E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > please help...Combox or USB module broken?

12-13-2019, 06:01 PM   #1
washere
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93

please help...Combox or USB module broken?

I have a 2013 E93 (335i). About a week ago, I got into my car and noticed that my phone was missing from the CIC. I re-added it (it was the only one in there), and that started working again.
However, USB connection to the radio doesn't work anymore. For a couple of days I was getting power from the USB, but no data connection. Screen says "Not Connected". Then I stopped getting power too. (BT streaming works, but glitched twice at the beginning). Also of note, the fuse for the Cig lighter blew. I am not 100% sure they are related, but the timing seems to have been around the same time).
I am trying to figure out where the problem is here? Do I replace the USB module in the arm rest? The Combox? Something else?
I don't want to just start buying parts and hope for the best if I can avoid it.

A few notes:
Aux seems to work
Nothing else is complaining about anything
My combox (I think) was replaced about 2 years ago as part of the BMW Assist upgrade to LTE.

ERROR codes from my scanner on the TCU (I reset them all, they did not come back, nor did it fix the problem):
A901 Snap-in adapter (USB port): Shut down due to overloading
D690 CBX-Media: Media Oriented System Transport Ring break (this may have been me trying to remove and reseed the fibre cables).
A8EC CBX-Media Hardware Reset

Hopefully someone knows enough about all this to help me figure out what is actually wrong here.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 03:57 PM   #2
washere
Private
Rep

After a lot of effort (convertible is harder for everything...) I got the combox out.
As I suspected, it is a newer box than the original one.
the part number is 84.10-2 447 926 -01 (10/17/16 as the date). Since the car was built in Jan of 13, they did replace it at some point as part of the BMW assist upgrade.
So, assuming this device is the problem, what options do I have?

Can I get something like this actually repaired? That seems easier than buying a used one and having to code the car (or am i wrong about needing to code a new unit since i would buy the exact same one?)
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 04:37 PM   #3
washere
Private
Rep

It does not appear to be the combox. replacement installed, but problem did not go away. In fact, the replacement has some scary error codes. BT doesn't work at all on that one.
I have ordered a new USB module to see if that solves it? If not, what else could it be?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 08:13 PM   #4
washere
Private
Rep

Update:
The replacement Combox was not coded correctly. I default coded it, and everything seems to work again. So it looks like it was the combox. Never swapped the USB module.
Appreciate 0