BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-16-2019, 12:51 PM   #1
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

The First 1200

My car goes in for the running in service tomorrow and I'm looking forward to some LC's and full bore launches! I've done about 700 miles in the last week so I've had plenty of time to enjoy the car.

Do I have any regrets moving from my 440i? No, not really. At first I missed the crazy cracks from the MPPSK, but now I'm used to a different type of noise. Is it quieter than an M car should be? Maybe, but I've now stuck the valves permanently open and I am really enjoying the noise, and to me it's almost a V8 rumble. The further you explore the rev range the better it sounds. I still hanker after a few more noises that the OPF's and 4 cats rob the car of.

The handling is superb for a car like this. It's so much better than the 440i and has that obvious difference that normal BMW's to M cars have. It feels connected with the road and the steering feel is really good. It's so flat through bends and roundabouts, but I've only really explored 8/10's so far. I feel the X3M hit the brief for BMW in that it's really just a higher riding M3 Touring.

When talking about handling, ride quality should be discussed and it's a contentious topic with the car. The car does not like temporary type road surfaces that are broken e.g. anti skid tarmac on country roads. It's not that it impacts handling, but the suspension booms making it quite loud. But 95% of the time it's just fine, yes it's a hard ride, but no different to any other Competition specced BMW's.

The engine also causes some contention. BMW have intentionally made the S58 a peaky engine with the fun happening near the top of the rev range, especially between 5k and 7.2k rpm. This doesn't bother me, but occasionally it is irritating if you stamp on the throttle and have to wait slightly for the engine to get to 2500rpm. Be progressive with the accelerator and this is much less of an issue. Once it's on song it's a weapon, and I really prefer to drive the car in manual when having fun. Normal driving the car is great in Efficient pootling around between 1k-2.5k rpm. Quick prod of the M1 button and it changes into Sport+ (engine) and to Manual 3 (quickest gearbox mode) and it's ready for action e.g. lights, overtake, roundabout etc.

Had a play out of some lights and drilled it with her least expecting.... I just wished I had filmed her expression. She compared it to a fairground ride. It was insane and a little violent . - my 7 year old bloody loved it.

My final point on the engine, which is maybe not too fair as it's more the overall package is the mpg. As a previous C63 owner I understand rubbish mpg, but this is not much different. Currently stat at 21 mpg average and the best I've achieved on a slow cruise control drive to Manchester was 28. If it goes over 30 I'll be shocked. Local short journeys are more like 14-17.

One thing I really love about the X3M is the interior. I've never sat in an X3 before so I can't really comment on the non M's but it's a fantastic place to sit. The seats are epic, hold you firmly in place, and similar to my 440i have great lumbar support. But the best thing about the seats is the active seat ventilation. On a long journey it's great to switch them on when you've been in the car for a while and start to feel a little clammy. It has the added benefit of pumping new car smell through the cabin too!

Build quality is fantastic too, is there another BMW that's doors close as well as these with a nice quality thud?

Problems so far? Only one, I've got a broken weld on an exhaust rattle that's causing an annoying noise, so hopefully fixed tomorrow but I'm doubting they'll have the part in stock.

Overall I am really happy and constantly thinking for a reason to go for a drive.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 4
x3mcomp177.00
JKen_0115176.50
aliwtsn46.50
      12-16-2019, 01:14 PM   #2
BOGX4M
Enlisted Member
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW X4MC X5 40d

I agree 100%!
Appreciate 2
moff1362.50
      12-16-2019, 02:00 PM   #3
Carmicro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: T

Great write up moff!. I agree on many of your comments. As for the exhaust sound I have no issue with the way it sounds like you. I’m getting to a age where pops crackles and deep rumbles that scare the life out of people are just not me now. We have a incredible well made practical vehicle that can haul a good amount of stuff that seats 5 and has the power and handling of a M car half the size. The ultimate family driving machine.
Appreciate 1
moff1362.50
      12-16-2019, 02:38 PM   #4
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmicro View Post
Great write up moff!. I agree on many of your comments. As for the exhaust sound I have no issue with the way it sounds like you. I’m getting to a age where pops crackles and deep rumbles that scare the life out of people are just not me now. We have a incredible well made practical vehicle that can haul a good amount of stuff that seats 5 and has the power and handling of a M car half the size. The ultimate family driving machine.
I just want switchable noise like with my 440i, sometimes I like to be quiet, but often I'm quite a loud mouth

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 02:59 PM   #5
daltonvaas
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC (on order)

Great write up moff, and I fully agree, the handing and ride is fine and as an M car should be, it's just the suspension/wheels that booms on bad roads which is a tiny bit annoying (I'm going to start the process of dampening soon and will let everyone know how I'm getting on)
Appreciate 1
moff1362.50
      12-16-2019, 03:52 PM   #6
M5 TT
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Great write up pretty much spot on
Appreciate 1
moff1362.50
      12-16-2019, 03:59 PM   #7
JKen_0115
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017_M2

Thanks for sharing. I'm going to pick up next Monday. I would definitely share the experience as well. Having tuned N55 M2 at same time would be a interesting combination!
Appreciate 1
moff1362.50
      12-16-2019, 06:23 PM   #8
ThumperMCS
Private
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp, MINI Cooper JCW GP

Perfect write up and spot on!
Appreciate 1
moff1362.50
      12-18-2019, 12:11 AM   #9
sayemthree