F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Oil level sensor can't make up its mind!
proTUNING Freaks

01-08-2020, 08:36 PM   #1
plantman77
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Oil level sensor can't make up its mind!

So I went to go to the store tonight, didn't drive the car all day, start up and immediately get "Oil level too low add 1 quart". Crap I just did an oil change 1500 miles ago, no way it's that low I must have a huge leak.

I run into get the oil and though I better let the car measure it before I go adding it. After measuring it shows max level. Okay just a random error. Nope after going to the store I get the same low oil error, great. Let Idrive remeasure it and it goes away.

This has happened multiple times now. So I do doubt my oil is low and don't want to over fill it. But if the sensor was bad then wouldn't Idrive not be able to measure it correctly?

Has anyone else had a similar issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 09:18 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

When a sensor goes, or is about to go, it often will gave a false low oil reading.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 10:07 PM   #3
plantman77
Private
Rep

Alright I guess I'll just keep an eye on it for now. Car is really giving me some anxiety over here ha
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 10:37 PM   #4
F30_Rodrigues
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp930 View Post
So I went to go to the store tonight, didn't drive the car all day, start up and immediately get "Oil level too low add 1 quart". Crap I just did an oil change 1500 miles ago, no way it's that low I must have a huge leak.

I run into get the oil and though I better let the car measure it before I go adding it. After measuring it shows max level. Okay just a random error. Nope after going to the store I get the same low oil error, great. Let Idrive remeasure it and it goes away.

This has happened multiple times now. So I do doubt my oil is low and don't want to over fill it. But if the sensor was bad then wouldn't Idrive not be able to measure it correctly?

I had the same problem with my 320D 2013. It couldn't decide if it was to the max or empty. Toke it back to the garage where I purchased it and I found out the oil sensor was dead. Had new oil sensor and never had an issue again with it. Just don't add oil if it says it's low, make sure you get the oil out and see how many litters there is inside. That's how I had to do it
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 11:34 AM   #5
plantman77
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30_Rodrigues View Post
I had the same problem with my 320D 2013. It couldn't decide if it was to the max or empty. Toke it back to the garage where I purchased it and I found out the oil sensor was dead. Had new oil sensor and never had an issue again with it. Just don't add oil if it says it's low, make sure you get the oil out and see how many litters there is inside. That's how I had to do it
Well it did it 3 times in a row last night with about a half hr in between. When I drove to work today it was no problem.

I can swap the sensor out if it continues to be a problem. Glad I didn't just add oil not too good for the car to be over filled either.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 11:42 AM   #6
F30_Rodrigues
Rep

Yeah it happen to me the same. Every time I turned the car off and back on and Re mesure the oil, it would go back to normal. But time to time it kept on popping back up. Had the sensor changed and didn't happen anymore. If I was you I would change the sensor because it will keep on giving you false reading and that means that you'll never know the oil level
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 01:44 PM   #7
zeyad.habeeb
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i GC

Quote:

It happened with me where the service due changed from 8000 miles to 400 miles.

Oil level measure in active/ not working.

Reason was a rat ate the oil sensor wiring socket.

Changed the socket and everything is fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 02:42 PM   #8
plantman77
Private
Rep

Damn this sensor is over $200 come on now. Guess I'll wait till it act up again and try to get it replaced before the warranty is up in June. Waiting for them to tell me the tune caused it ha.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 03:07 PM   #9
F30_Rodrigues
Rep

Quote:
Damn this sensor is over $200 come on now. Guess I'll wait till it act up again and try to get it replaced before the warranty is up in June. Waiting for them to tell me the tune caused it ha.
Yeah I know. I used my warranty to get this one as only had the car for a few months before this happened and it cost them £250 to get it done
Appreciate 0