F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > F30/F32/F33 Classifieds (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Members Classifieds > Tools / Garage Supplies > WTB: BMW Diff Axle Shaft Removal Tool 83300495851 (Device 335120)
Extreme Powerhouse

01-16-2020, 04:48 AM   #1
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Arrow WTB: BMW Diff Axle Shaft Removal Tool 83300495851 (Device 335120)

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
Sold

Item Interest
Looking to buy (or rent) the BMW Diff Axle Shaft Removal Tool 83300495851 (Device 335120) for a MDiff swap

Will buy outright or rent for my install - for rental I would pay fee + shipping both ways, return to owner after my install...

Not gonna do this install any old mickey mouse way using prybars & the like

PM me if you have one available

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 01:13 PM   #2
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Looking to buy (or rent) the BMW Diff Axle Shaft Removal Tool 83300495851 (Device 335120) for a MDiff swap

Will buy outright or rent for my install - for rental I would pay fee + shipping both ways, return to owner after my install...

Not gonna do this install any old mickey mouse way using prybars & the like

PM me if you have one available

Attached is a list of BMW specialty tool makers from Bentley manual. I didn't spot it on Baum website. You may want to call these sources in case they haven't updated it on their website.

Also check AmazonUK website. I've found better than US prices there before and there is no VAT tax when shipping from UK to US. Also Amazon seemed to have cheap/fast shipping to US for Amazon Prime members.

You didn't mention the 50mm open wrench needed to remove and install the main driveshaft nut. I've seen that open wrench head advertised for like $75. Bryan at Kies Motorsports showed me a much less expensive motorcycle wrench that he found. Either way I'd add about a 2-foot long piece of plumping metal pipe from Lowe's/Home Depot to be like a breaker bar handle to provide a lot of torque that's needed.

I'm sure you've been researching installation procedure. Here are a couple of things from my installation that may be helpful...

One step that doesn't seem to be commonly known is at the end. The main 50mm nut on the new LSD has a factory lock-tite type substance that has something like a 20 minute working time (can't find my notes for exact time) once that you start torquing it down.

Then you should remove the fill plug while it is on the lift to make sure that the LSD really has been filled completely at the factory and that some hasn't leaked out which is common.

Make sure to use the very specific LSD fluid. See photo for the fluid that was specified to me for MP LSD for F30 xDrive automatic model. Was told not to use stock rear differential fluid or some fluid touted as "smoother running" since both will screw up guts of MP LSD.

I replaced the stock LSD fill plug with a Dimple magnetic plug as extra protection. It's the same size as stock rear differential fill plug.

Breaking period is 700 miles where no Wide Open Throttle runs. Try to do a lot of smooth accelerations on left and right curves. Suction out fluid at 1,200 miles and replace. Mine didn't need to be topped off so I had fluid ready for 1,200 replacement.

The last thing that's supposed to be done is to drop lift down to the floor. Leave car sitting for several hours before driving since the lock-tite type of material needs a couple hours to properly setup.

Good luck! I noticed the LSD immediately when I first started to turn the wheel onto a highway on-ramp. Never realized how much rear wheel slip I had until it was gone! BMW electronic systems kick in above 30% slippage to either apply one or more rear brakes or cutting throttle. But the mechanical LSD kicks in immediately to apply power to the rear wheel that isn't slipping. So you really notice the responsiveness entering and accelerating into a curve. Also notice it a lot at a standing start when a light turns green.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
1QuikWS61615.50
      01-16-2020, 04:15 PM   #3
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Yes, I already have the specialty wrench & correct diff fluid

Thanx for the tips + list of possible suppliers

I know ECSTuning/Turner sell the tool, just not looking to pay $465 for (1) time use

I'm still kicking myself - found one on ebay couple months ago for BIN $200 shipped and I forgot about it till I got the notice it was sold

I was gonna have my local Indy that I use all the time do the install, said they could do it for <$500. But later when I showed them a pic of the tool & asked if they had it - the answer was No

I'm thinking they have only experience changing diff in E9x series where the axles are simply bolted on. Why BMW chose to change from this proven design is beyond me...

Last edited by 1QuikWS6; 01-16-2020 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 05:02 PM   #4
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Yes, I already have the specialty wrench & correct diff fluid

Thanx for the tips + list of possible suppliers

I know ECSTuning/Turner sell the tool, just not looking to pay $465 for (1) time use

I'm still kicking myself - found one on ebay couple months ago for BIN $200 shipped and I forgot about it till I got the notice it was sold

I was gonna have my local Indy that I use all the time do the install, said they could do it for <$500. But later when I showed them a pic of the tool & asked if they had it - the answer was No

I'm thinking they have only experience changing diff in E9x series where the axles are simply bolted on. Why BMW chose to change from this proven design is beyond me...
I think that the BMW decision to change the half-shaft design all has to do with weight. Weighs a lot more for the extra flanges and bolts but that circlip weighs nothing.

VW used to use some FWD half shafts that had flanges that bolted on so they were easy to get off the car. But on the bench, to remove the CV joints they used similar circlips that fit into a groove.

Smart to ask your Indy about the specialty tools. My Indy also got surprised when he began my installation. I was lucky that he was smart and experienced enough to stop everything, research the issue and make arrangements to borrow the tools from another mechanic.

It took a couple extra days but I'm glad that he was so professional and explained it to me accurately. A friend of mine wasn't so lucky and his Indy kept going, tried to rig some tools and ultimately destroyed his LSD. Caused him a huge hassle and needless to say he's never going there again.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 02:36 PM   #5
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

I have had this listed for quite a while. It's sitting in my basement.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1368801
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 08:05 AM   #6
Blocke
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
I have had this listed for quite a while. It's sitting in my basement.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1368801
PM’d you
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 04:18 PM   #7
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
No longer needed - found a different shop that had all the OEM tools
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 09:12 AM   #8
jjjccc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw f30 335i sedan

i need to change pinion seal on 335i 2014 sedan 3.0L rwd F30. it looks to be a large flange nut that needs to be loosened. its a huge star flange nut at the differential to change pinion seal. will this 83300495851 get that off?
Appreciate 0