BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-01-2020, 10:18 AM   #1
ThomasJefferson
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M competition

Key for 2020 X3MC w/ executive package??

Hey guys,
Just picked up a new 2020 X3MC w/ executive package yesterday. Great car so far, will post pics soon..

Anyone know if it should’ve come with that fancy key with screen? I saw some YouTubers with one, but dealer didn’t give me the option and made no mention + I totally forgot to ask. It came with two standard bimmer keys with M stripes.

Happy new year!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 10:21 AM   #2
SWOT1
The Hammock Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC, X3 M40i, E93 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJefferson View Post
Hey guys,
Just picked up a new 2020 X3MC w/ executive package yesterday. Great car so far, will post pics soon..

Anyone know if it should’ve come with that fancy key with screen? I saw some YouTubers with one, but dealer didn’t give me the option and made no mention + I totally forgot to ask. It came with two standard bimmer keys with M stripes.

Happy new year!
Not in the US

- '20 X3MC | Alpine White | Black Alcantara/Midrand Beige | loaded | 295/265 PS4S
- '09 E93 M3 | Alpine White | Bamboo Beige Novillo | DCT | loaded | Chrome M220 Wheels - 275/255 PSS
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 07:07 AM   #3
csh212
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJefferson View Post
Hey guys,

Happy new year!
You don't want that screen key. Reviews are underwhelming.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 11:35 AM   #4
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Display key is standard in Canada on Competition models. It's kind of redundant if you have the BMW Connected App. I'm not even using it because it doesn't have a keychain cut-out which IMO is a bit of an oversight. I think the only real advantage of it is the remote parking feature.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 11:56 AM   #5
Carmicro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: T

Had the display key on my last car it’s ok.. for a quick look to see if your doors are locked etc but it’s bulky and adds nothing that the apps already has. I think in the UK it’s a option for about £200.
Appreciate 1
noushy1657.00
      01-04-2020, 04:23 PM   #6
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Display key is standard in Canada on Competition models. It's kind of redundant if you have the BMW Connected App. I'm not even using it because it doesn't have a keychain cut-out which IMO is a bit of an oversight. I think the only real advantage of it is the remote parking feature.
Except we don't have remote park on our cars...

The display key is also more of a novelty or conversation piece. Once you get over that it stays in a drawer at home... For me the novelty wore off after about a month.

I did like the range tho. 900feet ish to get a quick glance status report.

Also if you power off the key, the hard buttons still work. So you can toss in a drawer and come back to it a year+ later and still use it without needing to charge it first.
Appreciate 0