BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-02-2020, 12:08 PM   #1
Dogmatic6
Rep
Drives: BMW X4M Competition

Question Why purchase GAP insurance within the first 12 months

Hi all,

I’m trying to figure out why you would purchase GAP insurance during the first 12 months of ownership?

My insurer Admiral will replace with a brand new car if needed in the first 12 months.

BMW tried to sell GAP to me and stated I would need to buy within the first couple of months of ownership? I checked and you can purchase GAP insurance from multiple insurers after the initial 12 month cover your insurer provides.

Am I missing something?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 12:29 PM   #2
RustyBitz
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic6 View Post
Hi all,

I’m trying to figure out why you would purchase GAP insurance during the first 12 months of ownership?

My insurer Admiral will replace with a brand new car if needed in the first 12 months.

BMW tried to sell GAP to me and stated I would need to buy within the first couple of months of ownership? I checked and you can purchase GAP insurance from multiple insurers after the initial 12 month cover your insurer provides.

Am I missing something?

Cheers
I'm the same as you with admiral, the pain in the arse comes after 12 months and your in a 47 month PCP deal.

You need to take PCP within 90 days of collection (I think) to get replacement vehicle plus with ALA. I'm happy to be corrected though.

Mine cost £352.53 for four years cover with replacement vehicle plus. I have had one claim 8 years ago where my car was written off and gap came to the rescue.

[url=https://www.deutschespeed.com/threads/the-bimmerpost-refugee-thread.561/]Car[/url]
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 03:18 PM   #3
Dogmatic6
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBitz View Post
I'm the same as you with admiral, the pain in the arse comes after 12 months and your in a 47 month PCP deal.

You need to take PCP within 90 days of collection (I think) to get replacement vehicle plus with ALA. I'm happy to be corrected though.

Mine cost £352.53 for four years cover with replacement vehicle plus. I have had one claim 8 years ago where my car was written off and gap came to the rescue.
Hi, thanks for the reply!

I checked ALA and they let you take out the GAP policy 365 days after collection.....if your car insurance covered you for the first 12 months!

I will definitely purchase GAP but only towards the end of my first 12 months so will be looking for 3yrs GAP.

I think there is also a discount code for ALA through moneysavingexpert forum.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 04:00 PM   #4
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Quote:
Quote:

I checked ALA and they let you take out the GAP policy 365 days after collection.....if your car insurance covered you for the first 12 months!

I will definitely purchase GAP but only towards the end of my first 12 months so will be looking for 3yrs GAP.

Quote:
Quote:

I have taken out a policy out with admiral for 880 or so.

Well spotted there mate on ALA. Only thing is that it's back to invoice for cars up to 365 days old not vehicle replacement GAP which might or might not be an issue works out to be around 260 for 50k cover.

As you noted if you use MSE25 I can get 4 year replacement. on invoice price of 59K for 350.

Might just swallow the 90 quid and get it done just incase!
Appreciate 3
      01-03-2020, 02:35 AM   #5
x3mcomp
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hi all,

Am I missing something?

Cheers
I could be wrong but I think with ALA you can only get the Vehicle Replacement Plus cover within the first 90 days and anytime after that up to 365 days you can get the Invoice cover. So I guess it really depends on the level of cover you want. As others have said it's around £350 for 4 years with ALA.
Appreciate 3
      01-03-2020, 04:26 AM   #6
Dogmatic6
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3mcomp View Post
I could be wrong but I think with ALA you can only get the Vehicle Replacement Plus cover within the first 90 days and anytime after that up to 365 days you can get the Invoice cover. So I guess it really depends on the level of cover you want. As others have said it's around £350 for 4 years with ALA.
Hi,

Yes that’s what I seemed to have missed. Vehicle replacement vs invoice cover.
Will have a think about that!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 07:29 AM   #7
worsy
Private First Class
Wales
Rep
Drives: BSM G80 due Sept 1st!

Check your insurance policy as many won't pay full value unless car is owned by the policy holder (as in not on PCP/HP).
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 07:45 AM   #8
Dogmatic6
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by worsy View Post
Check your insurance policy as many won't pay full value unless car is owned by the policy holder (as in not on PCP/HP).
That’s a good point! Wording of my policy below. It only mentions registered keeper.

New car replacement: If your vehicle is 12 months old or less, you are the first registered keeper and it is written off or stolen and unrecovered we will replace it with one of the same make, model and specification if available in the UK or pay the market value at the time of the loss.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 08:05 AM   #9
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

For admiral I quoted the invoice price too re: value. If that's the price I'm paying then that's what it's worth
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 08:36 AM   #10
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by worsy View Post
If you buy on PCP or HP you are the owner but its a conditional sale ie if you dont keep up payments they can repossess. However, its your name on the log book - you are the registered keeper.

