BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-04-2020, 03:26 PM   #1
mojojojo231
Mojo
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC

Any thoughts?

Hey guys just got my x3mc in mid nov and have about 2300 miles on the car. Did a proper break in and service and love it!

Found these fluids near the lights any ideas what it might be?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 07:12 PM   #2
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Looks like someone drove through a huge puddle (rust/mustard colored) and it splashed up around that area.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 08:20 PM   #3
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Looks more like that rust protection coating that gets applied at the factory. It has that oily sheen to it in some spots.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 02:01 AM   #4
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
Looks more like that rust protection coating that gets applied at the factory. It has that oily sheen to it in some spots.
thats what i first thought but in the UK its a whiter colour - if its on both sides of the car and even under the door sills, then that is what it will be.

If its local to one side, something else going on
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 09:43 AM   #5
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojojojo231 View Post
Hey guys just got my x3mc in mid nov and have about 2300 miles on the car. Did a proper break in and service and love it! Found these fluids near the lights any ideas what it might be?
As I was finishing up an overnight trickle charge with the hood open thought I'd share an image taken from each of our X3MC in the same region. I don't see any actual free fluid droplets anywhere, but the same rust-colored areas are present, and look to be part of the corrosion-protection I would think. If you hadn't been driving in wet conditions and you found engine compartment free fluid droplets, it might be worth checking with your Service Advisor for their thoughts on a possible source (can't tell from your image if actual liquid is there or if you're just referring to the rust-colored stains).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 10:08 AM   #6
mojojojo231
Mojo
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojojojo231 View Post
Hey guys just got my x3mc in mid nov and have about 2300 miles on the car. Did a proper break in and service and love it! Found these fluids near the lights any ideas what it might be?
As I was finishing up an overnight trickle charge with the hood open thought I'd share an image taken from each of our X3MC in the same region. I don't see any actual free fluid droplets anywhere, but the same rust-colored areas are present, and look to be part of the corrosion-protection I would think. If you hadn't been driving in wet conditions and you found engine compartment free fluid droplets, it might be worth checking with your Service Advisor for their thoughts on a possible source (can't tell from your image if actual liquid is there or if you're just referring to the rust-colored stains).
Thanks you guys for helping triage! Ya I was driving pretty hard in some wet conditions. This makes some sense now.
Appreciate 0