E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Poor quality Bluetooth audio, static/crackling on calls

12-20-2019, 01:43 PM   #1
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Poor quality Bluetooth audio, static/crackling on calls

I've noticed that the majority of my bluetooth calls sound terrible, just started a couple of months ago.. the audio from the speakers sounds crackly.. occasionally I'll have a call which sounds just fine, but the majority are bad. The person on the other end of the call says the call sounds bad as well.

I've tried multiple phones so I don't think its a phone issue. I also noticed that occasionally if I'm streaming bluetooth audio, the sound will get a bit distorted and crackly as well.

I did check the bluetooth antenna under the driver's side footwell and its connected properly. Deleted all phone profiles and started from scratch, etc.

Audio from the radio/CD/satellite sounds perfect.. its something specific to Bluetooth.

Anybody have any suggestions on where to go from here to troubleshoot? It's a 2012 E93 M3 so it has the Combox.

Thanks!

Edit: Looks like there are tons of people complaining about this with recent versions of iOS on their iPhones (which is what both my wife and I use).. maybe its not a BMW issue but an Apple issue.. will have to try an Android phone.

Last edited by brettcp; 12-20-2019 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 05:03 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Have you done visual on your Combox to make sure it
hasn't drowned.
If it hasn't I would try reseating the connectors.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 06:09 PM   #3
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Have you done visual on your Combox to make sure it
hasn't drowned.
If it hasn't I would try reseating the connectors.
I did inspect/re-seat them all, no signs of water etc.. Seems there are a lot of people complaining about the same thing with recent iOS versions on iPhones - will try an android phone in a few days to see if the problem still exists.
Appreciate 0