BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Ok-- my head exploded. A little tire/spacer fitment help?

12-29-2019, 07:28 PM   #1
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Ok-- my head exploded. A little tire/spacer fitment help?

I've been reading here for *hours* in preparation for a "My car's on order" parts binge and am now more confused than ever.

Hopefully, this'll be an easy question:

2020 M2C with *stock* suspension (NO plans to lower, go coilovers, etc).

Will 10MM front & rear spacers combined with (F) 255/35/19 and (R) 275/35/19 fit with NO ISSUES?

i.e. no rubbing on the body, plastic shields or strut? (Not even a little bit).

I'm looking at going +1 (eventually) on the front/rear tires, and am thinking about picking up IDS's "Essential" kit (front/rear reflector delete, wheel spacers, and bolts).

If this is a poor setup, then I won't waste the money on the spacers.

Conversely, am I better off just going 255/275 with NO spacers? From what I've read, the 255/275 is a "safe" fitment of tires?

I +1'd (245/275) my old e46 M3 and really liked the handling-- and when I test drove the M2C, it was a bit more tail-happy than I'd like, so I'm thinking a bit more rubber might not go amiss.

Normally, I'd wait and drive it a while, but I need to get the reflector delete sorted before delivery so I can paint correct, ceramic coat and PPF as soon as the car's delivered. Which makes a difference on the IDS stuff.

TIA--

R.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 09:05 PM   #2
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
I've been reading here for *hours* in preparation for a "My car's on order" parts binge and am now more confused than ever.

Hopefully, this'll be an easy question:

2020 M2C with *stock* suspension (NO plans to lower, go coilovers, etc).

Will 10MM front & rear spacers combined with (F) 255/35/19 and (R) 275/35/19 fit with NO ISSUES?

i.e. no rubbing on the body, plastic shields or strut? (Not even a little bit).

I'm looking at going +1 (eventually) on the front/rear tires, and am thinking about picking up IDS's "Essential" kit (front/rear reflector delete, wheel spacers, and bolts).

If this is a poor setup, then I won't waste the money on the spacers.

Conversely, am I better off just going 255/275 with NO spacers? From what I've read, the 255/275 is a "safe" fitment of tires?

I +1'd (245/275) my old e46 M3 and really liked the handling-- and when I test drove the M2C, it was a bit more tail-happy than I'd like, so I'm thinking a bit more rubber might not go amiss.

Normally, I'd wait and drive it a while, but I need to get the reflector delete sorted before delivery so I can paint correct, ceramic coat and PPF as soon as the car's delivered. Which makes a difference on the IDS stuff.

TIA--

R.
Think you mean IND not IDS. The 10mm spacers all around are IMO a bit aggressive as is. The reason they don't offer a thinner spacer offset is because you lose the hub centric lip on any spacer below 10mm which is not recommended and not safe. Going up a size in tires and using 10mm spacers will make the tires stick past the fender/QP, you will likely rub either on full suspension articulation, when turning the wheel full lock, or both. If you're not lowering the car I'd say just go up one size wider on tires, it should give you the offset you're looking for without any rubbing.
Appreciate 1
flybigjet6868.50
      12-29-2019, 09:26 PM   #3
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
The reason they don't offer a thinner spacer offset is because you lose the hub centric lip on any spacer below 10mm which is not recommended and not safe.
That was years ago. Some do a thinner spacer and still hub centric. For example

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...7-m2/?pdk=AgQC
JayHT4.00
      12-29-2019, 09:41 PM   #4
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Whoops. Sorry.

IND, yes.

IDS is my PPF go-to and I had them on the brain.

So, it appears that the best answer is just to go with the 255/275 combo and call it a day. I do NOT want the tire to stick past the rim.

Maybe I'll order some PS4S's in those sizes and sell the stock rubber as a "take-off" when the car comes in.

Assuming there's a market for brand-new take off 245/265's.

Thanks guys--

R.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 10:17 PM   #5
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
That was years ago. Some do a thinner spacer and still hub centric. For example

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...7-m2/?pdk=AgQC
I searched for something like this over a year ago without any luck. Not sure how I missed these, good to know.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 01:06 AM   #6
Vulpe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Garage List
I think I've seen people go with 10mm in front and still be fine which is surprising.

Going 255/35 seems to be fine, I've seen someone on here do it

But both? Definitely not. I took a look at the stock clearance on mine and man is it close and full lock. It's like this on both sides.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
flybigjet6868.50
MR RIZK757.50
Tag18305.50