool from the rear of the vehicle. I am SURE a tune will be worth solid hp.

Can anyone tell of their experience with any of these mods? List who is making parts for the car? I am VERY interested in intake and tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 04:55 PM   #2
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1653343 vinnymac is planning review as well, check that thread out.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 07:45 PM   #3
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll View Post
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1653343 vinnymac is planning review as well, check that thread out.
I believe that is a 40i though? Different engines, so the tunes should act very differently.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 12:52 AM   #4
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130FeetDeep View Post
I believe that is a 40i though? Different engines, so the tunes should act very differently.
Yeah but still would be good to get his feedback on reliability, performance, consistency, any issues etc. at least that's what I'm thinking, so many ads promise so much.

I hear you though, I have no doubt they will be coming out soon, from what I heard this is the same V8 as another in BMWs line up so I expect as the volume picks up more parts will be created / developed.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 10:21 AM   #5
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah but still would be good to get his feedback on reliability, performance, consistency, any issues etc. at least that's what I'm thinking, so many ads promise so much.

I hear you though, I have no doubt they will be coming out soon, from what I heard this is the same V8 as another in BMWs line up so I expect as the volume picks up more parts will be created / developed.
Even a simple intake will sell like crazy. I don’t understand why we aren’t seeing anything yet?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 10:59 AM   #6
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

The M50i is brand new for 2020.... and while it shares the engine from the previous year's m850i.... the intake system is completely different.

I've looked.... trust me.

I've bought a few "first year" cars over the years.... the ones that come to mind were my 2006 WRX (first year for 2.5L).... a 2016 340i (first year for B58 engine)... and now, the M50i.

Realistically.... it will be late 2020 by the time we see anything intake/exhaust related. But.... the Chinese will flood the market first with garbage products with no R&D done... so don't be tempted to jump as soon as you see something.

K&N is generally very quick.... 6 months or so. As soon as I pick up my car, I'm going to accurately measure the filter, and see if K&N has another one of the same size. If not, I expect them to release something soon anyway.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2020, 04:03 PM   #7
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
The M50i is brand new for 2020.... and while it shares the engine from the previous year's m850i.... the intake system is completely different.

I've looked.... trust me.

I've bought a few "first year" cars over the years.... the ones that come to mind were my 2006 WRX (first year for 2.5L).... a 2016 340i (first year for B58 engine)... and now, the M50i.

Realistically.... it will be late 2020 by the time we see anything intake/exhaust related. But.... the Chinese will flood the market first with garbage products with no R&D done... so don't be tempted to jump as soon as you see something.

K&N is generally very quick.... 6 months or so. As soon as I pick up my car, I'm going to accurately measure the filter, and see if K&N has another one of the same size. If not, I expect them to release something soon anyway.
I would prefer a legit intake versus drop ins. Do you know of any companies that have expressed interest? I have no issue test fitting if there is interest. I am been modding cars for decades.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 05:39 PM   #8
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would prefer a legit intake versus drop ins. Do you know of any companies that have expressed interest? I have no issue test fitting if there is interest. I am been modding cars for decades.
What's the difference? Wouldn't they all be drop ins?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 08:08 PM   #9
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What's the difference? Wouldn't they all be drop ins?
Drop ins use the stock air box. You keep all the factory restrictions, but just get marginally better air flow versus paper filters. Most would prefer a whole new intake with larger surface area on the filters and less restriction on the pipes for MAX power.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 05:43 PM   #10
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Drop ins use the stock air box. You keep all the factory restrictions, but just get marginally better air flow versus paper filters. Most would prefer a whole new intake with larger surface area on the filters and less restriction on the pipes for MAX power.
Got it that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 11:11 AM   #11
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

If (and that is a big IF) an aftermarket company makes an intake system.... you have to be careful that the intake is actually BETTER than the stock intake.

