BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Rear facing dash cam

11-28-2019, 11:04 AM   #1
Beemerbuster
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 2.5D

Rear facing dash cam

Hi just purchased a Nextbase 522gw dash cam bundle that includes a rear facing camera. Not the cabin view plug in rear camera but one that gives a road view behind the vehicle.

Looking at possible sites for mounting the rear facing camera the easiest option would appear to be to fix the camera support bracket( magnetic mount) on the actual headlining area within the vehicle itself rather than on the rear hatch door glass. This would also appear to allow a more straightforward approach to routing the cabling to the front dash cam?

Welcome comments from anyone who has fitted a rear facing camera as to how they approached the task? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 03:51 PM   #2
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Are you sure the mount will attach to the headlining? I have a front windscreen Nextbase 312GW, which also attaches via a magnetic mount, which can only be attached to the windscreen glass. Also, are you sure, if you can mount on the headlining, that the camera won't be subject to excessive vibration, thus affecting any recording?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 03:27 PM   #3
rafro
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 F48

Hey, new here and noted this admittedly old thread! I have fitted a rear dash cam. I ran the cable under the headlining (moved the weatherstripping) to the C pillar. Ran it out through the rubber cable hose/grommit taking the demister cable out to the boot then behind the plastic trim to the rear glass.

Last bit was a bit difficult but it is possible without removing the whole C pillar.
Appreciate 0