BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-09-2020, 12:55 PM   #1
M2CLBB437M
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

‘Interesting’ EVO review of X3M

Here https://www.evo.co.uk/bmw/x3/202087/...-wrong-package
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 01:11 PM   #2
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

They just slag it off . Wan*ers.
      01-09-2020, 01:40 PM   #3
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

It's almost a cut and paste of the Top Gear review last year. So strange how the UK reviewers have been by far the most critical of the harsh ride. Hell it's Doug DeMuro's favorite sporty compact SUV and he's not a hardcore performance guy and didn't whine about the ride. Sometimes you just can't win with journalists as if it had body roll and was on the soft side they would destroy it for being soft. If it had a compliant ride but handling was not as good as the competition they would say the competition is better. The reality is that they delivery an SUV that does .97g on the skid pad (better than the GLC63 S and Stelvio Quad) and they complain it's too harsh. So the best performing SUV of it's segment comes with the firmest ride. Seems pretty logical to me. I realize that this is not the best sporty SUV for everyone but for those that want an SUV that handles like an M car and defies the law of SUV physics (as stated by Car & Driver) this is it.

Last edited by heavyD^2; 01-09-2020 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
JensM63.50
      01-09-2020, 02:23 PM   #4
MRichmond
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR, e60 M5, e36 IP

The usefulness of magazine and internet reviews is greatly diminished when anyone considering a purchase can go test drive this car and all competitors. Make your own decisions, folks!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 02:41 PM   #5
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2CLBB437M View Post
Why are your posts just negative?

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 03:11 PM   #6
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

A lot of UK car reviews done as part of an overseas launch in Germany, Portugal or whatever will make mention of them liking it there but aren't sure how it will handle UK roads. Then after the car goes into normal production will test it again in the UK and talk about what it is like on their narrow bumpy roads, sometimes the overall opinion of the UK reviewers changes quite a bit between their overseas test and their UK test
      01-09-2020, 03:32 PM   #7
Carmicro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: T

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
A lot of UK car reviews done as part of an overseas launch in Germany, Portugal or whatever will make mention of them liking it there but aren't sure how it will handle UK roads. Then after the car goes into normal production will test it again in the UK and talk about what it is like on their narrow bumpy roads, sometimes the overall opinion of the UK reviewers changes quite a bit between their overseas test and their UK test
I agree. On open expansive roads like motorways etc this car is great in UK stick it on pot holed narrow lanes then you will feel it. Depends on where the reviewer has tested and then where they test in UK. Saying that the x3mc rides fine here and I’ve not needed to put a cushion in my head yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 04:00 PM   #8
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Oh noes.. I guess I'll have to return it ASAP.

A lot of US press was fairly negative on the F80 and I thoroughly enjoy that car. Everyone's entitled to their opinion I guess.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 04:09 PM   #9
MMJD
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 YAS BLUE

Joe wrote it.....
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 04:48 PM   #10
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep
Drives: 635/1815, X3M Comp

Thanks for this. I've been enlightened.