If you notice, the stock airboxes are mounted to the sides of the engine (vs the m850i's that are mounted near the front of the car).... and they are fed through tubes running to the front of the car, fed by cool air.

With many (poorly designed) aftermarket intakes.... they use a "generic" tube, with a high-flow cone filter.... but that cone filter (while it does flow better) is now sucking in hot air from under the hood, instead of cold air from outside. In many instances.... they can cause a CEL because the MAF sensor is reading the incoming air temperature as too hot.

Hence, completely negating... or even worsening, your performance.

A properly designed intake will cost a considerable amount more than a Chinese quickie.... but it will also perform better than stock.

Most chinese quickies "sound cooler" (which is why kids buy them)... but the performance is actually worse.

If an appropriate one is designed.... I'll consider it. Until then, I've always trusted K&N. You'll see a moderate improvement in performance, and there is always the ability to clean it without replacing it.

K&N offers a "slightly" better solution over stock..... until a suitable intake is designed.

I GUARANTEE you that the first ones that start popping up on ebay over the next couple months..... are not worth buying.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 07:28 PM   #12
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If (and that is a big IF) an aftermarket company makes an intake system.... you have to be careful that the intake is actually BETTER than the stock intake.

If you notice, the stock airboxes are mounted to the sides of the engine (vs the m850i's that are mounted near the front of the car).... and they are fed through tubes running to the front of the car, fed by cool air.

With many (poorly designed) aftermarket intakes.... they use a "generic" tube, with a high-flow cone filter.... but that cone filter (while it does flow better) is now sucking in hot air from under the hood, instead of cold air from outside. In many instances.... they can cause a CEL because the MAF sensor is reading the incoming air temperature as too hot.

Hence, completely negating... or even worsening, your performance.

A properly designed intake will cost a considerable amount more than a Chinese quickie.... but it will also perform better than stock.

Most chinese quickies "sound cooler" (which is why kids buy them)... but the performance is actually worse.

If an appropriate one is designed.... I'll consider it. Until then, I've always trusted K&N. You'll see a moderate improvement in performance, and there is always the ability to clean it without replacing it.

K&N offers a "slightly" better solution over stock..... until a suitable intake is designed.

I GUARANTEE you that the first ones that start popping up on ebay over the next couple months..... are not worth buying.
I think you underestimate the intelligence of the modding community. Logging IAT is remedial to do with CAN parameters. Any product put out will be tested immediately by the community by simply logging the IAT channel stock versus aftermarket. Even if IAT rise, we can simply log timing advance to see if it affects a thing. Most times the minor IAT rise causes no timing retard.

The old “hot air intake” has been proven over and over to be rubbish. Keeping the intake piping short more often than not increases responsiveness of the car that is more valuable than any minor IAT increase. I have hundreds of logs to prove it.

I will say this, I will not ever out an eBay intake on my vehicle. I am talking legit aftermarket companies.

Remember, you have a lot of N63, N55, and N54 modders in this community with massive experience tuning and logging BMWs.
Appreciate 1
LexxM31697.50
      01-20-2020, 03:02 AM   #13
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:

Remember, you have a lot of N63, N55, and N54 modders in this community with massive experience tuning and logging BMWs.
And..... we have a lot with no experience whatsoever, which is why I posted what I did. In fact, the OP wasn't aware of the difference between an intake and a K&N drop-in..... now he is.

The point of this forum to to provide and share information to those that don't know.... not to create a medium for those that do know, to argue with one another.
6-Piston X5M Big Brake Kit:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1779038
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 09:00 AM   #14
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

Disappointingly though, there seems to be very limited demand for performance mods for the X5. Most just seem interested in things like the glass hardware...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 09:44 AM   #15
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post
Disappointingly though, there seems to be very limited demand for performance mods for the X5. Most just seem interested in things like the glass hardware...
I think the M50i changes that. A lot of car guys still want power and an SUV for the space. This seems like a great platform.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 06:12 PM   #16
ntnjholdings
Rep

Would an M850i tune work? The map has to be very similar. I also want a tune ASAP for my M50i and it is the principal reason I bought it over other options.

