F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > BMW 435i headlights coding. Adaptive led
proTUNING Freaks

11-19-2019, 04:47 PM   #1
Daun
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

BMW 435i headlights coding. Adaptive led

I have a BMW 435i that i imported from UK to EU now i dont want to swap out the headlights i understand i cant change the headlights pattern to rhd due to the mechnic issues. But is it possible to make the Beam pattern flat? When i swap the lights from manual to auto i can se the right Side changing from a flat pattern ------ to the traditional \______ pattern so My queations is of its possible to just code Them like a flat Beam pattern ? And yes i have been looking all over the forum about this but havent found any one talking about just coding it to a flat Beam pattern . Kind regards
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 11:28 PM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daun View Post
I have a BMW 435i that i imported from UK to EU now i dont want to swap out the headlights i understand i cant change the headlights pattern to rhd due to the mechnic issues. But is it possible to make the Beam pattern flat? When i swap the lights from manual to auto i can se the right Side changing from a flat pattern ------ to the traditional \______ pattern so My queations is of its possible to just code Them like a flat Beam pattern ? And yes i have been looking all over the forum about this but havent found any one talking about just coding it to a flat Beam pattern . Kind regards
Not a problem we have in the States obviously, but I had wondered about RHD cars driving in the EU.

Someone posted years ago that there was a setting in idrive on RHD cars for flat beams when driving in EU LHD Countries.

However the consensus has been if titled and licensed in a LHD EU Country, you are required to fit LHD headlights to the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 06:26 AM   #3
Daun
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Not a problem we have in the States obviously, but I had wondered about RHD cars driving in the EU.

Someone posted years ago that there was a setting in idrive on RHD cars for flat beams when driving in EU LHD Countries.

However the consensus has been if titled and licensed in a LHD EU Country, you are required to fit LHD headlights to the car.
I have seen the post with the idrive settings and it was on a x5 i think. Well having a flat Beam pattern and not changing your headlights is 100% legal and Will pass a MOT.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 09:51 AM   #4
ProjektAutoScott
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

For what it's worth, I've opened and torn down three faulty or leaking Adaptive Full LEDs (LCI) for repair (Not worth it at all btw, absolutely ridiculous. hardest BMW headlight to open, modify, or reseal).

at least for the US version, it seems the beam pattern itself is created only by the plastic reflector bowl for each beam. The diodes themselves are fixed to the reflector. In a given housing, both bowls are fixed by linkage to two motors that control side-to-side sweep, and vertical positioning. I haven't seen a way you could change or remove the shaping of the beam or bowl to create a flat profile. You would need additional diodes in alternative positions relative to the bowls, or some sort of "roll axis" control at minimum to do so.

That's all I can offer, thanks for reading.

Does anyone know if other regions offer additional provisions in the housing for this? I am interested to know as well.

Last edited by ProjektAutoScott; 11-23-2019 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 11:49 AM   #5
Daun
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjektAutoScott View Post
For what it's worth, I've opened and torn down three faulty or leaking Adaptive Full LEDs (LCI) for repair (Not worth it at all btw, absolutely ridiculous. hardest BMW headlight to open, modify, or reseal).

at least for the US version, it seems the beam pattern itself is created only by the plastic reflector bowl for each beam. The diodes themselves are fixed to the reflector. In a given housing, both bowls are fixed by linkage to two motors that control side-to-side sweep, and vertical positioning. I haven't seen a way you could change or remove the shaping of the beam or bowl to create a flat profile. You would need additional diodes in alternative positions relative to the bowls, or some sort of "roll axis" control at minimum to do so.

That's all I can offer, thanks for reading.

Does anyone know if other regions offer additional provisions in the housing for this? I am interested to know as well.
Well what i can e there is 1 ray of 2 leds that create the "pattern" what it you just disconnect Them?

Referense https://cdn.bmwblog.com/wp-content/u...-lights-XL.jpg

Last edited by Daun; 11-27-2019 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0