BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-22-2019, 05:54 AM   #1
bennyboy77
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3Msport 3.0d

Ghost - Worth it? / BMW FS and Insurance

Obviously I will go and ask myself when I get chance, but wondered if anyone has had a Ghost fitted? Recommend it or do people not believe it's worth it?

They seem to be reversible but I assume you still need to get permission from BMWFS?

Do you need to inform your insurance company? I.e. Is a Ghost classed as a modification?

Not expecting much if any reduction in insurance but just wondered if anyone has been through the process of having a Ghost installed?

I guess my secondary concern is if the thieves are persistent/really want the car then in some ways it's easier to just let them have it hence reduce any potential home invasion/threats/violence etc....

Decent cars are often taken from my area and trying to judge if I want to make it easy for them so no family/danger or make it hard for them. CCTV doesn't appear to put them off and from the looks of the videos they always seem organised and tend to have either gone for keys on display I.e smash and grab or used gadgets on keyless cars.

I'm hoping that even in the criminal world there is a recognition in the difference between stealing a car by stealth vs. Violence.

Anyway, back to original question, Ghost install have many done it, is it recommended?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 06:32 AM   #2
RustyBitz
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
Definitely worth it, I have it on my 340i. Will have it installed on the X3M day after collection.

[url=https://www.deutschespeed.com/threads/the-bimmerpost-refugee-thread.561/]Car[/url]
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 01:45 PM   #3
doomsday runner
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Comp & 335d M Sport

I have Autowatch Ghost fitted to my X4M and 335D now, also had it fitted to my last cars (M4, 435D, 335DGT). BMW are fully aware I fitted Ghost to all my cars since I had a 335d stolen in 2016. I have never had any issues with Stratston's.
      12-22-2019, 02:35 PM   #4
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Hi guys what’s the approx damage for getting one of these? Does it double up as a tracker too? Off to do some googling. Thx
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 03:05 PM   #5
RustyBitz
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzapb View Post
Hi guys what’s the approx damage for getting one of these? Does it double up as a tracker too? Off to do some googling. Thx
£399 have a look online for a reputable installer.

Doesn't double as a tracker.

[url=https://www.deutschespeed.com/threads/the-bimmerpost-refugee-thread.561/]Car[/url]
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 03:29 PM   #6
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

I don't know a thing about ghost, but I just posted a battery powered Viasat blue tracker in the classified section if anyone is looking for a European Sattelite tracking solution. My insurance company insisted I have it, but now that I'm shipping back to the states, I don't need it anymore.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 03:44 PM   #7
RustyBitz
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrItaly View Post
I don't know a thing about ghost, but I just posted a battery powered Viasat blue tracker in the classified section if anyone is looking for a European Sattelite tracking solution. My insurance company insisted I have it, but now that I'm shipping back to the states, I don't need it anymore.
https://autowatch.co.uk/veh-sec/ghost-2-menu

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 03:50 PM   #8
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBitz View Post
Wow, didn't know a product like that even existed. Awesome that it uses existing buttons in the car and not some silly extra fob like I've seen from competitors. Thanks for educating me.
Appreciate 1
RustyBitz1573.50
      12-22-2019, 04:30 PM   #9
bennyboy77
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It's not a tracker. Unless my insurance mandated it I don't think I'd ever want a tracker as I wouldn't want the car back after the scumbags have stolen it. Why should I have to foot the bill for any future costs associated with them thrashing the car etc.... if they get it off the drive they can keep it.

This is why I'm looking at a Ghost.

Anyway thanks to those responding, think I'm going to get one fitted.

If anyone has any recommended fitters in the North West or West Yorkshire I'd appreciate it.
Appreciate 1
dazzapb1050.00
      12-22-2019, 04:54 PM   #10
RustyBitz
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyboy77 View Post
Quote:
Hi guys what's the approx damage for getting one of these? Does it double up as a tracker too? Off to do some googling. Thx
It's not a tracker. Unless my insurance mandated it I don't think I'd ever want a tracker as I wouldn't want the car back after the scumbags have stolen it. Why should I have to foot the bill for any future costs associated with them thrashing the car etc.... if they get it off the drive they can keep it.

This is why I'm looking at a Ghost.

Anyway thanks to those responding, think I'm going to get one fitted.

If anyone has any recommended fitters in the North West or West Yorkshire I'd appreciate it.
https://www.sasmobile.co.uk

Mark at SAS done my 340i. He's based in Yorkshire but drove over to me. He's shut until the 3rd but drop him a message.

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 08:47 AM   #11
RustyBitz
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday runner View Post
I have Autowatch Ghost fitted to my X4M and 335D now, also had it fitted to my last cars (M4, 435D, 335DGT). BMW are fully aware I fitted Ghost to all my cars since I had a 335d stolen in 2016. I have never had any issues with Stratston's.
Hey,

Did you take the ghost off in old cars? My installer is on holiday until Jan and collecting new car Saturday.

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 09:35 AM   #12
bennyboy77
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBitz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday runner View Post
Hey,

Did you take the ghost off in old cars? My installer is on holiday until Jan and collecting new car Saturday.
So I spoke to my insurance (Admiral) they don't actually need informing, makes no difference to the policy but they will put a note on.

For BMWFS they originally said no but I explained it can be removed and they said as long as the car is returned to original/stock it's fine.

I will get that back in writing but will book it in for the New Year.

Thanks for the responses and help.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 11:42 AM   #13
doomsday runner
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Comp & 335d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyboy77 View Post
So I spoke to my insurance (Admiral) they don't actually need informing, makes no difference to the policy but they will put a note on.

For BMWFS they originally said no but I explained it can be removed and they said as long as the car is returned to original/stock it's fine.

I will get that back in writing but will book it in for the New Year.

Thanks for the responses and help.
Its will not cause any detriment to the car, its a simple job on a BMW.
      12-23-2019, 05:33 PM   #14
X3MSteve
Private
Rep
Drives: X3M

Had mine installed on day 1 of purchase. I had the same worry about home invasion for theft however that could happen without the ghost fitted too!

My main thought was for a hijack with the kids in the car, as long as you press the stop button the system re-arms after 5-10 seconds of the engine being off.

I had mine fitted at Initial Detail in Bolton who did my ceramic coat and tracker at same time.
Appreciate 1
RustyBitz1573.50