E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > 335xi + KW v.3 = FANTASTIC

08-31-2008, 03:52 AM   #1
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

335xi + KW v.3 = FANTASTIC

Let's face it.

The stock 335xi suspension is a compromise at best, falling somewhere between the sport and stock suspension in performance, and between a sedan and SUV in ride height. I suspect it has to do with product development over at BMWburg than anything else. Xdrive is an animal engineered for an SUV and squeezed into a car than it is a autobahn performance piece. Why else would my 3 series "performance" car come with hill descent control?

I could carry on about why xDrive is nevertheless the greatest thing ever, but that's another +1,000 threads. I'm here to tell you how the KW var. 3 can transform your xi into an unbelievable ride, so pull up your chairs.

The one-size-fits-all stock suspension in our rides leaves much to be desired. There is the 4X4 ungainly ride height. Then there is worse-over-time dipsy-doodle cornering. Worst of all, however, is the nasty tendency of the front suspension (amplified by the run-flat tricycle tires) to make a minor bump feel as though you've just driven over a concrete curb.

Well I'm here to tell you that the KW v.3 is a champ. It comes stock with 4x4 look delete (and can still leave you with manageable road clearance if getting slammed is not your cup of tea), no more dipsy-doodling and you can say goodbye to the Big Bang.

Listen, you do not need to be a track or autocross king to appreciate the benefits of this upgrade. The improvement is as dramatic while driving straight ahead at school zone speeds as it is whipping your buggy hard into a corner. At once, the steering wheel feels more solid and dialed in, bumps and imperfections are handled much more comfort and aplomb than the stock suspension. At the same time, the suspension is more taut and responsive, and you feel sportier from your modestly lowered perch. If I could use only one word to describe the driving feel associated with this suspension swap it would be this: athletic. It's like having your 20 year-old gut again

There are some drawbacks. For starters, I am going to have to get my headlights re-adjusted since they are now near-lighted. Also, in pushing it hard around tight corners, the car stays nicely and controllably more even but the tires start complaining a few mph earlier. I will not be able to fully test this until winter, but I wonder if xDrive feeds off the dipsy-doodling to vector torque around because I don't feel that as much.

As for my settings, my goal was to make a good all-around performer rather than dialing it to a track. Nor did I want a low rider. I measured the stock hub to fender height and got 375 mm for the front wheels and 365 for the back. So I went with a 2 cm drop (355 front and 345 rear). At 3/4", the drop is a modest 1/4" below the stock i and should leave me with enough road clearance for winter and so forth (pictures below). I also thought it wise to keep the original rake.

For rebound and bump I went slightly softer than recommended at 9 clicks in the front and 7 in the rear (8 and 6 are recommended) and a full turn on the bump (3/4 is recommended). I thought this would make for the best all-around settings and it seems to have worked out nicely - fantastic even.

Before

After

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 04:28 AM   #2
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
Excellent discussion. The lack of rock solid feel during hard cornering is my biggest compaint about the 335xi suspension setup. My e46 330 with sports suspension was much more to my liking. It is good to hear that the violent noises arising from the wheels when hitting moderate sized bumps is largely cured with KWs.

That being said, do you see any down side switching to KWs? The only thing that has held me back to this point is the difficulty of finding a good installer and a lingering concern about adversely affecting the much heralded BMW driving dynamics. With your ringing endorsement, however, I'm thinking it's time to place an order.

Did you upgrade your sways when you added the KWs?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep

One significant downside is price. **********s was good to me but if you don't have a duty broker or a shop where these installs are second nature, you can budget another $1,000 - shipping ($150), duty, broker fees and taxes ($400) and install ($600).

As merntioned, you might hear more of a fuss out of your tires earlier, but that seems to me to be a trade between body roll and staying level. I speculated that xDrive uses the body roll to help calculate when to vector torque to the other axle but that's speculation.

The key for me re driving dynamics was to preserve the original rake and go conservative on the adjustments, height, rebound and compression. This is a highly sophisticated and quality system.

No sways for me.
      09-01-2008, 08:12 AM   #4
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Congrats. The suspension and short shft were my first mod. The original suspension is almost criminal and darn right dangerous in a sporty coupe when cornering. I'll pop mine back up to gain a little clearance for the winter.
      09-01-2008, 08:57 AM   #5
amazzzin
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I got the same suspension, I love it. Slam it a bit more
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 11:54 AM   #6
Saintor
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

I would prefer adjustability for height than damping.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 12:49 PM   #7
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep

After more time behind the wheel I just can't get over how nicely my mods are working together with the OEM parts to create an amazing driving experience.

