Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Reversing assist

11-06-2019, 02:42 PM   #1
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport+

Reversing assist

Used the reversing assist for the first time today. My Mum has a very narrow drive with brick wall on both sides, literally 1 inch of space either side of the mirrors. Sends the parking sensors nuts!? With the rear anti collision thing it's a 'mare reversing back out as it keeps putting the brakes on given proximity to the wall.

However I enabled reverse assist today and it did a perfect job of getting me back out. Genius! :-)
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2019, 02:43 PM   #2
Cranester1983
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e M Sport

You not nervous trying it?! I would be 😂
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 03:00 PM   #3
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranester1983 View Post
You not nervous trying it?! I would be 😂
My foot and brake pedal were "close" bed fellows... :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 02:23 AM   #4
-Nick
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Very clever system. I used it for the first time the other day when parked at my sisters house.

Extremely narrow entrance and a bit of a snake down to the door where the charge point is.

The clever thing is it remembered the whole thing even after moving the car forwards after leaving it for 15 minutes completely switched off!
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2019, 08:50 AM   #5
Albmw1977
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e Lux f30

Using mine every morning to back out of my drive. It remembers the drive in from the night before - amazing!

Like you say Tricky I get a bit nervous as it goes a bit closer to my gate posts than I do but it hasn't hit them yet!

Also love the parallel parking, and used the normal reverse car park function the other day - parks way better than me 😂
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 09:56 AM   #6
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albmw1977 View Post
Using mine every morning to back out of my drive. It remembers the drive in from the night before - amazing!

Like you say Tricky I get a bit nervous as it goes a bit closer to my gate posts than I do but it hasn't hit them yet!

Also love the parallel parking, and used the normal reverse car park function the other day - parks way better than me 😂
I've still not use the automated parking, must give that a try, somewhere quiet so I don't look like a pillock when it goes wrong!? ;-) I presume when reverse parking it just parks in the "middle" of the space that's there, rather than in the actual space?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 12:17 PM   #7
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Blindfold party trick!?

#trust
      11-08-2019, 06:13 AM   #8
oldmick
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky6 View Post
I've still not use the automated parking, must give that a try, somewhere quiet so I don't look like a pillock when it goes wrong!? ;-) I presume when reverse parking it just parks in the "middle" of the space that's there, rather than in the actual space?
I used it the other day, very clever.
Crowded car park, one tight space which I wouldn’t have tried.
It started to reverse and was getting very close to the next car, then it stopped, engaged 1st gear, pulled forward a bit whilst adjusting the steering, back to reverse and parked perfectly.
Well impressed

Last edited by oldmick; 11-08-2019 at 11:00 AM..
Appreciate 1
tricky6239.50
      11-09-2019, 03:46 PM   #9
Albmw1977
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e Lux f30

Yes it parks in the middle of the space. Amazing how it works itself forward and backward and feels so weird just sat there watching 😂
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 03:52 PM   #10
-Nick
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

While the reverse parking is good, it doesn't take notice of the lines, only the gap.

So if somebody has parked bad and you use the parking assistant you'll end up closer to the lines than you'd want.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 04:19 PM   #11
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Nick View Post
While the reverse parking is good, it doesn't take notice of the lines, only the gap.

So if somebody has parked bad and you use the parking assistant you'll end up closer to the lines than you'd want.
Exactly. Should give the driver the choice to choose between obstacles or in center of space. But from what I'm gathering, it only identifies obstacles/cars, not spot lines. Maybe next gen.

Plus, with other cars in lot waiting on you to park, the parking function is a bit slow and often makes too many corrective actions. I'm thinking other drivers wonder if I just got my license. Lol. So, I used it a couple times but really don't anymore.
      09-25-2020, 09:22 AM   #12
abc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

instead of driving head first into a driveway, i like to back into a driveway, which is also a narrow driveway the brick walls on both sides. i like to back into it because subsequently driving out of it is easier, to see oncoming vehicle traffic perpendicular to me.

does the reversing assist feature allow you to 'save' and run a reverse sequence?

otherwise I guess, with the reverse assist feature, I'd just drive head first into the driveway, and always drive out of it with the rear coming out of the driveway using the reverse assist feature as intended.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 09:48 AM   #13
johnboysafc
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e MSport Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albmw1977 View Post

That's really useful to hear, as getting in and out of my garage is a challenge, i was wondering reverse assist would still remember the route in whilst its been parked up overnight, I'm sure my heart will be in my mouth the first time i try it, could forbid it goes wrong. Instant damage.
      10-01-2020, 02:52 PM   #14
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc View Post

does the reversing assist feature allow you to 'save' and run a reverse sequence?

otherwise I guess, with the reverse assist feature, I'd just drive head first into the driveway, and always drive out of it with the rear coming out of the driveway using the reverse assist feature as intended.
As far as I know, no it would not so yes to your second point.

We both use it every time we back out of our driveway, never failed us thus far.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 11:42 AM   #15
johnboysafc
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OM3RTA View Post
Quote:

We both use it every time we back out of our driveway, never failed us thus far.
Finally I have the car, loving it so far
Yes, used reverse assistance out of garage and out of drive, worked a dream, foot hovered over brake but works great
      11-29-2020, 10:40 AM   #16
Trevikins
Retired
England
Rep
Drives: G20 320i M Sport

Tried it today and was quite impressed, had to smile when I turned it off and the message came up “Drive Vehicle Yourself” it’s as if it was in a strop having to hand control back
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 09:36 AM   #17
johnboysafc
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboysafc View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Finally I have the car, loving it so far
Yes, used reverse assistance out of garage and out of drive, worked a dream, foot hovered over brake but works great
Well I've changed my mind and wont be using anytime soon

Using reverse assist off drive this morning and it went to close to the stone wall and caught the wheel arch
Badly marked, I'm hoping i can fettle myself if not off to the garage

What an absolute bummer
      12-02-2020, 01:14 PM   #18
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:

Using reverse assist off drive this morning and it went to close to the stone wall and caught the wheel arch

What an absolute bummer
That is unforuntate. As the system replicates your movements but in reverse, you may have been too close on the way in perhaps??
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 01:54 PM   #19
johnboysafc
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

What an absolute bummer
That is unforuntate. As the system replicates your movements but in reverse, you may have been too close on the way in perhaps??
But then surely i would have hit it on the way, not just on the way out?
      12-03-2020, 01:41 AM   #20
Axeman15
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

I agree with johnboysafc that if the wall wasn’t hit on the way in, there is a realistic expectation that all will be fine on the way out. It is however a painful warning not to completely rely on technology as you are ultimately in control of the vehicle and should be prepared to take intervening action.
I hope the damage is minor and you can fettle it yourself, I know I would be gutted if it happened to me.
Off topic, are you a Sunderland fan��
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 04:26 AM   #21
johnboysafc
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman15 View Post
I agree with johnboysafc that if the wall wasn't hit on the way in, there is a realistic expectation that all will be fine on the way out. It is however a painful warning not to completely rely on technology as you are ultimately in control of the vehicle and should be prepared to take intervening action.
I hope the damage is minor and you can fettle it yourself, I know I would be gutted if it happened to me.
Off topic, are you a Sunderland fan��
I've got some touch up paint and will give it a go this weekend or next

Hell yeah SAFC til I die