BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-23-2019, 11:57 PM   #1
M2CLBB437M
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Drivelogic shift settings

1000 miles in and still not clear on the gearbox ‘drivelogic’ settings (particularly vs the engine/throttle configuration). I’ve only had manuals before, so forgive me. In a manual M car things are 25% simpler.

I get that the engine/throttle changes throttle response etc BUT it also changes the point at which the car shifts.

BUT - the purpose of the D1/D2/D3 button on the gear stick is less clear. I get it IF it did what everyone says which is to control the speed or ‘aggressiveness’ of the shift - but it also seems to do (in part) what the throttle configuration button does by changing the point (revs) at which the cat shifts.

Can anyone charity exactly what it does and what the overlap is with the throttle configuration setting?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 05:44 AM   #2
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

D1/2/3 increases the speed shift and also the mapping of when the gearbox changes up/down and how you can control that change with your right foot. Lift off in D1 and the gearbox will change up lift off in D2 it'll hold on to the gear and eventually change up in D3 the same but it holds on for longer.

Having the car in D1 and sport+ throttle gives you more response for every mm of throttle travel so that will translate into a gearbox that is keener to drop a cog than if you were in efficiency, to get the same response you'd have to press the throttle more.

In the S55 the Efficiency/Sport/Sport+ settings did more than just adjust throttle response there was a Q&A piece on it in the F80 forum as there were changes to the drivetrain's torque dampening and the turbo waste gates etc...not sure about the new set up.
      12-24-2019, 09:11 AM   #3
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

^What Wills said.

D1/2/3 will change gearbox shift aggressiveness transmission behavior only. The engine button will change throttle response (among other engine parameters) but will not change the transmission behavior. However, as Wills said, you can get the perception of the transmission behaving more aggressively in sport/sport+ mode since a smaller throttle input will result in greater acceleration and increasing the likelihood of dropping down a gear or two.

I suggest playing around with it more and the differences will become clear. Start by driving in sport+ engine setting and D1 for a while until you are used to the behavior. Then keep it in sport+ but move to D2 and D3 and you will notice the difference in transmission behavior.
Appreciate 2
Wills28656.00
heavyD^23688.50
      12-25-2019, 06:21 PM   #4
dunny247
dunny
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f80 m3 frozen black

All i know is in a f80 m3 the 3rd setting was all out aggression and the car came alive. Was the mental setting. Still running in the x3m so not sure its the same as its zf and not dct but im hoping its the same.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 06:44 PM   #5
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunny247 View Post
All i know is in a f80 m3 the 3rd setting was all out aggression and the car came alive. Was the mental setting. Still running in the x3m so not sure its the same as its zf and not dct but im hoping its the same.
Haven't driven the X3M but I don't think it will be quite the same as the F8x with the DCT. On shift setting 3 the DCT is basically no lift shifting and dumping the clutch going into the next gear which gives the sensation of it banging hard and launching into the next gear. Not sure if the zf can replicate that exactly.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 09:38 PM   #6
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Quote:
Haven't driven the X3M but I don't think it will be quite the same as the F8x with the DCT. On shift setting 3 the DCT is basically no lift shifting and dumping the clutch going into the next gear which gives the sensation of it banging hard and launching into the next gear. Not sure if the zf can replicate that exactly.
You would be surprised. The 8 spd ZF has the same kick.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 09:55 PM   #7
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
You do get the hard shove but only in D3 and with full throttle. Otherwise, the ZF shifts in X3M are extremely smooth and efficient. It is definitely one of the factors that make this car “deceptively quick”. It surprised me a bit, because in X3 M40i in Sport+ mode the ZF is much more jerky and aggro, more like dual clutch.
Appreciate 1
gatorfast4997.50
      12-26-2019, 04:23 AM   #8
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
I found the jolt they engineered into the MDCT in setting 3 to be annoying as it would often trigger the DSC holding the car back, I could never understand why they would do such a thing as the car didn't have the traction to cope at WOT with those changes unless the road was billiard table smooth and it was a hot day.
      12-26-2019, 05:21 AM   #9
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I found the jolt they engineered into the MDCT in setting 3 to be annoying as it would often trigger the DSC holding the car back, I could never understand why they would do such a thing as the car didn't have the traction to cope at WOT with those changes unless the road was billiard table smooth and it was a hot day.
Put her into 4 wheel sport with mdm off and it'll allow that little bit of slip without reducing power.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 05:58 AM   #10
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrItaly View Post
Put her into 4 wheel sport with mdm off and it'll allow that little bit of slip without reducing power.
Sure but I was talking about the F80 M3 and the DCT box though.
      12-26-2019, 06:47 AM   #11
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Sure but I was talking about the F80 M3 and the DCT box though.
My bad
Appreciate 1
Wills28656.00
      12-26-2019, 07:11 AM   #12
M2CLBB437M
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Thanks All. Having the RIS tomorrow so can then play properly.
Appreciate 0