The KWs not only removed the imperfections of the stock set up, they balanced out my Dinan tune and parts. The whole is definitely greater than its parts (quick step. shifts, high revving Dinan exhaust note, corners conquered and that turboed IL 6 laying some smack down on straight-aways - all level and in contol).

I also like how well the shock absorbers well, absorb shocks. It is a very firm ride without being harsh at all. It's actually like having your suspension cake and eating it too.

In a few months I'll let you know how they handle their biggest challange yet - a Canadian prairie winter
      09-01-2008, 04:12 PM   #8
SSM46mt
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: SSII M4 6MT

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
thank you - keep us posted

looking to do this in the spring
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 04:27 PM   #9
longodj
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
1974 VW Beetle  [0.00]
I have the V3s as well with a bit more of a track oriented setup and I absolutely love it on the street (granted it feels like I'm being beaten with a sledgehammer) but it needs some work on the track....my front's too stiff atm. Do you know what your compression settings are? Congrats on the setup! Keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 04:39 PM   #10
scooby9
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 BMW 335xi

I can't wait to get my Variant 3's too. I'll probably keep them as close to stock height as possible. I just want the improved handling and reduced "wallowy-ness" in the curves...
      09-01-2008, 06:33 PM   #11
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by longodj View Post
I have the V3s as well with a bit more of a track oriented setup and I absolutely love it on the street (granted it feels like I'm being beaten with a sledgehammer) but it needs some work on the track....my front's too stiff atm. Do you know what your compression settings are? Congrats on the setup! Keep us posted!
Hey Longdj, my compression (bump) settings are 1 full turn open for both front and back. The recommended setting for both is a 3/4 turn
open. The maximum softness is 2 revolutions, so mine are about half. You might want to play with a softer compression setting. You might loose some steering precision but gain grip (and save on dental fillings).
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby9 View Post
I can't wait to get my Variant 3's too. I'll probably keep them as close to stock height as possible. I just want the improved handling and reduced "wallowy-ness" in the curves...
Scooby, the settings I posted are close or at maximum height at least for the rear, they just aren't designed for that much height. On the plus side, I still think I have enough height to clear winter.
      09-01-2008, 07:13 PM   #12
jimmy330xi
Captain
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: '06 330xI, '04 YZF R1

I just placed my order for a set. I also have a front strut brace and I will eventually get the chasis brace. I still have mixed feelings about the sways so I will not be getting those. I can't wait to get them installed. I might go with your same settings since it looks like it worked out very well for you and I'm lookingfor the same outcome. Congrats on the mod and thanks for the useful info.

'06 330Xi, '04 CBR600RR, '04 YZF-R1, '06CBR600RR, '10 S1000RR
M-tech, Injen, Hamann, Remus, KW, Breyton
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 11:36 PM   #13
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy330xi View Post
I just placed my order for a set. I also have a front strut brace and I will eventually get the chasis brace. I still have mixed feelings about the sways so I will not be getting those. I can't wait to get them installed. I might go with your same settings since it looks like it worked out very well for you and I'm lookingfor the same outcome. Congrats on the mod and thanks for the useful info.
You're going to love them! Hopefully you won't have to wait forever to get them. Make sure you post the settings you end up going with, reasons for them, and the results. This is highly informative to anyone else contemplating getting these coilovers and another reason why this forum rocks.
      09-01-2008, 11:50 PM   #14
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi

This thread is awesome. I just got my suspension and waiting for my wheels to come in to put these on. Ill chime in with a mini review when im done.

edit: do u think the ride will feel the same if i use the same settings as you but make it lower with no wheel gap in front and back?
      09-02-2008, 12:29 AM   #15
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhaulball View Post
This thread is awesome. I just got my suspension and waiting for my wheels to come in to put these on. Ill chime in with a mini review when im done.

edit: do u think the ride will feel the same if i use the same settings as you but make it lower with no wheel gap in front and back?
Obviously lowering the car more isn't going to cause any adverse effects with the xi or you'd have already experienced them Nothing in the KW installation manual says anything about height adjustment and shock performance. I'd expect they'd be pretty much the same if you stay within their allowable height range.
      09-02-2008, 01:45 AM   #16
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

My only complaint with the stock ZSP suspension is it crashes and tends to bottom out on small bumps and thuds on road cracks. Would this fix the malady? I have to look at price because maybe I am better off living with the second rate noise and crash of the stock ZSP. But excellent review man...
      09-02-2008, 04:20 PM   #17
jimmy330xi
Captain
Puerto Rico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkplug View Post
You're going to love them! Hopefully you won't have to wait forever to get them. Make sure you post the settings you end up going with, reasons for them, and the results. This is highly informative to anyone else contemplating getting these coilovers and another reason why this forum rocks.
I got them from Sam at Auto Talent, he told me they were in stock and ready to ship. Awesome vendor, excellent customer service, great prices and answered all my questions faster than than I could think about it.
I think the coilovers will be in my mail box before I even get back to Germany, can't wait to get back to my car and install all the new goodies.