Different with a lease....
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 09:18 AM   #11
worsy
Private First Class
Wales
Rep
Drives: BSM G80 due Sept 1st!

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
If you buy on PCP or HP you are the owner but its a conditional sale ie if you dont keep up payments they can repossess. However, its your name on the log book - you are the registered keeper.

Different with a lease....
Agreed, however I have had insurance in the past that explicitly excluded pcp purchases. It was with NFU and I just checked their current wording which now allows it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 11:29 AM   #12
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

GAP insurance is meant to cover the difference between an insurance payment for a totaled vehicle and what is owed on a loan (i.e. it insures against negative equity). The first 12 months is probably the most important time for this type of insurance as your vehicle is worth considerably less the second you drive it off of the dealer lot.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 11:43 AM   #13
daltonvaas
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC (on order)

I'm thinking of adding this now, does anyone have a GAP company to recommend? I remember there was a thread where one company came up a lot but I can't find it anymore.....
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 12:22 PM   #14
RustyBitz
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltonvaas View Post
I'm thinking of adding this now, does anyone have a GAP company to recommend? I remember there was a thread where one company came up a lot but I can't find it anymore.....
ALA

[url=https://www.deutschespeed.com/threads/the-bimmerpost-refugee-thread.561/]Car[/url]
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 12:45 PM   #15
x3mcomp
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltonvaas View Post
ALA
+1

Code MSE25 gets you 25% off to bring it down to £350.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 12:53 PM   #16
Dogmatic6
Rep

Quote:
+1

Code MSE25 gets you 25% off to bring it down to £350.

Yes ALA with the 25% code seems to be a great deal.

I will probably go ahead and purchase now instead of waiting 12 months. I guess initially I just didn’t see the value in taking GAP for the first 12 months when my car insurance would replace with a brand new car.

I didn’t appreciate the difference between vehicle replacement vs back to invoice cover.

ALA only provide back to invoice cover if I wait 12 months before taking a policy out with them.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 01:55 PM   #17
Jimmyjones654
Rep
Drives: X3M & M4

Sorry to jump in but what are you guys going for GAP or RTI and are you putting the actual value eg the amount you paid or the list price ?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 02:11 AM   #18
x3mcomp
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyjones654 View Post
Sorry to jump in but what are you guys going for GAP or RTI and are you putting the actual value eg the amount you paid or the list price ?
I've gone for Vehicle Replacement Plus with ALA. You have to take off delivery, registration any discounts as they are not covered.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 05:52 AM   #19
X3M40i_Nev
Straight Six Convert
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
2018 Mini JCW  [10.00]
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyjones654 View Post
I've gone for Vehicle Replacement Plus with ALA. You have to take off delivery, registration any discounts as they are not covered.
+1 on ALA and VRP 👍
      01-09-2020, 12:48 AM   #20
Rukburd
Rep
Drives: X4 M Comp

Hi all

Picked up my x4 mc yesterday. I received the hard sell from the dealer about GAP insurance, I did do a fair amount of research prior about if GAP was needed if your fully comp with Admiral. As suggested here, I think it’s not needed for the first 12 months. I did call Admiral CS and BMWFS, admiral was just reading out the policy but couldn’t provide a yes or no answer, bmwfs was more helpful. All they would require is to give Admiral authoritarian to the finance account if the worst was to happen.

The people getting the 350ish quotes with ala, are you inputting the OTR price or the invoice price? I cannot get close to that figure at all.

Rich
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 01:44 AM   #21
x3mcomp
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukburd View Post
Hi all

Picked up my x4 mc yesterday. I received the hard sell from the dealer about GAP insurance, I did do a fair amount of research prior about if GAP was needed if your fully comp with Admiral. As suggested here, I think it’s not needed for the first 12 months. I did call Admiral CS and BMWFS, admiral was just reading out the policy but couldn’t provide a yes or no answer, bmwfs was more helpful. All they would require is to give Admiral authoritarian to the finance account if the worst was to happen.

The people getting the 350ish quotes with ala, are you inputting the OTR price or the invoice price? I cannot get close to that figure at all.

Rich
You need to put the price you actually paid, the invoice price. Take off any discounts and bits they don't cover and then use the 25% code I've posted before.

ALA if you are reading this I will happily accept a sponsorship
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 07:09 AM   #22
Shadowdemon1
Private
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition, X2 20d xdrive

ALA probably has the biggest exposure to X3/4/M depreciation in the UK gap market :O
Appreciate 0