E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > N52 small oil leak

12-31-2019, 11:46 AM   #1
amarredz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 328xi

N52 small oil leak

I was looking at my engine bay and noticed that my oil filter gasket has started to leak a little bit but then noticed oil around the vanos solonoids and I can't figure out where it is coming from I don't think it's the valve cover since it's lower but idk, any help would be great
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 11:52 AM   #2
amarredz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Also the valve cover gasket looks brand new as well as the bolts, I'm not sure if the oil could be residue from a previous valve cover leak or if it's something new and the car does not leak any oil
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 12:13 PM   #3
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M2 6MT

Looks like a typical oil filter housing gasket leak to me. The oil runs down and follows the casting lines on the block and can get to some weird areas.

Since you know for certain that the OFHG is leaking, replace that, clean off the oil as best you can, and keep an eye out for further leaks.

The valve cover usually leaks on the left side of the engine (the lowest side where the oil collects internally). I don't think its very common for a valve cover to leak on the front, further reinforcing the idea that this is just a simple OFHG leak.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 12:16 PM   #4
amarredz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joester View Post
Looks like a typical oil filter housing gasket leak to me. The oil runs down and follows the casting lines on the block and can get to some weird areas.

Since you know for certain that the OFHG is leaking, replace that, clean off the oil as best you can, and keep an eye out for further leaks.

The valve cover usually leaks on the left side of the engine (the lowest side where the oil collects internally). I don't think its very common for a valve cover to leak on the front, further reinforcing the idea that this is just a simple OFHG leak.

Good luck!
Thanks so much for clearing that up, it was on a weird area so I wasn't sure.

The oil filter housing gasket looks like it just started leaking but I'm not sure if it has started leaking onto the belt, do you think I should change the belt as well?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 12:20 PM   #5
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarredz View Post

The oil filter housing gasket looks like it just started leaking but I'm not sure if it has started leaking onto the belt, do you think I should change the belt as well?
Given the cheap cost of a new belt, and the catastrophic consequences of a belt slipping off the crank and being ingested by the engine, I would say definitely.

If you inspect the belt and find no oil on it, I personally would feel comfortable running the belt regardless, but if the belt is old and due for a replacement you might as well replace it while you're in there. New belt is probably like $20.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8221.00
      12-31-2019, 12:42 PM   #6
amarredz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joester View Post
Quote:

Given the cheap cost of a new belt, and the catastrophic consequences of a belt slipping off the crank and being ingested by the engine, I would say definitely.

If you inspect the belt and find no oil on it, I personally would feel comfortable running the belt regardless, but if the belt is old and due for a replacement you might as well replace it while you're in there. New belt is probably like $20.
Belt looks pretty much new, no stains or anything on it but it was squeaking this morning, which led me to find the oil filter housing leaking
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 06:22 PM   #7
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

pull the belt off.
clean the whole front of the engine.
put belt on.
find oil leak.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 08:05 AM   #8
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Belt looks pretty much new, no stains or anything on it but it was squeaking this morning, which led me to find the oil filter housing leaking
If the belt was squeaking and you already know you have the OFH leak then I would replace the belt. The belt doesn’t normally squeak, so it’s telling you something is unusual with it. And you know you have THE single oil leak which causes shredded belts and engine failures.

Be smart about this, fix your OFH leak and then spring $20 for a belt which is much cheaper than buying a new motor.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 08:07 AM   #9
amarredz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Quote:
If the belt was squeaking and you already know you have the OFH leak then I would replace the belt. The belt doesn’t normally squeak, so it’s telling you something is unusual with it. And you have an oil leak.

Be smart about this, $20 for a belt is much cheaper than buying a new motor.
Ye I'm gonna order the parts today and get it changed ASAP, OFHG is no joke on our engines
Appreciate 1
Biginboca3763.50
      01-01-2020, 08:11 AM   #10
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

the continental kit is like $80.
consider doing the whole thing with tensioner and idler.
Appreciate 0