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 09:39 PM   #18
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by longodj View Post
I got to hand it to you, you have ballas for tracking your car on the stock sproings. You must be loven the new suspension though. The v3 are da bomb. The recommeded settings are just a little too soft for the track I find. I will stiffen the rear a little more (1/2 turn) and leave the front as it is. I am also pretty slammed although I also used the recommended settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby9 View Post
The transformation was night and day. When I drove the car off the lot I actally thought it was defective and brought it back to the shop asking them to fix it, only to find out that was the way it was supposed to be. You wont regreat it.

Quote:
Hey Longdj, my compression (bump) settings are 1 full turn open for both front and back. The recommended setting for both is a 3/4 turn
open. The maximum softness is 2 revolutions, so mine are about half. You might want to play with a softer compression setting. You might loose some steering precision but gain grip (and save on dental fillings).

Scooby, the settings I posted are close or at maximum height at least for the rear, they just aren't designed for that much height. On the plus side, I still think I have enough height to clear winter.
Thank for the settings Sparkplug. Did you do the adjustments yourself or work with the shop to set it up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhaulball View Post

If you slam it, you will just have a tendancy to bottom out on the fronts a little more frequently (ahhh, the good old days). The rears may rub a little depending on the tire size. The car has settled a little lower (say about another 6-7mm lower since the current picture, apparent in my sig at the end of the post)
Attached Images

09-02-2008, 09:51 PM   #19
SGxi
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
There are some drawbacks. For starters, I am going to have to get my headlights re-adjusted since they are now near-lighted.
Sorry for a noobie question, and this may not be related all-together, but does the level sensor mounted on the front and rear axles still work?

Front:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...97&hg=31&fg=05

Rear:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...37&hg=33&fg=30

Thanks!

You would be able to adjust the aim of the headlight very easily with a screw driver.
      09-03-2008, 12:58 AM   #20
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
My only complaint with the stock ZSP suspension is it crashes and tends to bottom out on small bumps and thuds on road cracks. Would this fix the malady? I have to look at price because maybe I am better off living with the second rate noise and crash of the stock ZSP. But excellent review man...
Hey Vase, consider yourself lucky. Not only do you have heaps more suspension options with the 335i (KW var 1 & 2 and Dinan Stage 1,2 or 3 to name a few) that aren't available for the xi, the xi hits rock bottom more frequently than Amy Winehouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy330xi View Post
I got them from Sam at Auto Talent, he told me they were in stock and ready to ship. Awesome vendor, excellent customer service, great prices and answered all my questions faster than than I could think about it.
I think the coilovers will be in my mail box before I even get back to Germany, can't wait to get back to my car and install all the new goodies.
And then test them proper on the Autobahn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy View Post
IThank for the settings Sparkplug. Did you do the adjustments yourself or work with the shop to set it up?
I wrote the settings I wanted on the installation guide for the installer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGxi View Post
Sorry for a noobie question, and this may not be related all-together, but does the level sensor mounted on the front and rear axles still work?

Front:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...97&hg=31&fg=05

Rear:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...37&hg=33&fg=30

Thanks!

You would be able to adjust the aim of the headlight very easily with a screw driver.
As a matter of fact this is a great question as my headlights developed severe near-sightedness after the coilovers were installed. Well thank God for this forum because I found the simple screwdriver fix you've mentioned.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6704

I would add that I had little success with the 25 ft. aiming method. Instead, I took the car to a dark road and (using the trusty BMW flashlight for illumination) adjusted them to my liking. This took quite a few reevolutions to get right. They still do the auto-level routine unabated, they're just not navel-gazing anymore.
      09-03-2008, 03:35 PM   #21
jimmy330xi
Captain
Puerto Rico
Rep

I will definately let you know how they feel at 155mph in the Autobahn, it's included in my scheduled tests for review along with some really fun twisty roads and a drive throught the Austrian Alps. Can't wait, anticipation is killing me.

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 05:13 PM   #22
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Well done Terry. That Amy Winehouse crack was nice too

I am probably on board for them next year.

Who did the work on it in the 'toon?
Appreciate 0