As of now, I see no M50i tunes on the market. I am far less concerned about the intake and or exhaust. Downpipes would likely be the next chokepoint not intake or exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 07:51 PM   #17
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntnjholdings View Post
Would an M850i tune work? The map has to be very similar. I also want a tune ASAP for my M50i and it is the principal reason I bought it over other options.

As of now, I see no M50i tunes on the market. I am far less concerned about the intake and or exhaust. Downpipes would likely be the next chokepoint not intake or exhaust.
Similar, but I am not sure the same. The load may be different because of vehicle weight too. Without logging, it is hard to say.

You and I are in the same boat. This engine made this vehicle extremely interested in the truck.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 09:50 PM   #18
ntnjholdings
Rep

It looks like most reputable tuning shops can just do a non-piggy back tune pretty easy.

It seems a lot of guys are also replacing the resonator/cats for a louder exhaust and more flow.

This engine should easily be able to make 750+ at the crank if it can breath.

Im trying to get back to my tuned RS7 typer power.

Ultimately, I will probably just drop it off at a reputable tuning shop and let them swing for the fences.

NT
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 02:37 AM   #19
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntnjholdings View Post

Yes, there are tunes. There's the Racechip guys that advertise right here on the forum..... and Burger Motorsports also has the JB4 for the M50i. In fact, I even talked to them about it. It's still in "Beta" mode, but so was the one I bought for my 340i when it was new, because the B58 engine was in it's first year.

Either way... that's good for at least 50 hp..... probably more as they fine-tune it and provides updates and new maps.

Or.... get it professionally dynotuned. As soon as I get to 10k miles and 2 oil changes.... I'm bringing my M50i up to BRPerformance Near Antwerp (I'm an American living in Belgium)..... and they have already tuned 1 M50i.... and were able to get 680hp, and 850 Nm torque.

Now... I know you aren't in Belgium... but there are tuners in the US... just gotta find one.

These guys have facilities in Dubai, Netherlands, Belgium, and a few others I believe. Good guys... already spoken with them several times. If they can do it... so can other places:

https://www.br-performance.be/en-be/...51-xdrive-m50i
6-Piston X5M Big Brake Kit:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1779038
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 12:00 PM   #20
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, there are tunes. There's the Racechip guys that advertise right here on the forum..... and Burger Motorsports also has the JB4 for the M50i. In fact, I even talked to them about it. It's still in "Beta" mode, but so was the one I bought for my 340i when it was new, because the B58 engine was in it's first year.

Either way... that's good for at least 50 hp..... probably more as they fine-tune it and provides updates and new maps.

Or.... get it professionally dynotuned. As soon as I get to 10k miles and 2 oil changes.... I'm bringing my M50i up to BRPerformance Near Antwerp (I'm an American living in Belgium)..... and they have already tuned 1 M50i.... and were able to get 680hp, and 850 Nm torque.

Now... I know you aren't in Belgium... but there are tuners in the US... just gotta find one.

These guys have facilities in Dubai, Netherlands, Belgium, and a few others I believe. Good guys... already spoken with them several times. If they can do it... so can other places:

Try living on an island in the Pacific....
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 03:12 PM   #21
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Both of those you mention above are piggies. A lot of guys would prefer to avoid the piggy solution if a flash can be done. I have read that some are bench flashing, but not customer held flashing devices. We need some of us to pursue this to get more info.

Terry from BMS is good. He has been turning the N54+ for a LONG time now. I am sure he can extract solid HP, but probably needs a test mule that is close to him or will provide him with a lot of logs.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 02:29 PM   #22
Tim2189
Russian in a Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:

I think we all need to have a party once you finally get your car! haha
What is the update with that?
2018 X5 40e - retired
2020 X5 M50i - Current
Appreciate 0