BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-20-2019, 05:23 PM   #1
CaptSlow27
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Comp

Driving Position

I am still trying to find the right driving position. I have never owned an SUV before. In cars, I generally put the seat as far down as it will go (I’m 6 foot with a long torso). Then I will extend the wheel pretty far toward me, so I have some bend on my elbows and set it so it’s about a few inches above my legs. In the X3M, I am having trouble finding a position that I feel comfortable in, so I thought I would ping the group.

On an unrelated note, I find it hilarious that this car lifts a wheel when going into some driveways!

Best,
James

Last edited by CaptSlow27; 12-20-2019 at 06:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 07:21 PM   #2
psuibmw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G06/G20/F30/F15/F10/E90

Garage List
2018 BMW 320xi  [10.00]
2023 BMW M340  [9.75]
2022 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSlow27 View Post
I am still trying to find the right driving position. I have never owned an SUV before. In cars, I generally put the seat as far down as it will go (I’m 6 foot with a long torso). Then I will extend the wheel pretty far toward me, so I have some bend on my elbows and set it so it’s about a few inches above my legs. In the X3M, I am having trouble finding a position that I feel comfortable in, so I thought I would ping the group.

On an unrelated note, I find it hilarious that this car lifts a wheel when going into some driveways!

Best,
James
What does lift a wheel mean
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 08:17 PM   #3
CaptSlow27
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuibmw View Post
What does lift a wheel mean
Like this, only different
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 09:48 PM   #4
Waterbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Not sure which seats you have, but I have an X3MC and find it helpful to have the seat back more upright than I have in other cars. I think the upper part of the seat and headrest lays too far away from the base on mine.

Also, if you slam the seat in to its lowest position you are effectively bolting it to the floor and losing most of the "suspension" that is built in to the seat base. Which makes the ride significantly more stiff. I think this is the problem with many of the reviews - they jump in the SUV, think it is a sports car so try to get as low as possible, slam the seat down, and then complain about the ride comfort.

My 2 cents.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2019, 10:03 PM   #5
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

I was having the same issue the first couple days.

I always put my seat all the way down on all my car. I am also 6ft with somewhat longer torso.

With this X3MC, I have to raise it about 1-2" from the lowest setting. Or until your eye level is a tad lower from center of the windshield vertically.
Back rest is almost straight up where it takes about 2-3" lean back to have my head touching the headrest.
Then steering wheel is about 1-2" pulled so my elbow about 100° bend.
Seat forward until my foot on the brake pedal about 100° bend.

It is pretty much semi aggressive semi alert seating position.
I have another setting which is more aggressive for track.

At first the height bothered me, because I never drove a BMW where I can see the top of the dash.
Not even in my F15 X5.

But, I am used to it now, because with this, I can see all over with a minimum blind spot and can turn and brake at split second.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 10:30 PM   #6
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

Have you ever done a bmw or cca school ? They teach u how to find the right driving position.
      12-20-2019, 10:37 PM   #7
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbelly View Post
Not sure which seats you have, but I have an X3MC and find it helpful to have the seat back more upright than I have in other cars. I think the upper part of the seat and headrest lays too far away from the base on mine.

Also, if you slam the seat in to its lowest position you are effectively bolting it to the floor and losing most of the "suspension" that is built in to the seat base. Which makes the ride significantly more stiff. I think this is the problem with many of the reviews - they jump in the SUV, think it is a sports car so try to get as low as possible, slam the seat down, and then complain about the ride comfort.

My 2 cents.
What is this mysterious “seat suspension” you mentioned? Does it really exist in X3M? I only know it from mountain bikes and motorcycles...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 01:20 AM   #8
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
I was having the same issue the first couple days.
i went through this in the F31 as well - could never get it right. I think in the end it was me that adjusted!!! X3M is similar.

At least when it does happen, the seat memory will ensure i never loose it
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      12-21-2019, 03:56 PM   #9
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

My seat is as low as it can go and my steering wheel as close as it can be. Legs not straight but in a decent position. Wrists can pretty much rest on the steering wheel. I have the recline quite upright.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 11:43 PM   #10
ScottyRyan2019
Licensed Professional Slacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 and 2023 Mazda CX-30

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [10.00]
2024 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbelly View Post

My 2 cents.
Huh?
      12-21-2019, 11:57 PM   #11
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyRyan2019 View Post
Huh?
Yeah, there is no such thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 12:04 AM   #12
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSlow27 View Post

Stiff suspension and good torsional rigidity will do that. Happens in my F80 as well...
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 04:31 AM   #13
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC

I’m still playing with mine, but I aim to have my vision in the middle of the windscreen, I expect it to be a bit high as I’m in a SUV. I may try it lower.

I’ve not settled on back angle yet - on previous cars I adjusted it until I felt like I had good support across my back, especially lumbar. The non lumbar 430 seats were more comfy that the lumbar equipped 320 seats I had before. I’m not convinced in the lumbar in the X3MC seats either. I can see me ending up more upright.

Biggest issue I have is the headrest. On the past two BMWs over 6 years, we were able to tilt the top of the front headrests forwards, so in driving position your head was supported. Having now support, only restraint, is a real step back - as a passenger my wife hates that. It’s just too far back to lean back and relax without neck strain. It’s also too tall. I’m 6’ 1” and leave the headrest in lowest setting, which is great for me and looks good, but for my wife you is around 5pm 7” it’s less than ideal, her head rests on or just above the recessed M logo. It’s like they designed these for NBA players.

I also find the seats narrow. Seat base is acceptable, though oddly I’m less comfortable as a passenger. Seat back is odd, it’s like there’s a narrow cushion running down your spine, but your sides are over a void between the seat back and the side bolsters. Overall width is fine, the bolsters don’t get in the way, aside from I find the passenger one slightly off.

Does anyone pull the seat base extender forwards? I never have, cosmetically it looks odd, but these seat bases are quite short. Is there an advantage?

Like RGSport, I pulled my wheel out an inch or so and centered it to the instrument cluster. More comfortable reach and actually much better visibility of cluster edges that were partly obscured when all the way in.
Appreciate 0