BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)    Initial Waxing

01-10-2020, 03:14 PM   #1
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Initial Waxing

Received a call from our CA informing us our vehicle is in production. I discussed with him prep work done prior to delivery which basically consists of washing. I asked for quote to wax.

Does anyone know if waxing is ok for vehicles painted only weeks ago? I know previously this was not recommended however I trust paint technology has improved since then. Other than waxing, any other suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 07:03 PM   #2
jmcmathortho
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2016 M4 Vert

I have used ZAINO on all my BMW's. It is simply the best car wash and polishing products available. I was skeptical at first but I have used their car wash for 6 years, All in one polish, Z-5 polish with hardener, clear seal, and finishing sprays for in between washes, tire shine, and glass polish (amazing how it cleans water stained glass with just hand polishing), leather cleaner makes your car smell showroom new!. If you used nothing but their car wash you would be happy. My wife just got a new X5 M50i a week ago and when the weather gets warmer in a week I will apply the AIO polish no additional wax needed.
Appreciate 1
RVAGuy166.00
      01-21-2020, 07:10 PM   #3
polychromatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E44, E61, E07

Normally you would want to allow the paint to cure a bit before waxing. This is old school, and I don’t know how that applies to the new waterborne finishes, but I’m not going to wax for 3 months, at least.
Appreciate 1
RVAGuy166.00
      01-21-2020, 07:38 PM   #4
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by polychromatic View Post
Normally you would want to allow the paint to cure a bit before waxing. This is old school, and I don’t know how that applies to the new waterborne finishes, but I’m not going to wax for 3 months, at least.
3 months without wax protection strikes me as a long time to wait. I’ll ask around with others to confirm and advise their recommendation.
Thanks for your perspective.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 07:41 PM   #5
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcmathortho View Post
I have used ZAINO on all my BMW's. It is simply the best car wash and polishing products available. I was skeptical at first but I have used their car wash for 6 years, All in one polish, Z-5 polish with hardener, clear seal, and finishing sprays for in between washes, tire shine, and glass polish (amazing how it cleans water stained glass with just hand polishing), leather cleaner makes your car smell showroom new!. If you used nothing but their car wash you would be happy. My wife just got a new X5 M50i a week ago and when the weather gets warmer in a week I will apply the AIO polish no additional wax needed.
I’ve also heard good things about Zaino from others I respect. My preference is to use best products available if I am going to invest my time and effort. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 09:00 PM   #6
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by polychromatic View Post
From several sources I’ve found, the consensus was to wax a new car paint as soon as possible after taking delivery. Paint from the factory is cured before delivery.

For newly painted panels from a body shop, it was recommended to wait 30-90 days before waxing.

I plan to wash, clay if necessary and wax my new car within a week of taking delivery or as soon as temp hits 50.

Thanks again for your feedback.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 07:37 PM   #7
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Zaino is good but you need to get out more if you think it's the best available.

Yes I'd apply protection immediately. I'd hope you wouldn't have to clay given the timing but be ready to just in case. Personally, I wouldn't apply wax anymore unless it was a garage queen that's barely driven. There are so many good options from polymer sealants to ceramic coatings.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 08:25 PM   #8
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post
Zaino is good but you need to get out more if you think it's the best available.

Yes I'd apply protection immediately. I'd hope you wouldn't have to clay given the timing but be ready to just in case. Personally, I wouldn't apply wax anymore unless it was a garage queen that's barely driven. There are so many good options from polymer sealants to ceramic coatings.
I’m assuming I won’t need to clay however I’ve seen photos of vehicles recently delivered to western US that were very dirty. I’m not familiar with Zaino personally but I know others that use.

Both our cars are garaged and total miles driven between the two approximate 7.5K annually. I enjoy working on the cars having turned it into a hobby. I can do on my own schedule and I know the cars will look great when I’m done. Actually waxing takes up a small percentage of my time vs biweekly washing and interior maintenance.
Thanks for your comments.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 04:13 PM   #9
DNGRTOM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90, G05 M50i, 991.1 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAGuy View Post
I’m assuming I won’t need to clay however I’ve seen photos of vehicles recently delivered to western US that were very dirty. I’m not familiar with Zaino personally but I know others that use.

Both our cars are garaged and total miles driven between the two approximate 7.5K annually. I enjoy working on the cars having turned it into a hobby. I can do on my own schedule and I know the cars will look great when I’m done. Actually waxing takes up a small percentage of my time vs biweekly washing and interior maintenance.
Thanks for your comments.
you will need to clay.
i tried to get around it, i did a strip wash followed by a chemical decontamination and the paint just wasn't feeling right.
after i clayed it (speedster mitt), there was a world of difference in the paint feel.
Appreciate 1
RVAGuy166.00
      01-23-2020, 04:26 PM   #10
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNGRTOM View Post
you will need to clay.
i tried to get around it, i did a strip wash followed by a chemical decontamination and the paint just wasn't feeling right.
after i clayed it (speedster mitt), there was a world of difference in the paint feel.
No sure how they get to Colorado but from pictures I’ve seen looks like on back of wagon train. Conversely, deliveries here on east coast appear somewhat “cleaner”.
I enjoy the cleaning process so hope for a day with temps above 60. Thanks to guidance from others on this site decided to have dealer remove protective film so paint can be examined but not wash or do any exterior work. Will keep in garage until I can work on it.
How do you like speedster mitt?
Thanks for your your feedback.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 05:08 PM   #11
DNGRTOM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90, G05 M50i, 991.1 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAGuy View Post
No sure how they get to Colorado but from pictures I’ve seen looks like on back of wagon train. Conversely, deliveries here on east coast appear somewhat “cleaner”.
I enjoy the cleaning process so hope for a day with temps above 60. Thanks to guidance from others on this site decided to have dealer remove protective film so paint can be examined but not wash or do any exterior work. Will keep in garage until I can work on it.
How do you like speedster mitt?
Thanks for your your feedback.
A clay mitt is way better than a bar; more ergonomic and if you drop it you just need to rinse it off. you have to be careful of not letting the clay side dry on itself (because it will stick together) but that's about it. using the mitt, you can cover more area faster; it makes claying even this SUV a pretty quick deal.
Yes, mine was transported from CA on an open trailer, through the mountains...but it was on a train to the dealer before that. I'm sure it picked up some contaminants on the trip from CA to Denver but I'd bet the train ride is responsible for most of them.

Also - I mistyped, I have the nanoskin clay mitt: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 1
RVAGuy166.00