Putting in an order for a Macan Turbo. Trading it in when the Macan arrives.
Appreciate 1
arube138.50
      01-09-2020, 05:35 PM   #11
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
Remove the BMW badge, put Range Rover instead and the brit reviewers will absolutely love every part of this car. German reviewers have the same problem btw.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 06:19 PM   #12
arube1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: audi s5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Remove the BMW badge, put Range Rover instead and the brit reviewers will absolutely love every part of this car. German reviewers have the same problem btw.
I don’t know about that...there is a pretty strong consensus that the ride is stiff...I don’t think they are making that up...many on here can attest how firm the ride is. In my opinion , based on my two test drives , the ride is bumpy and stiff....not as horrific as many of the reviewers claim but pretty stiff..that’s fine , I just think there should be a true “comfort” option on the car for those times when we want a smoother less jarring ride.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 06:45 PM   #13
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arube1 View Post
I don’t know about that...there is a pretty strong consensus that the ride is stiff...I don’t think they are making that up...many on here can attest how firm the ride is. In my opinion , based on my two test drives , the ride is bumpy and stiff....not as horrific as many of the reviewers claim but pretty stiff..that’s fine , I just think there should be a true “comfort” option on the car for those times when we want a smoother less jarring ride.
I agree about the firm ride. I am more talking about the numb handling, dull powertrain remarks of this review. It also states that "X3 M feels remote and unmanageable, while in damp conditions you’re reminded that this is a very rear-biased SUV, spitting you sideways without any forewarning on big throttle applications – something that’s only accentuated by the numb steering." That is just completely ridiculous. Everybody who owns this vehicle will agree with me. It also says "The brakes lack progression, and the outright stopping power feels a little undernourished considering the X3 M’s straight-line performance." That is not that other braking tests showed (you know... the ones that actually provide test results). In summary, this review is complete trash. Sorry. Just my honest opinion.
Appreciate 1
arube138.50
      01-09-2020, 07:30 PM   #14
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
I agree about the firm ride. I am more talking about the numb handling, dull powertrain remarks of this review. It also states that "X3 M feels remote and unmanageable, while in damp conditions you’re reminded that this is a very rear-biased SUV, spitting you sideways without any forewarning on big throttle applications – something that’s only accentuated by the numb steering." That is just completely ridiculous. Everybody who owns this vehicle will agree with me. It also says "The brakes lack progression, and the outright stopping power feels a little undernourished considering the X3 M’s straight-line performance." That is not that other braking tests showed (you know... the ones that actually provide test results). In summary, this review is complete trash. Sorry. Just my honest opinion.
Yeah, these are the amateur reviews where they basically just drive it around a bit, mix in the price and specs from the manufacturer and give an opinion. They didn’t test it for themselves and gather any data.

ZF8 is great in the Alfa Romeo but meh in the X3M?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 12:12 AM   #15
M2CLBB437M
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

I don’t really understand why we have to be so blind that we can’t concur with parts of the review and not with other.

First up: I’m super happy with the car. It’s perfect wit what I use it for. But that doesn’t mean it’s perfect.

The ride doesn’t bother me that much, unlike that reviewer. I agree that the engine is a little characterless and it will be interesting to see how it translates into the M3/4. And the handling is a little bit intert. And the gearbox isn’t perfect in auto. But hey, that doesn’t mean I don’t like it or care if there’s a less than great review or makes me feel I need to call the reviewer a w***er or feel my masculinity has been dented.
Appreciate 2
arube138.50
      01-10-2020, 03:40 AM   #16
Carmicro
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don’t really understand why we have to be so blind that we can’t concur with parts of the review and not with other.

First up: I’m super happy with the car. It’s perfect wit what I use it for. But that doesn’t mean it’s perfect.

The ride doesn’t bother me that much, unlike that reviewer. I agree that the engine is a little characterless and it will be interesting to see how it translates into the M3/4. And the handling is a little bit intert. And the gearbox isn’t perfect in auto. But hey, that doesn’t mean I don’t like it or care if there’s a less than great review or makes me feel I need to call the reviewer a w***er or feel my masculinity has been dented.
I agree the car is not perfect and no car I ever had was. Again depends what your comparing to. The handling for a 2 ton car is exceptional imho. The xf gearbox is good compared to the g63. I just wanted to state BMW wanted this thing to be a M car and they did not compromise on ride. Of course they knew it would be stiff and not everyone going to buy this on ride quality. The M cars I had in past have all been stiff I didn’t expect this to be different. If I could change anything it would be the looks, I’m not saying it’s ugly far from it but I think BMW missed a trick and could of made this version with slightly wider wheel arches.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 04:16 AM   #17
knepsterd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmicro View Post
Quote:

I agree the car is not perfect and no car I ever had was. Again depends what your comparing to. The handling for a 2 ton car is exceptional imho. The xf gearbox is good compared to the g63. I just wanted to state BMW wanted this thing to be a M car and they did not compromise on ride. Of course they knew it would be stiff and not everyone going to buy this on ride quality. The M cars I had in past have all been stiff I didn’t expect this to be different. If I could change anything it would be the looks, I’m not saying it’s ugly far from it but I think BMW missed a trick and could of made this version with slightly wider wheel arches.
I actually like it's sleeper look. I'm not in it to draw attention.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 04:29 AM   #18
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:

Come on though, what part of the review is there to agree with? It's so firm it drives terribly, it's got shocking handling, terrible gearbox, numb steering, lifeless engine. It's just a bad car. It's way below the Stelvio, Macan, and Jag, so far behind that it's there only to fill a niche in BMWs lineup, nothing more. That's the review.

Of all the reviews out there, only Evo and Top Gear (I'm not counting Joe on YouTube) have slated it. Most reviewers have either had it middle to top of the pack, or class leading. Most have commented on it being firm, but what you'd expect of a sporty M car. None have slated its handling or performance, nor the steering or gearbox.

I just find it an odd review. Its definitely not a perfect car, but come on, it's not the dog they describe.
Appreciate 3
knepsterd376.50
dazzapb1050.00
Wills28656.00
      01-10-2020, 06:51 AM   #19
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

I wouldn’t pay too much attention to this review. As others already said, it is clear that this one is a simple regurgitation of the top gear review. You can find many lazy reviews like this in the internet. Here is one more (canadian) example. This one favors the BMW over the Merc, but I will be the first one to admit that this review is lazy and generally off.

https://motorillustrated.com/2020-bm...parison/41394/
Appreciate 1
dazzapb1050.00
      01-10-2020, 07:35 AM   #20
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero71 View Post
Come on though, what part of the review is there to agree with? It's so firm it drives terribly, it's got shocking handling, terrible gearbox, numb steering, lifeless engine. It's just a bad car. It's way below the Stelvio, Macan, and Jag, so far behind that it's there only to fill a niche in BMWs lineup, nothing more. That's the review.

Of all the reviews out there, only Evo and Top Gear (I'm not counting Joe on YouTube) have slated it. Most reviewers have either had it middle to top of the pack, or class leading. Most have commented on it being firm, but what you'd expect of a sporty M car. None have slated its handling or performance, nor the steering or gearbox.

I just find it an odd review. Its definitely not a perfect car, but come on, it's not the dog they describe.
Just been out in mine, thought I'd watch out for the dreadful ride/engine/steering/handling basically the piss poor performance in most areas the car gives as described in the Evo review.....nope didn't notice any of it.

They basically described it as the worst car on sale today.....I actually feel proud.
      01-10-2020, 07:37 AM   #21
Carmicro
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Just been out in mine, thought I'd watch out for the dreadful ride/engine/steering/handling basically the piss poor performance in most areas the car gives as described in the Evo review.....nope didn't notice any of it.

They basically described it as the worst car on sale today.....I actually feel proud.
😂
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 09:48 AM   #22
bennyboy77
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3Msport 3.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmicro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post

😂
I also don't like the way they compare the car to the competition on price. Based on the UK deals there was absolutely nothing that came close. Both the Stelvio and GLC63 cost more. The choice was basically a M40i or X3M for roughly the same price. If you want a great car with slightly more compliant ride and better MPG take the M40i. If you want a real M car, take the X3M.

If for one love my X3M and live surrounded by B-Roads. I'm pre-RIS and based on my current blasts it is a little 'bouncy' when the family are in with me, but when I am on my own it sticks to the road, so flat round the corners and a lot of fun.

With the spec I got an M40i in either X or standard 3or4 series would have cost me more and I am dreading handing the thing back as whatever I get to replace it I am sure will cost me more money.

Bloody loving it!
Appreciate 2
dazzapb1050.00
Wills28656.00