E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > first problem@1,600 miles-Check engine, followed by ticking sound-any ideas?

04-04-2006, 10:57 AM   #1
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

first problem@1,600 miles-Check engine, followed by ticking sound-any ideas?

Hey,
So i started my car this morning, drove for a minute and the Check engine light came on and the steering wheel totally locked up. I immediately hit the brakes and pulled over to the side. I shut the car off for a min and started it up again and began to drive normally. The check engine light disappeared but now there is a very strange rattling noise coming from somewhere i can not determine. It only is audible if i rev over 4000 rpm. It's like a "click, click, click, click". The higher i rev the more noticeble it becomes. The car only has 1,600 miles on it. The noise is bugging me b/c i can figure out where its coming from and why. The engine, the vents? Is it just a normal bmw rattle?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 11:04 AM   #2
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Nothing normal about what you described. Do not pass GO, immediately rerout to your dealer for diagnosis and repair.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 12:54 PM   #3
porscheneer
Porscheneer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerista
Nothing normal about what you described. Do not pass GO, immediately rerout to your dealer for diagnosis and repair.
Thats man I agree.... make a B_LINE for the dealer and make sure you get a free loaner. Try an opt for a 5 Series.

porscheneer@hotmail.com
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
brian32e
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 Alpine White 330i ZSP

rattles are very bad if you're hearing it from the engine. you never want stuff bouncing around inside there...you can damage the whole block
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2006, 02:13 AM   #5
MG_2006325i_KG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Alpine White

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
maybe a chipmunk got up inside overnight and was asleep when you left.....
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2006, 01:03 PM   #6
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Hmmm...normally I'm very accepting of problems in cars as they do happen. Yet, it seems this E90, which has only been out for not even a whole year, has been plagued with many things from little to big.
Having your steering lock up is NO minor thing.

I know my lease is up on my E46 this May, but I'm thinking of buying it and keeping it till the 07's come out. Too many "software upgrades" and engine ticks, rough idle, and no run conditions, and dash lights going on, etc....

T
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2006, 05:33 PM   #7
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep

i've been listening very closely and i dont think the rattle is coming from the engine. I parked the car and opened the hood and lowered the windows and then revved to about 6000-7000rpm several times and there was no s rattling, ticking sound. Then i did this while driving and it came back. I think when the vehicle is rapidly accelerating something starts moving around somewhere. possibloy the vents or somewhere near the passenger door. Oh well, i guess i'll just live with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2006, 05:38 PM   #8
gr8sho
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent0986
i've been listening very closely and i dont think the rattle is coming from the engine. I parked the car and opened the hood and lowered the windows and then revved to about 6000-7000rpm several times and there was no s rattling, ticking sound. Then i did this while driving and it came back. I think when the vehicle is rapidly accelerating something starts moving around somewhere. possibloy the vents or somewhere near the passenger door. Oh well, i guess i'll just live with it.
If the CEL came on, the computer should have stored a code. I don't how how your dealer will work with you on this, but you should tell them what happened and ask them to do the analysis.
Jet Black - Burl Walnut - Black Leather - 6MT
Sport Package - Premium Package - Cold Weather Package
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2006, 06:04 PM   #9
roppongicorolla
all systems are go
Rep
Drives: 325i SG SPP

Some questions about the original post.

1. If the steering wheel 'totally locked up', how did you manage to steer off of the road?

2. What's preventing you from going to see the dealer on this? Or at least discuss it with your SA?

If the steering wheel locked up, I would have the car towed to the dealer, rather than driving. You'd have to pay the cost (maybe bmw will pick up the tab) but it could be worse.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2006, 07:44 PM   #10
stack
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

mine did that it was the maf sensor. they reset the computer and all is good

stack
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2006, 07:56 PM   #11
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roppongicorolla
Some questions about the original post.

1. If the steering wheel 'totally locked up', how did you manage to steer off of the road?

2. What's preventing you from going to see the dealer on this? Or at least discuss it with your SA?

If the steering wheel locked up, I would have the car towed to the dealer, rather than driving. You'd have to pay the cost (maybe bmw will pick up the tab) but it could be worse.
By applying a lot of force i was able to move it enough to pull over. Everything seems to be fine now minus the rattle and the car is still way too new and i dont want them taking apart parts, etc. messing up something in the process of looking for the problem. If it ever happends again, then i will definately take it to the dealer. As for now i am willing to live with the rattle. Everything else has been perfect and i'll have them take a look at the rattle when i get my oil change at 5,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2006, 03:18 PM   #12
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent0986
By applying a lot of force i was able to move it enough to pull over. Everything seems to be fine now minus the rattle and the car is still way too new and i dont want them taking apart parts, etc. messing up something in the process of looking for the problem. If it ever happends again, then i will definately take it to the dealer. As for now i am willing to live with the rattle. Everything else has been perfect and i'll have them take a look at the rattle when i get my oil change at 5,000 miles.
Trust, BMW techs won't start taking things apart. You would be happy if they actually acknowledged a real problem occured and fixed in a timely manner.

Don't sweat the "new" car thing. They become used cars very quickly. Would you rather have a fixed and safe to drive car than a car that might have the same problem again at a higher speed?
It won't look so "new" if your wheel locks up at high speed and you're near (hopefully) a retaining wall.
Do yourself a BIG favor and have the problem looked at.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2006, 05:41 PM   #13
flipmde786
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Probably shouldn't have floored it all the time during break-in...
      04-07-2006, 09:43 PM   #14
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipmde786
Probably shouldn't have floored it all the time during break-in...
I highly doubt its due to that. Im really glad i did do that though b/c the car feels much stronger and powerful now then it did when i started. I have determined that the rattle is not at all connected to the engine. It was probably just a mechanical malfunction. I re-started the car and it went away and has not been back since and i doubt it will. I've gotten used to the rattle and dont really care, i was expecting some sort of rattle. I was just worried it was coming from the engine but its not. I've never bought a bmw that hasn't developed a rattle.
2006 E90 330i RWD
2002 E46 330i RWD
Appreciate 0